Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
samuel17
samuel17 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch
EPub is not valid

anyone here know about converting to an valid EPub file, i checked it online and it gave me errors and told me to post here and see so here i am. Any ideas guys? I have attached a screenshot of my errors. It's my first ebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPub screen.png
Views:	322
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	65480  
samuel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

welcome to Mobileread ...

I'll get this moved into the ePub Forum - it'll be better than in here which is the upload for the Mobileread Library ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
The first error is saying that, on line 11 of the file "chap01.xhtml" inside your EPUB file, there's an element which isn't properly closed. Given how early in the XHTML file that is, it's probably in the HEAD section of the file, and quite possibly one of the elements that consists of just a single tag, which should end in " />" - the most likely thing is that the closing "slash" character is missing. Alternatively, it could be an element that is missing the closing tag (e.g. for every <p> there should be a corresponding </p>).

The second error is indicating that, on line 14 of the file "titlepage.xhtml", there's an element with the attribute "PreserveAspectRatio", but the value given for that attribute is invalid. As far as I know this attribute is part of the SVG element, and the most likely value you'd want it set to is "xMidYMid meet" (see http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html...RatioAttribute).

If that info doesn't help you fix these errors, I suggest you give a bit more info about what format you're converting to EPUB, and what tool(s) you're using, and hopefully someone will be able to advise further.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try using Flightcrew for validating. It should give better information. For better help, we do need to some some code.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
samuel17

Thanks guys, im checking into flightcrew right now, just wanted to check in so you know im still here. Just started college again so im in and out. First im converting a word file to epub and im using calibre to do so. I had done some looking into this previous to making this ebub and seen about using a word doc and trying to edit out all its markups, im hoping i did that correctly. I looked at my one file, the chap01 file and from the looks of things i dont see that i have anything that is not closed. As for the other file i am still looking into it. I will post some screen shots. Thanks again.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	title_page.png
Views:	273
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	65770   Click image for larger version

Name:	chap01.png
Views:	267
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	65771  
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
samuel17

Heres the flightcrew screenshot guys, thanks again!

Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flightcrew screenshot.png
Views:	281
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	65773  
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Thanks for posting that info, Sam. I think the problems you're encountering are because of how you're saving off the Word file to HTML. You want to save as "Web Page, Filtered" - that will minimise the MS-proprietary stuff that goes into the HTML file. All of those XML files (colorschememapping, themedata, filelist, etc) are MS proprietary format files - in fact I think those are files that form part of the .docx XML format. They shouldn't be forming any part of the EPUB.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
samuel17

i was always wondering, the site i looked at online said to save as a web page, i was wondering if web page filtered would make the difference, i will try that as soon as i get a chance, i really appreciate your help. Im hoping to get some stories out there before i get too involved in college again. Thanks everyone!

Sam
Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
samuel17

hey guys,
been working on this more, anyone know a better way to convert word files to an xhtml file. I'm not sure if it needs to be xhtml or if html works, that's just the way i seen it. Anyway, the issue i have been seeing is that all of my apostrophes turn into questions marks and then i gotta go in and manually change them, good thing for the find feature is there a better way? Sorry if i post a lot, im finding new things as i go further with this.

Sam
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
samuel17

Got it to work! thanks for everyones hints. One thing i had to change was that my <title></title> was empty and i guess there needs to be something in there. :P as for aspect ratio thing, there is an option on calibre under output options for aspect ration and it needs to be checked. See this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86293
So thank you all for your help, now i just have to see if i can get it on the ibookstore.

Sam
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

That's excellent! Thanks for reporting back, Sam. Good luck getting it published in the iBookstore.

Tags
epub conversion errors