Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Don't want a case: How to clean off fingerprints?

I think the title says it all. I like using my Cybook without a case. That said, the texture on the case picks up finger oils and sweat like a CSI's dream. I've tried gently wiping with a microfibre cloth but they don't budge.

Is there a way to prevent fingerprints short of not touching the unit, or remove them without damaging the unit?

Thanks for any experience.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Microfibre cleaning cloths work great for the screen but, as you say, they don't work very well on the casing.

I wipe mine occasionally with a damp cloth soaked in warm, soapy water and well "wrung-out". That does the job.

I have to say that you're taking a considerable risk using it without the case - I wouldn't do it personally, but it's obviously your choice to make!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I think the title says it all. I like using my Cybook without a case. That said, the texture on the case picks up finger oils and sweat like a CSI's dream. I've tried gently wiping with a microfibre cloth but they don't budge.

Is there a way to prevent fingerprints short of not touching the unit, or remove them without damaging the unit?

Yes, there is. Go to the drugstore, purchase a "soft" toothbrush and some Windex (or other glass cleaner). Put the cleaner on the toothbrush or in a small bowl (do not spray it on your ebook reader, it might run into the edge of the screen), and gently (very gently) scrub it with the toothbrush.

That will break down the oils and get the dirt in a form that you can then remove it with the microfiber cloth.

If you have any doubts, use the method on the back side of your reader first. The key is to clean the plastic (or metal) without scratching it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I use eyeglass lens cleaner wipes. They work well on lenses, computer screens, and my reader, the case and the screen.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I use eyeglass lens cleaner wipes. They work well on lenses, computer screens, and my reader, the case and the screen.
Same here. Works great.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to say that you're taking a considerable risk using it without the case - I wouldn't do it personally, but it's obviously your choice to make!
The subject line is so short I didn't really elaborate. I HAVE a case (the one it came with). I use it for transporting the reader around but when I'm sitting in a place and reading I find it big/bulky/just not as attractive as the coverless reader.

I'd like to think that the risk to the reader is minimal. Really the main danger is dropping it. Man, I hope I don't do that. I don't drop books very often, however so I'm not too concerned that I'll drop the Cybook.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Whereas I drop things all the time. I am clumsy at the oddest times and tasks. I can juggle five balls at once (well, I used to be able to, at the height of my juggling prowess) but woe betide anyone between my coffee cup and its coaster. Stairs get me too, my toes are always slipping off the step or getting stubbed on the risers.

So, I always keep my Reader in it's cover. I prefer the feel of leather to metal/plastic anyway. (I prefer the feel of silk to leather, and skin to silk... but never mind that.)

I'm still looking for a thin, strong, metal case to snug the Reader w/ Cover into during air travel, when it's riding around in my laptop bag.

That said, I'll reiterate (merely to stay on-topic) that lens wipes are the ticket. The alcohol breaks down the skin oils and then evaporates, leaving that clean, dry feeling we all love.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't have a case and you do drop your gen3, you risk is breaking the screen but good. Not saying you can't break the screen withthe case, but without, the chances are a lot greater. And I would never take a reader of out of the house with no case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'd like to think that the risk to the reader is minimal. Really the main danger is dropping it. Man, I hope I don't do that. I don't drop books very often, however so I'm not too concerned that I'll drop the Cybook.
I read in bed and fall asleep while reading with great regularity. I probably wake up in the middle of the night 2 or 3 times a week to find the Gen3 on the floor. The case has protected it with 100% efficiency - so far .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I use screen wipes on the screen and case. They're available from computer/electronics shops.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st.../product/N1242
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

The only reasons I use Windex and a soft toothbrush are because:

1. It's cheaper in the long run, and
2. Most of the materials go in the recycling.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
2. Most of the materials go in the recycling.
You're right and I'm all for recycling.

I use a single wipe to clean my PC, iLiad, phone, desk, watch, shoes - but then I have to discard it.

I'll try to think of a way to recycle the used wipes...
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #13
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:

Why do you want to remove the greasy layer? That's the equivalent of an old and dusty book. It's cool, don't destroy it.

Seriously, you can bend completely the case, so that you can hold it comfortably with just one hand. It's as if you were holding an empty DVD case.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #14
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Yes, get to love dirt, Rheo.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
You're right and I'm all for recycling.

I use a single wipe to clean my PC, iLiad, phone, desk, watch, shoes - but then I have to discard it.

I'll try to think of a way to recycle the used wipes...
Hmmmm .... one last use as toilet tissue maybe???