Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Anjalena
Anjalena began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Calibre>Kindle Touch conversion problems pdf to mobi

Firstly, I am a supreme newbie with Calibre.

But that brings me to the Secondly part. Once I get the book converted and transferred to my Kindle Touch, I notice that my book is filled with errors. A lot of it is added punctuation where there shouldn't be any; randomly placed commas, periods, quotation marks, etc. And some words are partially or fully converted to symbols instead of letters, like the word "I'll" sometimes comes out as I'// or /'//. A couple of times I've seen an entire word that was converted to symbols like is commonly done with curse words; like &(*%&^, for example.

Then some letters are converted to 2 letters or vice versa like an n becomes ri (or the opposite) and things like that. Misspellings are also common. I'm reading the Wheel of Time series and consistently the name of a female character whose name was Erian was spelled Brian. Also the name of a race of people is Aiel and it was sometimes spelled correctly and many times was spelled Aid instead.

And the last issue I have that happens EVERY chapter is the symbol/image and initial capital at the beginning of chapters is placed at the top of an otherwise empty page that precedes the first page of the chapter. It's like it's picked up from the first chapter page and moved to that empty page at the end of the previous chapter.

Since I read fantasy books, I expect some conversion issues on odd names, but some of these odd names, like Moghedien, are converted correctly every time while others are a toss-up.

Is there a way I could tweak the settings in Calibre to help it convert my pdf books more accurately to mobi?
Anjalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Read this before Posting PDF Questions
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Anjalena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Oh thanks, Peter. That explains a lot.

I do have Adobe Acrobat Professional. It was mentioned in the link you gave me that some conversion or changes could be made without Acrobat Pro. Do you know what and how?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Your pdf is made up of images with bad hidden OCR as discussed in sticky - Acrobat Professional has an OCR engine you can try to use, but IMHO it's not worth the effort to use for a whole book, it was really a tacked on feature without an effective editing interface. ABBYY Finereader is much better for the task, but even with that I'm guessing you will not want to go through the effort required, which is substantial.

Google for Acrobat OCR if you want to research more.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps you could go back to the place where you bought your books and see if they have ePub or Mobi versions available? Where did you get them from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Anjalena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Your pdf is made up of images with bad hidden OCR as discussed in sticky - Acrobat Professional has an OCR engine you can try to use, but IMHO it's not worth the effort to use for a whole book, it was really a tacked on feature without an effective editing interface. ABBYY Finereader is much better for the task, but even with that I'm guessing you will not want to go through the effort required, which is substantial.

Google for Acrobat OCR if you want to research more.
Thanks for the help, Idolse. I'm already looking into getting the books in another format. Not sure if I can afford it though. Most of the ebooks I want are around $8'ish a piece, which is probably around the same price as a physical book so I can't complain. But my income is very small. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps you could go back to the place where you bought your books and see if they have ePub or Mobi versions available? Where did you get them from?
They were a gift to me last year from a friend. I feel awkward about going back to her about it. How do you go back to someone and say "Hey, those books you bought for me didn't work right."? I'm looking into buying them in a different format. Thanks Harry. =)
Old 06-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
operaguy
operaguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie with Major Conversion Issues

Hi, all. I have a conversion issue that seems a bit different, though, in trying to fix the problem I have duplicated everybody else's problems!!

I use Mathtype in Word 10 under Windows 7. The docx documents look great. The conversion to HTML (filtered ) works great. The import into Calibre seems to work except that the equations are half a line off. Actually, the line of text is suppressed half a line and the placement of the equations seems correct.

I tried to go to a PDF document. It looks great. Calibre renders the first page OK and the rest is....not so good. In fact, a direct docx import does not go to completion and throws off an error.

So, Calibre seems to be mishandling something in the HTML....and I don't pretend to understand the switches in it. I lack the vocabulary and experience.

Is it possible that a direct upload...and I should probably have done this before writing this note...to Amazon in HTML format might turn out OK using what has to be a conversion engine on steroids up there in the cloud.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

Operaguy...and yes, I like opera.
operaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, kindle touch, mobi, pdf