Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub==>azw3 cannot read book on Kindle

I've been working on a book conversion. I have text I scraped off the web browser screen and have had to hack at the html/css a lot to get a properly working ebook.

So, I finally got the epub looking just the way I want it (without all the extraneous crap on the web page), UTF8 characters all display, lines wrap properly (which they didn't at first).

so then I convert to azw3 to put it in my Kindle for PC (version 1.17), copy it over to that computer and drop it in MyKindle<whatever> directory, open up the Kindle Reader, choose the book. well, to my surprise, I get a proper screen for displaying the book, but it is empty, just gray. the left and right arrows are there, and the various screen headers are there, but nothing displays and none of the buttons change that.

Crazy thing is, this azw3 displays fine in Calibre, and the Calibre conversion log shows no errors.

so I convert epub ==> mobi, and the mobi works fine on the Kindle Reader.

anybody got a clue where I should start?

(I can't really upload the azw3, since I can't distribute this ebook.)

this is done using Calibre 3.15 on Linux.

thanks, in advance!
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That an azw3 works in calibre dos not mean it will work on a Kindle. indles use a special, particularly bad HTML renderer of their own, and there is no way to debug it. The only viable approach is to systematically replace parts of the HTML/CSS until you find the offending bits.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigh, that's what I was afraid of. I can just stick with the mobi, which does work instead of beating my head against the concrete wall.

thanks for the response!
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote