Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Do E-Books Make It Harder to Remember What You Just Read?

Here is an article in Time magazine on the topic: http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/1...-impair-memory

What do you think?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
No. I suspect it is age.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Not age necessarily. I'm 66 and I don't have any more trouble with ebooks than paper.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I most assuredly do not have that problem. I agree it's probably age.

I did notice they said people remember things they read based on "spatial landmarks" and I must say I am not aware of ever using such a method even subconsciously. But I can remember some very obscure details about books.

And if I want to find something I read before, and could easily flip through the pages because I know exactly where it was -- maybe it was 2 pages ago or something -- I can flip through my Kindle just as easily. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE between flipping through a book and a Kindle, except the size of the page. If I end up searching, it it in a situation where it would take me >15min. to find it manually...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
mnha
mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kindle 4S; Paperwhite 2012; Nexus 7.2; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
I suspect the research is flawed.

They've bombarded psychology students with economics. Given my overall experiences with human scientists, I'd be hard pressed to exclude technophobia as a serious source of bias. Most students of those sciences I've met were of the "print your email, underline important parts, scribble on the margin and sort the whole mess into neat folders with colour-coded tabs" variety. That approach doesn't work well with ereaders/tablets.

Being reduced to learning strategies you're not used to might well explain lagging behind your peers. I suspect if that experiment was repeated among computer scientist students, you'd get significantly different results. Not the kind of study I'd put a lot of faith in.

Anecdotal "evidence" about "ebook moments" is plain useless. I've had plenty of these moments with the dead tree editions, myself.

Nielsen's argument about context lost has some merit, though.
mnha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It is not as easy to flip back screens as it is to flip back pages. It is not as easy to find something that your mind remembers was near the bottom of the page when there's no page.

The search function only works if you remember the specific wording rather than the idea.

I am bemused by the way any criticism of e-reading, however slight, seems always to be met here with disbelief and disdain.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Its the opposite for me. I finally can read the font properly without squinting and getting distracted from trying to read towards the spine. Or trying to pry open a new paperback with 2 hands, which feels like a workout sometimes.

Now I just read and get lost in the story. So I don't skip or get distracted. These issues of mine with paper had only crept up in the last some years. Before that with just paper, I remembered everything I read the same I do now, as far as I can tell. Probably still as bad with names as I was before. Real and fiction.

I only read fiction.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It is not as easy to flip back screens as it is to flip back pages. It is not as easy to find something that your mind remembers was near the bottom of the page when there's no page.

The search function only works if you remember the specific wording rather than the idea.

I am bemused by the way any criticism of e-reading, however slight, seems always to be met here with disbelief and disdain.
I guess it kind of depends. Personally, I have no idea in any book I have EVER read where on the page something was. 16 years of reading and only 2.5 years with an ereader.

I would have to disagree about turning pages -- I can't tell the difference between the usability either way.

Search does not require specific wording, only keywords based on what's been going on in that scene. I never have a problem with working it out, although maybe other paople are different. I wouldn't just discard the idea though.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I do think ereading reduces the mnemonic aids in memory. However, let's consider the fact that it is an unfair test to compare psychology students given economics textbooks. I don't know about you, but most of the psychology students that I knew in college did poorly in economics with paper textbooks. In other words, they already suck at the subject given the previous technology (textbooks).

Quote:
I have no idea in any book I have EVER read where on the page something was
This is completely dependent on how you learn. I know I used this method of remembering in chemistry and physics classes, but not in classes where it was solid text like English Lit. In fact, I still use that memory by location to remember how to set up converting to different measurements now that I almost never need to use it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:

Why isn't it as easy - all my ereaders and tablet apps (apart from the Kindle app) have page numbers that stay the same so if it was at the bottom of a page then it's still at the bottom of a page... and search only requires remembering a word in the idea - I agree if you can't even remember a word then search is useless but then, even in a paper book, you have to recall something to page back and find earlier material.

Probably the defence of ereading tends to be because most people, on here, are a elf-selecting, strongly pro-ereading group by the nature of the forum - mobile read...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I love my ereaders and whilst I will read paper I prefer ebooks. However I do identify a little bit with this. I'm honestly not sure whether my decrease in recall is just age-related and co-incidental with my use of ebooks or if there's a link. I do think that the lack of some of the context doesn't help. I'm definitely someone who remembers which part of a page I read something on.

Search is great but it does depend on remembering the right keywords. If I'm reading a book about a magical ring and I want to find the name of the character who first had it that may be a tough one. If I search for "ring" I'll got lots of hits. I'll also get phrases like "that has the ring of truth about it" or even, depending on the reader's software things like "wondering" etc. Now if I know I'm looking for a particular scene that was on the bottom left hand page at the start of a new paragraph...

Another thing I find interesting is that the thing about screen size. I've found I do prefer reading on my PC monitor or TV screen (using an attached Android device) a lot of the time. So I wonder if there's something in that.

All that said, I do still love my devices
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Why isn't it as easy - all my ereaders and tablet apps (apart from the Kindle app) have page numbers that stay the same so if it was at the bottom of a page then it's still at the bottom of a page...
But even if the page numbers remain the same you won't necessarily remember the page number. And if you're holding a physical book you're more likely to remember roughly how far through you were from the thickness of the pages read so far, than you are to remember that the page number was in the 60s-90s if you only ever glance at the page numbers anyway.

At least that'd be true for me.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

It can be just as hard to remember exactly where something is in a paper book as it is in an ebook (IMO). We think that it's easier to work with paper pages because we've had some 400 + years of using that media. No doubt there were some back when books went from scrolls to manuscript (early books) who felt that scrolls were easier to access than the early books. It's all a matter of point of view I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
But even if the page numbers remain the same you won't necessarily remember the page number. And if you're holding a physical book you're more likely to remember roughly how far through you were from the thickness of the pages read so far, than you are to remember that the page number was in the 60s-90s if you only ever glance at the page numbers anyway.

At least that'd be true for me.
Yes, this is what I mean--I'll have a sense that something I'm looking for was a third of the way back in the middle of the page. I don't know the page number, unless maybe it's the page I began on that day.

I can remember taking tests in college and visualizing the textbook page to try to retrieve some bit of information in my memory banks. If I needed to do that with an e-book, I don't know that I could--there's nothing to help differentiate one screen from another so that I'd be able to access the memory.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It can be just as hard to remember exactly where something is in a paper book as it is in an ebook (IMO). We think that it's easier to work with paper pages because we've had some 400 + years of using that media. No doubt there were some back when books went from scrolls to manuscript (early books) who felt that scrolls were easier to access than the early books. It's all a matter of point of view I think.
Fine, I'm willing to accept that in a few hundred years, our memories will adapt. But for now, it seems quite reasonable that studies would find that generally people remember info on paper more easily.