Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
Aquila1nz
Aquila1nz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can no longer add books to Calibre

When I click the Add Books button in Calibre I now get an error message:

calibre, version 4.18.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>Exception</b>:File dialog failed (return code -1073741819):

calibre 4.18 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-8.1-6.3.9600-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8.1', '6.3.9600')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('8.1', '6.3.9600', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 6, 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\add.py", line 494, in add_books
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\win_file_dialogs.py", line 254, in choose_files
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\win_file_dialogs.py", line 208, in run_file_dialog
Exception: File dialog failed (return code -1073741819):

I've tried updating the software, and I've tried excluding Calibre and the library files from my Norton Antivirus, but I still get this error message.
Aquila1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your computer, most likely the anti-virus, is blocking the calibre
helper process for file dialogs (calibre-file-dialog.exe). Disable the
antivirus or add an exception for calibre-file-dialog.exe and you should be
fine. Alternatively, you can tell calibre to not use native file dialogs, which
avoids the helper process, by setting the CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS
environment variable to 1 as described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #3
Aquila1nz
Aquila1nz began at the beginning.

Thank you, adding calibre-file-dialog.exe to my Norton ignore didn't work, but not using Native File Dialogs for Calibre did work, I can add books again!
Aquila1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I can't remember, does windows 8.1 have its own version of Defender? If it does, you might want to try investigating that to see if it is interfering for adding books.

Since you've got a solution already though, it might be more work than you care to do
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing to do is dump Norton. It is one of the worst programs ever and it really does slow down your computer a lot. Just use the AV that comes with Windows 10. It works well and does not have false positives.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #6
sjefclaassen
sjefclaassen began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something on your computer, most likely the anti-virus, is blocking the calibre
helper process for file dialogs (calibre-file-dialog.exe). Disable the
antivirus or add an exception for calibre-file-dialog.exe and you should be
fine. Alternatively, you can tell calibre to not use native file dialogs, which
avoids the helper process, by setting the CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS
environment variable to 1 as described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
I was adding some books and suddenly it did not work anymore I downloaded the latest program and it still does not work. "calibre-file-dialog-exe does not react" so from one momen t to the other. What can I do?
sjefclaassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjefclaassen View Post
I was adding some books and suddenly it did not work anymore I downloaded the latest program and it still does not work. "calibre-file-dialog-exe does not react" so from one momen t to the other. What can I do?
Did you try setting the environment variable that Kovid suggested.

It worked for Aquila1nz

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding books, calibre, error