Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
applecore
applecore began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Best device for public library use?

I am looking into purchasing a device that I can use to read public library ebooks on. These are usually either in Adobe PDF or Mobipocket format. I don't have any experience with using e book devices, and frankly, my head is spinning. Am I correct in understanding that any Adobe file would need to be reformatted? Can this be done with library loaned titles? Buying a device like this is quite a big deal for me financially, and I want to make sure I could utilize free library resources as much as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
applecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Most of the library books are readable by the Sony (Adobe files). If you do that, I think you have to download Adobe DE. A smaller portion are mobi, which can be read by the Kindle. Did you check your library to see which is more common?

I haven't downloaded any library books to my Reader, but I know a lot of people on here do and really enjoy it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
As of this week, Adobe PDF, Adobe Epub and Mobipocket books from the library overdrive service can be adapted to work on Sony or Kindle. But only if you use Mobidedrm or one of the scripts written by i♥cabbages for the Adobe formats, and a format conversion software such as Calibre. Netlibrary ebooks do not work on either device although they have announced that they will be working with Sony in the near future.

Therefore, as mentioned above, check out what ebooks your library offers. It varies a lot from library to library.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
As of this week, Adobe PDF, Adobe Epub and Mobipocket books from the library overdrive service can be adapted to work on Sony or Kindle. But only if you use Mobidedrm or one of the scripts written by i♥cabbages for the Adobe formats, and a format conversion software such as Calibre.
Removing the time-limiting DRM is akin to stealing the book from the library (or do you really think that people are going to delete the book after whatever the checkout period is?). Please don't do it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I agree with HarryT on this one. While I loathe DRM, plucking around with Library ebooks is just not a good idea.

I would hope that Libraries and publishers will come to a unification of sorts on how best to lend books digitally (time limiting epub would see the best bet... Amazon just needs to get in the spirit of things and support epub).
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't tried it but I assume you can download Mobipocket library books to the iRex DR1000S by inputting your Mobi ID. iRex will also be updating the DR1000S to support secure Digital Edition PDFs and ePubs in "quarter 2 of 2009" (read 2010). But thanks to i♥cabbages's excellent INEPT program and Adam's FBReader port, the DR1000S already supports both these formats.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Applecore,

Have you checked out the library list here? :
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

I have a Sony 505 and joined the NY & DC libraries.
I have found lots to read from those.

I choose the Adobe pdf format and use Adobe Digital Editions
software (free) to download the books.

Good luck!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
As of this week, Adobe PDF, Adobe Epub and Mobipocket books from the library overdrive service can be adapted to work on Sony or Kindle. But only if you use Mobidedrm or one of the scripts written by i♥cabbages for the Adobe formats, and a format conversion software such as Calibre. Netlibrary ebooks do not work on either device although they have announced that they will be working with Sony in the near future.

Therefore, as mentioned above, check out what ebooks your library offers. It varies a lot from library to library.
Sony requires no adapting for either PDF or Epub files. The DRM is supported on the Sony device. PDF is by far the largest supported format by libraries.

There is a fix for Kindle devices that does not remove DRM but adapts the mobi formatted library eBooks for Kindle use. You do not have to remove DRM.

Cybook and iRex Devices support Mobi library books with no modification. Hanlin and its clones may but I haven't gotten confirmation on this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
I just bought an iRex iLiad Book Edition and became a member of the DC overdrive library. I have already checked out and read about 5 books in mobi format on the iLiad and it's really fun. I do wish that iLiad supported DRM'ed Adobe PDFs because a lot more books are available as PDFs than as Mobi-formatted. I hope, and I think I am hoping for too much maybe, that if iRex starts supporting DRM'ed PDFs on the Digital Reader, they would provide the same functionality for the iLiad.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
I am hoping for too much maybe, that if iRex starts supporting DRM'ed PDFs on the Digital Reader, they would provide the same functionality for the iLiad.
That they already stated that they will not be doing so. It will be for the DR series only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That they already stated that they will not be doing so. It will be for the DR series only.
I figured as much. Oh, well. I guess it will be mobi for the library books then.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote