Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Davet
Davet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the color really worth it?

So I'm wondering if the nook color is really worth the extra $100 (for me anyhow). I really just want an ereader, don't care about mp3's or surfing the web, etc. The main reason I'm considering it is that I've read that it has much better pdf support, and I do have quite a few Rpg and gaming books in pdf format. (Plus alot of novels in PDF I'm not sure I want to spend the time converting) My other question is how bad is it reading of the backlit screen? is it anything like reading off my computer monitor for hours? Sorry if I rambled, I am a little scatterbrained today...1st day of not smoking lol.

Last edited by Davet; 12-12-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I would say it depends. IPS lcd screens are nothing like the lcd screens from years ago when we used to complain about eye strain. The colour screen definitely comes in handy if you also want to read magazines.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
snowman55
snowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle3, nookcolor
why not get both? kindle3 and nookcolor (nc). The former for long stretches of reading; the latter for pdfs, comics, apps etc.
snowman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Towerblock
Semi-Noob
Towerblock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3, Nook Color
I don't really find reading on the nook color as comfortable as reading on my Kindle or Sony 350. The nook color screen is beautiful for color and I use it mostly to surf the web and watch movies. When it comes to reading a book though I go back to my epaper readers FWIW...
Towerblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I think the Nookcolor is worth it and I have read on it for stretches of 2 hours and it is a great reading experience. I like the idea of having an eink device for outside, but honestly if I could only have one I would have the Nookcolor.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
If reading on the screen is fine, which it is for me, then yes It'll be worth especially with your PDF's and if you have gaming books then you are going to want the color I would think.

but yeah I say it's worth it.

Last edited by boswd; 12-13-2010 at 12:04 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Definately worth it.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I returned the Nook Color because i really didn't like reading on the LCD. Using it for comics was OK, except the PDF support really isn't all that stellar. There's a little more versatility since it is a touch LCD screen but the software is really lacking. It has the same limitations as other Android platforms, which, for some reason, just fail to render some PDF files. I don't think it's just a QuickOffice thing, either. Multiple PDF viewers on my Droid have had this same problem: some PDF files just show up with red X's across the pages. This was the case with the PDF file I downloaded from JSTOR and tried on the Nook Color. My Kindle can handle it fine. I just have to read in landscape. Not a problem, especially since I enjoy reading on the Kindle so much more. Another thing with the NC is that the screen on the one I had got glitchy and would sometimes stop responding or zoom in and out on its own. I've had issues like this with my Droid before, as well. It became too much of an issue for me while trying to read comics, which require a lot of zooming in and out. If your only interest is reading and you're not worried about color content like magazines, I would definitely recommend an eink reader first.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
best think to do is seek one out via friend or in the store and read on it a bit
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'm familiar with the PDF want. I'm looking at using the Pathfinder RPG .pdf files on it. They worked great on my HP TX2 convertible tablet, but it's heavy and gets maybe 3 hours of battery life these days.

I'll let you know how Pathfinder / 2nd ed. AD&D looks on it as soon as I get a chance.

For reading, I prefer e-ink. But the NC will be nice for PDF, office files and the occasional app / websurfing once I get it rooted.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
LCD is LCD, right now can't be compared to eink technology. It does not matter if we're talking about Nook 1st gen, Sony or Kindle, eink screen is way much easier to your eyes.

What about battery life? Even with Nook 1st gen. we are talking about 5 to 6 days of battery life with initial charge, 7 days with Kindle DXG and 3 weeks with Kindle 3. With heavy usage Nook Color will give you 6 hrs and maybe 10 with moderate use and no wifi.

You want to read Manga or PDFs? Kindle DXG! The 9.7 inch screen is perfect. The Kindle DXG supports PDF natively and even in portrait you can read easily and comfortable any PDF document.

I'll wait for an color eink device which I know is probably coming in 2011 or 2012. Meantime I do believe that if color is a "must", most suitable alternative is a tablet.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Davet
Davet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I really can't afford to buy both. But I think I may have to go with the nook...or maybe a sony. I will wait to decide until I actually go play with them. Thanks for everyones help!
Davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
Well, I really can't afford to buy both. But I think I may have to go with the nook...or maybe a sony. I will wait to decide until I actually go play with them. Thanks for everyones help!
You should check out the Sony 650 if lack of wireless is no biggie. I don't see how the NOOK e-ink could be recommended for PDFs. If you have to search for a reason to buy the NOOKcolor then it's probably not for you.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
My 2 cents :-)

Please check several books (some you already have, some you would like) on B&N bookstore before buying; that way you will be sure or get an idea of what to expect in terms of available ebooks for YOUR taste. You can also go to Best Buy or Target and feel, touch, play, with the ereader yourself before making a decision.

In terms or hardware, Sony is a better piece of hardware, but Nook is backed up by B&N bookstore which nowadays has wider title selection than Sony.

However, I would not recommend a Nook or Sony, not even a Kindle 3 as a PDF ereader. A Kindle DX is a better choice for PDF documents.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-13-2010 at 09:24 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Snard
Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Here is my 2 cents as a new Nook Color owner. Please note that I've never owned an e-ink reader.

I really like the LCD screen for reading books in darker places, like riding the bus in on my early morning / late afternoon commute, or sitting propped up in bed. The backlit screen means I don't need a reading light; the page glows back at me & is very readable (I changed the color scheme to the tan background with black text). The screen resolution is such that I don't see any jagginess of the text.

I for one am very happy with my purchase.
Snard is offline   Reply With Quote