Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Let’s talk about old time (and some new) radio shows

Does anyone have any favorite radio dramas or comedies? I listen to a lot of old time radio, and thanks to iTunes have learned to appreciate shows such as The Whistler, Suspense, and X Minus One. Overall, I prefer shows that were before my time, but one favorite contemporary “radio” drama that keeps me coming back for more is Decoder Ring Theatre’s Black Jack Justice; the adventures of hardboiled detective Jack Justice and his partner, Trixie Dixon: Girl Detective. The stories are done in a humorous noir style, by which I mean you can almost see the shadowy and oddly angled black and white scenes coming through the speakers. You can download all of the episodes for free at http://www.decoderringtheatre.com/blackjackjustice/, but of course they do encourage donations.

What are your favorite radio shows?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Radio dramas... I don't think I've ever listened to one... At least, not on the radio.

There was one radio program I'd always listen to when I was a child (just after going to bed). The commentator had a really "used" voice and he'd read poems made by listeners, alternated with some nice music (soft-soft pop...) I'd always fall asleep (or mostly so) by his voice alone, so soothing.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What are your favorite radio shows?
I'm rather fond of comedy on BBC Radio, of which the best is probably I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue, "The Antidote to Panel Games". The 52nd series just finished — it's been going since 1972!. It was chaired by Humphrey Littleton until his death in 2008. It now has a new regular chairman, Jack Dee.

Perhaps my favourite round is "Sound Charades", which led to the spin-off series, Hamish and Dougal
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I used to listen to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall back in the Seventies.

<creaky door opening>
"Come in. Welcome. I am E. G. Marshall."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm rather fond of comedy on BBC Radio, of which the best is probably I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue, "The Antidote to Panel Games". The 52nd series just finished — it's been going since 1972!. It was chaired by Humphrey Littleton until his death in 2008. It now has a new regular chairman, Jack Dee.

Perhaps my favourite round is "Sound Charades", which led to the spin-off series, Hamish and Dougal
I just listened to some clips from that I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue. The humor reminds me of the kind of stuff you hear on My Word, also a BBC production that I hear occasionally on one of our local Public Broadcast Stations. When I do hear My Word, I always enjoy it, especially the hilarious stories the panel members concoct around a well-known quotation, saying, or proverb.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm rather fond of comedy on BBC Radio, of which the best is probably I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue, "The Antidote to Panel Games".
Yes, ISIHAC is excellent.

Some other fav BBC radio comedies:
Hancock's Half Hour (my all time favourite!)
Clare in the Community
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ed Reardon's Week
16 Storeys High
Round the Horne
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I used to listen to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall back in the Seventies.

<creaky door opening>
"Come in. Welcome. I am E. G. Marshall."
I love that one, and the late E.G. Marshall had the perfect voice for announcing those tales. I do have to admit to being slightly put-off at times with his pseudo-scientific sermonizing about how humans deny that which they cannot understand which seems to adorn every episode, but that's a small thing, and it does fit well with the genre, so I never really lost any sleep over it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-25-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yes, ISIHAC is excellent.

Some other fav BBC radio comedies:
Hancock's Half Hour (my all time favourite!)
Clare in the Community
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ed Reardon's Week
16 Storeys High
Round the Horne
THHGTTG is my all-time favorite, although I've only heard the original run of the show. I'm not familiar with any of the others you mentioned.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-25-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Just fyi, there was this thread on this subject last summer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49845
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that was the thread that I started. I'm a huge fan of radio shows, and have hundreds of GB of them on disk. The nice thing about radio is that it doesn't use much storage space, so you can fit huge amounts onto an iPod!

Must admit that comedy from before my own time doesn't really appeal - I've always found comedy to be a very "generational" thing. The BBC have done excellent radio versions of some of its classic TV comedy shows - Dad's Army, Yes Minister, Steptoe and Son, etc; all wonderful!

Drama is more my thing. I'm a big fan of all the old detective ad SF shows, both British an American (although I do still find it very odd, when listening to, say, the 1940s "Sherlock Holmes" stories from the US, to hear Dr Watson suddenly going into rhapsodies about "Petri wine", or whoever happened to be sponsering the show at the time ).

In case anyone doesn't know, "Internet Archive" (www.archive.org) hosts a massive collection of old (mainly American) radio shows. And it's all legally downloadable, too!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I used to like "Lenin of the Rovers"; a BBC comedy about one man's attempts to set up a communist football team. Alexei Sayle played Ricky Lenin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin_of_the_Rovers
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Just fyi, there was this thread on this subject last summer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49845
Didn't know about that thread, but it's a "Seriously Thoughtful" one, and I intentionally left that banner off in order not to frighten away folks who may wish to interject some humor or veer a bit off-topic from time to time.

Not that that's ever stopped me before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that was the thread that I started. I'm a huge fan of radio shows, and have hundreds of GB of them on disk. The nice thing about radio is that it doesn't use much storage space, so you can fit huge amounts onto an iPod!

Must admit that comedy from before my own time doesn't really appeal - I've always found comedy to be a very "generational" thing. The BBC have done excellent radio versions of some of its classic TV comedy shows - Dad's Army, Yes Minister, Steptoe and Son, etc; all wonderful!
If I'm not mistaken, the BBC's Steptoe and Son was the inspiration for the Red Foxx TV vehicle Sanford and Son.

There are a few old comedy radio shows that I like. The Jack Benny Show is one of them. While the character of Rochester is at times painfully close to being a minstrel show knockoff, I do enjoy the way he was always getting the best of every verbal exchange with the show's white star, something actors of color rarely did in those days. Fibber McGee and Mollie also have their moments, as does Duffy's Tavern, but as a rule, I agree that comedy is highly generational.

Another comedy that stands up well in my opinion is Our Miss Brooks.

Quote:
Drama is more my thing. I'm a big fan of all the old detective ad SF shows, both British an American (although I do still find it very odd, when listening to, say, the 1940s "Sherlock Holmes" stories from the US, to hear Dr Watson suddenly going into rhapsodies about "Petri wine", or whoever happened to be sponsering the show at the time ).
Ah yes, Petri wine! Those radio adaptations of famous detectives such as The Adventures Of Nero Wolfe, Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot, and The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes as a rule seemed to stray far afield of their creator’s original intention, they were still great fun!

One of my favorite old time radio detectives is Boston Blackie, who always seemed to be on the verge of getting himself arrested for the very crime he was trying to solve.

Rogue's Gallery is another one of my favorite private eye detective shows. What made Rogue's Gallery unique is that at least once in each episode, Richard Rogue would get knocked out, at which point he would have an encounter on Cloud Eight with his alter ego, Eugor, who usually managed to provide a hint to the solution of that episode’s mystery. (And you thought TV’s Mannix got a lot of hard knocks to the head! Well, actually, he did.)

Quote:
In case anyone doesn't know, "Internet Archive" (www.archive.org) hosts a massive collection of old (mainly American) radio shows. And it's all legally downloadable, too!
Thanks for that link, Harry!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-25-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I have a problem with most old American Radio shows, in that what you find is mostly over-compressed Mp-3's that sound like they were recorded on Edison's original cylinder machine.

As to comedy shows, you might try Bergen and McCarthy. Edgar Bergen got away with lots that would have been censored at the time. Downright modern....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm with Sweetpea, never listened to a radio show. But I know a guy and his wife who collect and sell (but mostly collects, you should see their house) antique radios. Look here http://radioattic.com/gallery.htm?st...thedral_Radios

Last edited by DixieGal; 01-25-2010 at 08:33 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I have a problem with most old American Radio shows, in that what you find is mostly over-compressed Mp-3's that sound like they were recorded on Edison's original cylinder machine.
Some of the really old radio shows sound pitiful, but of course that's more a result of the limited technology of the days in which they were recorded than it is of the current (yes, limited) MP3 technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
As to comedy shows, you might try Bergen and McCarthy. Edgar Bergen got away with lots that would have been censored at the time. Downright modern....
Thanks. I've heard some of the Bergen and McCarthy shows, but none of the really racy stuff I heard rumors about, such as the shows with Mae West that led to ultimate ban from radio.