Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Spectre-7
Space Invader
Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Wifi 5.0
Palm Tungsten Screen Scream

I'm still doing the bulk of my reading on an ancient Palm Tungsten E2, but I've had some problem with the notorious screen scream (i.e., the device puts out a hideous, high-pitched whine whenever it's on). I've been using Warpspeed to lessen the scream, and that did the trick for a while, but it seems to be getting worse lately.

I'd love to upgrade to one of the new crop of dedicated e-readers, but I just don't have the disposable cash right now. I also kind of like having a backlit screen, since I tend to do a lot of reading at night and in poor lighting conditions.

Anyway, I've heard rumor that you can remove the scream altogether by dismantling the device, and placing a small scrap of paper between two components. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm not particularly afraid of taking anything apart, but I'd like to hear that it works before I go monkeying around with its innards.
Spectre-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
This is apparently achieved by placing something (such as a piece of paper) between the digitizer and the screen to increase the gap between the two. I'm afraid I haven't had any experience with this myself though, so I can't offer you any more information than a search engine can.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-7 View Post
I've been using Warpspeed to lessen the scream, and that did the trick for a while, but it seems to be getting worse lately.
Hi Spectre-7,

before you start dealing with the hardware itself: Did you try PXA Clocker or Whinehack instead of Warpspeed? Apparently some people found that one of those dealt with their problems. Thankfully I didn't ever have to try myself, so it's just second-hand-knowledge here, too.

I hope that you are successful!
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Spectre-7
Space Invader
Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Spectre-7 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
before you start dealing with the hardware itself: Did you try PXA Clocker or Whinehack instead of Warpspeed?
Oh goodness... I hadn't heard of either before. During my hunts, I only ran across Lightspeed, Warpspeed and the aforementioned hardware modification, so thanks a bunch, beachwanderer! I'm so glad I asked, and I'll definitely give Whinehack a shot.

Last edited by Spectre-7; 10-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Spectre-7
Space Invader

Whinehack turned out not to be compatible with my device, and my obstinate insistence on trying it anyway resulted in a few crashes. Drat. Guess I'm off to check out PXA Clocker.
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, too bad it didn't work out.

The things I've read about clocking down a device with another programm, Lightspeed, don't look very promising either ...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Spectre-7
Space Invader

Quote:
Ah, too bad it didn't work out.

The things I've read about clocking down a device with another programm, Lightspeed, don't look very promising either ...
Well, I think I've had enough adventures in crashing my Palm for a little while. The good news is that with Warpspeed, it is fairly quiet; as long as I don't put it near my ear, it's still difficult to hear. And if it gets worse, I could always go back to wearing earplugs like I did before I got Warpspeed.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
beachwanderer
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-7 View Post
And if it gets worse, I could always go back to wearing earplugs like I did before I got Warpspeed.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Spectre-7
Space Invader

Quote:
Never heard a Palm with screen scream, I gather? Heck, it was so bad I used to chase my nieces around with it.