Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
wlwbishop
wlwbishop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650, iPad
Question how to change display cover on 650?

is there an option on what you would like to have for the cover of every specific book?
wlwbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwbishop View Post
is there an option on what you would like to have for the cover of every specific book?
I'm not quite sure what you want. Using Calibre, the ebook conversion and filing application [Wiki in forum], you can select a default cover image that Calibre retrieves from the internet [or any you can find]. I'm sure there are other ways depending upon the ebook's format. I don't know how you might change it if ebook has DRM. I'm sure other forum members will have additional suggestions.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Wallpaper for E-Readers

On my 350 I found two pictures on the reader. (A forrest and the Eiffel-Tower of Paris). I deleted both of them, and loaded an home made (from googled pictures) one on the reader, and use it as stand-by-wallpaper.

(Changing the book covers I don´t have missed until now. But about DRM-free books you have a folder, like a zip container, in which the title picture is saved. Just change it to another, and name it like the original one. Just an idea, I havn´t tried it myself.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook_wallpaper.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	60039  

Last edited by Romiman; 10-21-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
wlwbishop

Lightbulb

I meant book covers.
thanks anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you want. Using Calibre, the ebook conversion and filing application [Wiki in forum], you can select a default cover image that Calibre retrieves from the internet [or any you can find]. I'm sure there are other ways depending upon the ebook's format. I don't know how you might change it if ebook has DRM. I'm sure other forum members will have additional suggestions.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
wlwbishop

Thumbs up

i will give it a go. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
On my 350 I found two pictures on the reader. (A forrest and the Eiffel-Tower of Paris). I deleted both of them, and loaded an home made (from googled pictures) one on the reader, and use it as stand-by-wallpaper.

(Changing the book covers I don´t have missed until now. But about DRM-free books you have a folder, like a zip container, in which the title picture is saved. Just change it to another, and name it like the original one. Just an idea, I havn´t tried it myself.)
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Calibre Can Include the Dust Jacket [Book Cover] Image

Quote:
I meant book covers.
thanks anyway
By book covers do you mean the front dust jackets that come with paper books? If so, do you want them to be displayed on your Sony at the front of the ebook, just prior to the title etc? If both of these are true the Calibre solution will do that for you. It gives you the option of Calibre finding the "book cover" on the internet automatically with just a click or you can find the image yourself and tell Calibre to include it with the book.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
wlwbishop

i've done that but the reader still only shows the first page of some of my books as the book cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
By book covers do you mean the front dust jackets that come with paper books? If so, do you want them to be displayed on your Sony at the front of the ebook, just prior to the title etc? If both of these are true the Calibre solution will do that for you. It gives you the option of Calibre finding the "book cover" on the internet automatically with just a click or you can find the image yourself and tell Calibre to include it with the book.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
culverg
culverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheeseculverg can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-650
Delete thumbnails

Quote:
i've done that but the reader still only shows the first page of some of my books as the book cover.
I just discovered a few of my ebook covers didn't update in the reader after I used calibre to add a book cover (then transferred to reader). Solution for me was to navigate through folders to the thumbnails on the reader and delete the ones for these ebooks. I was able to do this only through my computer when synced (Windows for me, prob could do the same on a Mac). After the USB cable was removed, the reader rebuilds the thumbnails to the new ones I added with calibre. Read this tip from someone else here on the forum, sorry don't remember who so I can't give proper credit!
culverg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I did that myself last night, and the cover changed to what I wanted - converting a book from Epub to Epub in Calibre hadn't worked.
With your reader hooked up, go into the its databases until you get to your target book's entry of "main_thumbnail" (the item you are trying to change). Transfer your desired image to that location, delete the existing (previous) item, and then change the name of the new (transferred) cover image to "main_thumbnail" ... when you next check, that'll be your new cover!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
wlwbishop

success! thanks a lot guys!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've found that when travelling I like having my itinerary details on my 650 an RTF file. However, I dislike seeing a thumbnail consisting of (a blurred mess of) the first page of text, so I've found a nice generic pic (that has nothing to do with anything) to use instead!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Dethrocutionxx
Dethrocutionxx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
You could make thumbnails using this guide https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99560
Dethrocutionxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks - it was Squirsier whom I wanted to credit, but couldn't recall his exact screen name!