Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
bob ong
bob ong began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub set-up

Hi,

I heard so much about this forum which enriches the mind and was able to help it's members finally I decided to join since I could not find answer on this issue that I mentioned below.

Is there a way that my epub file can be prompted on one of the chapters of the book automatically during reading on any of the devices?

Note: I find in Kindle file they can prompt it by having the code "beginning" on opf under guide section.

thanks,
Bob
bob ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What do you mean exactly? You can determine where the book will start, that is not a problem. If you want to continue reading on another device, that device would not know where you were.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
bob ong

What I mean is I want my epub file to prompt one chapter of the book automatically every time I viewed the file. Is this possible? I know I can determine what should be the order of the book. However, I would like a chapter of the book will be the start of my epub file.

I hope you could help. Just like on kindle you can have the code "beginning". How about on epub?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still don't understand what you want, sorry. Do you mean that a book starts at chapter1, you read untill chapter 4 and when you reopen it will restart at chapter 1? Or should it start at chapter 5?

You can change the reading order to achieve that or use the TOC on the reader. Where a book starts while reopening depends on the reader though.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
bob ong

Do you mean that a book starts at chapter1, you read untill chapter 4 and when you reopen it will restart at chapter 1?

Above is the correct statement. Is this reader function and cannot be coded?
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard

Correct, that is a reader function. In the book only the sequence will be set. The reader software will use that to navigate through the book. Most readers I know of will resume reading on the page where you ended reading. However, most readers also have the possibility to go to the start of a book or read another book. For example, on my PRS-300 I can go to the home screen and there I can choose between continue reading from the last page I read, restart reading, go to a specific chapter or go to the library (there are more functions, but not that relevant).

I actually find it strange that the kindle would work differently, but it probably has something to do with the synchronization across devices.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ong View Post
Do you mean that a book starts at chapter1, you read untill chapter 4 and when you reopen it will restart at chapter 1?

Above is the correct statement. Is this reader function and cannot be coded?
That is what ADE based readers do. Open at the beginning of a ADE 'page'

Note: this is a per-storage device memory.
If the book is being read in Main Memory, only that reader 'remembers'.
If you use a SD Card and move the card to another ADE type reader, that reader should open at the last marker (those little ADE numbers on the right)

Why in the world would you want to keep me from 'saving my place'?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
bob ong

thanks Toxaris for all your responses