Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Airport device hand luggage ban

Hello all

Have you seen the latest news about airlines in the UK and US banning electronic devices in hand luggage on flights from certain countries?

UK flight ban on electronic devices announced - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

I'm off on holiday to Turkey in may from the UK with my h20. I think it falls inside the limits given, but only in that it's narrower depth.

I hope the airline don't make my kobo travel in my suitcase, I shall go out of my mind without my kobo to read!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Hello all

Have you seen the latest news about airlines in the UK and US banning electronic devices in hand luggage on flights from certain countries?

UK flight ban on electronic devices announced - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

I'm off on holiday to Turkey in may from the UK with my h20. I think it falls inside the limits given, but only in that it's narrower depth.

I hope the airline don't make my kobo travel in my suitcase, I shall go out of my mind without my kobo to read!

"The ban applies to any device larger than 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5cm deep. It includes smart phones, but most fall inside these limits."

I think your Kobo falls within those limits - even my Aura One is smaller than that.

Last edited by Ashjuk; 03-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
"The ban applies to any device larger than 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5cm deep. It includes smart phones, but most fall inside these limits."

I think your Kobo falls within those limits - even my Aura One is smaller than that.
The way I read it, the One, which is more than 16 cm long and more than 9.3 wide, would be banned inside the cabin, but then I'm French. In French, as in mathematics, OR is inclusive, and just one dimension above the limit would mean out.

From where I am it looks like another of those Trump-style drop of a hat decision, not well thought out, nor precisely delimited, with potential arbitrary applications according to how people understand them. Not to forget that very few non native speakers have a good level of English (with documented dramatic consequences for pilots and their passengers).
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a simple solution to the problem. The ban is on direct flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia to the US or UK. The way to be able to use your H2O on the way home is to not fly direct.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Well, that rules out the Kobo Glo HD. It's wider than 9.3 cm.
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Perhaps this was really done to create a market for a new Kobo Mini...
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Perhaps this was really done to create a market for a new Kobo Mini...
I thought it was to help paperback sales.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
The way I read it, the One, which is more than 16 cm long and more than 9.3 wide, would be banned inside the cabin, but then I'm French. In French, as in mathematics, OR is inclusive, and just one dimension above the limit would mean out.

From where I am it looks like another of those Trump-style drop of a hat decision, not well thought out, nor precisely delimited, with potential arbitrary applications according to how people understand them. Not to forget that very few non native speakers have a good level of English (with documented dramatic consequences for pilots and their passengers).
You are using "or" correctly - it is inclusive. Some of our recent policies - exclusive.

One would hope that such a policy was based on real concerns or threats.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
One would hope that such a policy was based on real concerns or threats.
Apparently, it looks like it may have been instigated at the behest of certain American airlines who felt that they could not compete with the native airlines from those places which allegedly receive massive government subsidies. Certainly, it seems to have perplexed many security experts.

New U.S. electronics ban could cause travellers to reroute trips

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34375382/

Experts criticize US electronic devices ban on some flights from Middle East

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-tsa-airports
Old 03-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #10
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I was considering buying a second hand mini as a holiday device. But a) that means no taking it into the pool and b) I think it's too long as well at the end 102 X 133 x 10 mm.
I think I'll have to buy a magazine and a mobile battery pack. Four and a half hour flight with no kobo!
My h2o has a gecko slim case. If I stick it inside a padded envelope them inside the suitcase, do you think it will survive being hold luggage?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:10 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post

My Aura One is larger than 9,3cm wide! Dimensions Aura One: 195.1 x 138.5 x 6.9 mm
Even de Aura Edition 2 won't be allowed: 159 x 113 x 8.5 mm (too wide)

Forget about the Kindle as well: 169 mm x 117 mm x 9.1 mm (too long and too wide).
Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
My Aura One is larger than 9,3cm wide! Dimensions Aura One: 195.1 x 138.5 x 6.9 mm

Forget about the Kindle as well: 169 mm x 117 mm x 9.1 mm (too long and too wide).
Even the Kobo Mini is 10.2 wide.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:58 AM   #13
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Yes my mistake.

I read it that your device had to exceed ALL those dimensions and as such would be allowed under the 15mm thickness rule.

As you say the One would certainly fail under the height and width.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just don't book a direct flight from any of these countries to the US or UK. Make sure you have at least one stop someplace else. That's how you can take your devices with you on the place.

With this ban in place, sales of direct flights is going to tank (IMHO).
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

With this ban in place, sales of direct flights is going to tank (IMHO).
I read somewhere a theory that this is exactly what the ban is aiming for, as the banned airlines are generally offering lower rates than their US counterparts.
Closed Thread