Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm Losing Weight and Getting Active Again

Hey Guys.

So about 3 weeks ago, I went to go fix my aunts computer at her office. I'm kind of their on-call computer tech. I get about 1-2 calls a month for an easy 120 bucks for about 1-4 hours work, More if I have to stick around longer, Most of the time I get paid 120, for about 1 hours work.

The accountant guy said "Hey partner (he calls every guy that, he's weird) I see you’re putting on a little weight." I just said I guess so, and then I fumed for about a half hour about how I should have told him off saying it’s not polite to say that, blah. But anyway...

The Next day I broke out my Scale which I haven’t used since my last diet, between September and December of 2007, where I went from 280 to 215. I was tired of my weight, and there was this girl l liked (I told her how I felt about her and kissed her for the first time on Christmas eve, after midnight though, so Christmas day) anyway, we have been together since that time, so we are coming up on 17 months in a few days.

So I was 215 when I stopped dieting because my girlfriend just kept feeding me, and we went out a lot, and I knew I slipped, but I didn't think I went too far over 230 in all this time. I stepped on the scale, and it was 249!!!!!!
The next day I was 245 and change so 3 lbs already in one day!

I was shocked to say the least, and I started my diet the next day. Today marked my 21st day on the diet, and I've lost a grand total of 13 Lbs making me at 232 and change.

If you want to know how to diet effectively, read the Hackers diet by some software engineer who wrote AutoCAD or something, anyway, he was a chub ball all his life, and he became a millionaire, and he wanted to lose some weight.

Anyway, after 3 weeks I've decided to get active again more, like I was in the 215 range, where I was actually able to run a whole block without stopping, or walk up 3 flights of steps without breathing heavy. And I HATE exercising. I do like going out, but I'm not able to get efficient exercise from that, so I need some other way to do that.

In comes DDR, or for your people over 30, Dance, Dance, Revolution. It’s that dancing game people play in the arcades (or at home with the proper mat) and my Dance mats came yesterday! My old dance pad caught on fire when it was under my bed, and I jumped into bed, and my metal bed frame cut open an extension cord (it was super heavy duty) threw some sparks, and made a small fire. This was almost a year ago.

I was looking at the CDC website earlier, and they Recommend 2 and a half hours a week of Moderate Aerobic exercise! I'm like wow, that's a lot, that's more than 20 minutes a day. But, for a game like DDR, that makes it fun! So I broke out my handy little Excel spreadsheet that I use to mark the calories I eat every day, and my daily weight, and I set it up so if I get less than 2.5 hours of exercise a week, some cells will glare at me in red, and if I’m good and get more, they are green and happy.

There is just one little thing I have to do, and that work in weight training at least twice a week per the CDC’s recommendations, which means push up, and sit ups but 2 days a week isn't too bad.

There is one upside to all this Exercising though, and that is I made a promise to myself that any calories burned exercising is free calories and I don’t have to count that on my calorie count, so 15 minutes of DDR is about 100 calories burned, so that means I can eat whatever I want and feel good about it cause I worked those calories off exercising, and I deserve a treat.

Also based on a 3 and a half pound a week loss, which is what I averaged my last diet (it has been a bit more at the start of this one but I expect it to go down in the coming weeks) I will be at 200 Lbs for my Trip to Las Vegas in August! Yay for me. Still chubby, but I will feel good about myself when I’m hanging about the pool at the Luxor Hotel.

In Closing. I’m declaring Ownership of this thread and will post updates about my weight loss to it, I did this on the forum I was admin at during my last diet, but due to a Bi-polar Co-admin and owner, this site shut down, and lost most of its members because he was always trying to make it “better” so we lost a 1000 member website because he could never just leave the damn thing up, and he would shut it down for days or weeks to do crap to it. This pissed me off, and pissed my members off more. It’s nice to talk about my achievements online, and makes me feel good. So here I go.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You are declaring ownership of the thread.... do you want words of encouragement - 'cause we'll glady let you have those....

I assume your weights are in pounds - you may have to include stones & pounds and kilogram conversions for the cousins-twice-removed by pond and revolution .....

I could tell you my weight - but you want encouragement ....

What ever you do, take it slowly and keep your goal in mind ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
You are declaring ownership of the thread.... do you want words of encouragement - 'cause we'll glady let you have those....

I assume your weights are in pounds - you may have to include stones & pounds and kilogram conversions for the cousins-twice-removed by pond and revolution .....

I could tell you my weight - but you want encouragement ....

What ever you do, take it slowly and keep your goal in mind ....
If you want, or you can laugh in my face every time you go out to dinner, or eat a nice bag of chips, have a bunch of reese's peanut butter cups, or got full on a nice turkey and mashed potato dinner. ate a pint of ice cream for desert, with a side of 2 pies.

I wrote pounds, but I can convert it to pints of water if you like, 1 pint = 1 pound, convert from there, (I believe for kilos divide by 2.2) and my family goes back to the very first colonists, so maybe 14 times removed or so. I didn't translate my post to french, I don't need to translate it to English. this can get very confusing very quickly if I say I went down a pant size for example during my last diet, I went from a 44 to a 38, and my 38s have been a little tight lately (30 lbs can do that to you). these are different in every country too. If you really care you can look it up, or you can just see a difference of a certain percentage, 13 from 250 is about 5%, so I've lost 5% of my body mass in 3 weeks. (for stones? who actually uses that, divide by 14? this is a weird one) or you can convert using calories, 1 lb of fat- 3500 calories, so I've lost 45500 calories of fat so far.

My GF weighs Half of what I do, Other peoples weights don't affect me. any fat person knows its just a number, and skinny people are lucky. there are fat pucks, and skinny fhits. and as long as neither one acts holier than thou, they are okay in my book.

My Unofficial goal is 180 + or - 30 lbs. based on current losses, 180 will come sometime in september
Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I wrote pounds, but I can convert it to pints of water if you like, 1 pint = 1 pound, convert from there, (I believe for kilos divide by 2.2)
I wouldn't worry too much 'bout converting for us metric folk, Andybaby. If I go to Google, and type "200 pounds to kilograms", or even just "200lb to kg", Google throws up the conversion before any actual search results. Easy.

FWIW, my goal is 69kg (152lb). Actually, my first goal is 76kg (162lb). Note, I'm short - my legs barely reach the ground.

Which is to say, I'm now following the thread out of some vicarious, empathetic fellowship.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I wouldn't worry too much 'bout converting for us metric folk, Andybaby. If I go to Google, and type "200 pounds to kilograms", or even just "200lb to kg", Google throws up the conversion before any actual search results. Easy.

FWIW, my goal is 69kg (152lb). Actually, my first goal is 76kg (162lb). Note, I'm short - my legs barely reach the ground.

Which is to say, I'm now following the thread out of some vicarious, empathetic fellowship.

Cheers,
Marc
I had like about 150 kilos early in Januar, down to 98 today. What did I do, you ask? No Noodles, no white bread, no rice, no sugar, no potatoes, no fat and a lot of exercise. It's that simple, really!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I had like about 150 kilos early in Januar, down to 98 today. What did I do, you ask? No Noodles, no white bread, no rice, no sugar, no potatoes, no fat and a lot of exercise. It's that simple, really!

yep - the virtual chocolate helped too ....
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
If you want to know how to diet effectively, read the Hackers diet by some software engineer who wrote AutoCAD or something, anyway, he was a chub ball all his life, and he became a millionaire, and he wanted to lose some weight.
Seconded, I used the Hacker's Diet site about 10 years ago.
It worked for me, it's free, and I've managed to keep the weight (approx 50lbs) off since.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard

that's great to hear that the hackers diet worked for someone else.

personally I think it, or something like it should be required reading for every single parent and person of age. I learned more about the human body then than I did my entire life.

I've been over weight my entire life, and so has almost everyone in my family. I never really knew how bad Junk food is for you until I read that, 7 tostitos has more calories than a can of coke, and a can of coke isn't that much better.

I allow myself to cheat, I Eat TV dinners whenever I can help it (perfectly portioned meals that make me full, and have less than 300 calories?) my main foes are
Candy, which I never really ate that much of unless easter was around, I love Reeses
Sugared drinks, this wasn't too hard to give up after a while and I got a taste for diet coke, which I hated at first.
Pastries, I can knock back a whole entenmanns in one evening. look how evil they are http://entenmanns.gwbakeries.com/
Chips, Also can knock back one bag per evening.

So I basically give all those things up, and I eat portioned meals, and smaller meals, and besides the first 3 days of a diet where I try to eat close to nothing, I'm not hungry.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm going to start a routine in the next week or so. I gained weight over the last 6 months (insane stress/lack of sleep=not enough exercise/eating badly) and want to get it off before I move in August.

I'm not a DDR guy (I suck at rhythm games) but I should be getting the new EA Sports Fit in the next few days for my Wii. So, we'll give it a try. My knees are shot from my younger days and I've a rather permanent case of planar fasciitis so my options are somewhat limited to low impact when it comes to these things.

Good luck on your plan!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I'm going to start a routine in the next week or so. I gained weight over the last 6 months (insane stress/lack of sleep=not enough exercise/eating badly) and want to get it off before I move in August.

I'm not a DDR guy (I suck at rhythm games) but I should be getting the new EA Sports Fit in the next few days for my Wii. So, we'll give it a try. My knees are shot from my younger days and I've a rather permanent case of planar fasciitis so my options are somewhat limited to low impact when it comes to these things.

Good luck on your plan!
It'd be great to see how you find the Wii & the Fit, and see if it really does help as an exercise option....
Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It'd be great to see how you find the Wii & the Fit, and see if it really does help as an exercise option....
the Wii is a great get off your ass system, I never had the wii fit, but I broke a sweat much more than once playing wii sports tennis. Unfortunately, very few other wii games let you have as much range of motion as wii sports had.

and my gf is horrible at DDR too, but its still fun, I'm "okay" and getting "better" but I do it more for the fun. it does have an Internal calorie counter, and based on the amount of sweat it kicks my butt, Im sure its close to acurate. about 1 slow song is 5 calories, to fast songs with lots of steps, 15 (on beginner and Light) but Cardio is good, 3 days in an I already seem to have a bit more energy.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #12
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Glad you have made that commitment and started on a better healthier life. I too am starting now as I need to lose around 30 lbs. Whew... here's to our losing weight.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote