Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Are Tor-Macmillan still not on amazon?

just wondering as read John Scalzi blog about Amazon and can see that he isn't showing as having any ebooks or Pbooks for sale directly from Amazon?

I though this issue was over now?

Sony have them all at a decent price - http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?ke...scalzi&x=0&y=0

but Amazon US nothing? - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...scalzi&x=0&y=0

Oh and whilst looking I noticed Crichtons new book was expensive? why is this not $9.99?
EDIT it is $9.99 at sony? - http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mic...00000000183402

Are sony now the cheaper ebook store?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
milaru
milaru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Paperback/hardcovers are there. the ebooks are limited, probably as a result of macmillian's demands.

and pirates is 9.99 at amazon as well.
milaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaru View Post
Paperback/hardcovers are there. the ebooks are limited, probably as a result of macmillian's demands.

and pirates is 9.99 at amazon as well.

no it isn't its $13.79 http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Latitud...5122712&sr=1-7

No scalzi Pbooks or Hbooks direct from amazon either

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+tale&x=0&y=0
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
milaru

I can't buy from your link due to location, if I go search for it myself, its 9.99.

though you are right, no paperbacks show, hardcovers do though.

You said you are in the UK, which is probably showing you different results due to different publishers.

I blame you if amazon starts trying to sell me Scalzi if I wanted to read Dick or Heinlein, I would read them, not some guy who rewrote the cliff notes.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
no it isn't its $13.79 http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Latitud...5122712&sr=1-7

No scalzi Pbooks or Hbooks direct from amazon either

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+tale&x=0&y=0
I just tried it and it says not available for the US
Maybe I should get Pirates Latitude from the Pirate Bay

Just tried something different and it works now... and it still comes up as $9.99
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
milaru

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Latitud...5122409&sr=1-1

link for the US at 9.99
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I just tried it and it says not available for the US
Me too, but the weird thing is, if you click on the "Kindle Edition" under the formats list it pops up as "Available for download now", and if you click on it you are taken to a different page (one with a different book cover) where you can download it in the US. That link must just be to the UK version or something.

Edit: milaru beat me to it
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaru View Post
For me even that link shows-

Formats
Amazon Price New from Used from
Expand Collapse Kindle Edition
Kindle Edition
$13.79
Available for download now.
Published November 16, 2009
$13.79 -- --
Expand Collapse

I thought they only added a dollar on for non US purchases? I was considering Kindle at one point as at an extra dollar it was still cheap, but this is over $3 increase to me.

Obviously it is a UK US thing but as i said thought that was an extra buck!?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
I thought they only added a dollar on for non US purchases? I was considering Kindle at one point as at an extra dollar it was still cheap, but this is over $3 increase to me.

I don't know; it doesn't make any sense. It's supposed to be an additional $2 actually.

But if you had to buy them from a UK site like Waterstone's or WHSmith it would cost 11.30 pounds, which is about $18 US.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 02-02-2010 at 11:14 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
milaru

HarperCollins is owned by NewsCorp, and the tent is big enough to group all evil together?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
I don't know; it doesn't make any sense. It's supposed to be an additional $2 actually.

But if you had to buy them from a UK site like Waterstone's or WHSmith it would cost 11.30 pounds, which is about $18 US.
Just over $14 from BoB whoi will sell that one to me in the UK(I checked)

it was more the weird pricong of the amazon one when i thought it should be $9.99 plua a dollar cos im in uk.

other weirdness is I,Alex cross by patterson is $14.99 and witch and Wizards is $11.28 yet they are both $9.99 on US store.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
The surcharge varies by country. Plus you usually get your local VAT tacked onto the price as well.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
The surcharge varies by country. Plus you usually get your local VAT tacked onto the price as well.
I get that but thought it was a set amt eg $2 and VAT

but no two $9.99 in the US ebooks are priced differently in the UK, I,Alex cross by patterson is $14.99 and witch and Wizards is $11.28 How does that work? Witch and wizards doesnt even have the $2 added.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
I get that but thought it was a set amt eg $2 and VAT

but no two $9.99 in the US ebooks are priced differently in the UK, I,Alex cross by patterson is $14.99 and witch and Wizards is $11.28 How does that work? Witch and wizards doesnt even have the $2 added.
That's really bizarre. Checking from Poland, they both come up at $13.79...
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote