Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #31
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
The PRS-500 and 505 displayed a blank screen when powered off, so they are not fit for your purpose.
on the 500, i believe that if you leave the unit powered on and turn off auto-power settings, when the battery runs out completely, the image will remain on screen. i've seen this happen.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
but the sony has one built-in feature that others have to be hacked for it to work. this feature is the ability to use your own images as the standby screen. i actually planned to use one older device (prs-500) for a door sign or a static photo display with this feature.

the other use for this, especially the smaller prs 300/350, is to hold images of shopping cards with bar codes so that i don't have to carry all these cards.

seriously, what is the problem with this feature that kobos/nooks/kindles don't include it built-in?
My Nook ST had this built in. So did the original Kindles. What they learned over time is that customers would screw things up (image file types or dimensions for instance) and call to complain.

My guess would be if Sony was still making readers, they wouldn't have this any more either.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I disagree w/you. Have a T1 bought in 2011 @ Walmart for $100, still working. Also purchased a T2 refurb unit for $35 from Tiger Direct in 2012 which I'm presently using. Guess the bargains are in the eyes of the beholder.
Yes, but that was 2011 and 2012. Would you buy them today for $100 when you can get the Glowlight 3 or the current Paperwhite for the same price?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #34
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
on the 500, i believe that if you leave the unit powered on and turn off auto-power settings, when the battery runs out completely, the image will remain on screen. i've seen this happen.
That's bad for the battery, and will kill it eventually. So, I'd only do something like that on purpose if I never wanted to change the image again.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #35
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Sony always made good looking e-readers but IMO were late adopting the ability to buy and receive ebooks directly without going through a computer. Also never updated the firmware for the Nook store apparently on some of their earlier readers such as the PRS-950 as near as I can tell. The T1 and T2 still styled nicely but with plastic bodies and a cover that followed the design of the Kindle snap-in cases as introduced with the K4 and KT Kindle e-readers. Sony never adopted a lighted screen for their readers either, sticking with the cases with a integral light. Most users apparently preferred the integrated light design adopted by the competition.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #36
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That's bad for the battery, and will kill it eventually. So, I'd only do something like that on purpose if I never wanted to change the image again.
bad for the battery is correct. but this device has such a poor e-ink screen compared to the modern screens that i don't use it for reading anyway. the battery issue is moot because i could just plug it in to change the image when needed, set the newly uploaded image as the static image each time i need to change it. then unplug for it to remain static. in this sense, it may even be better not to have a battery installed. but i'm not sure it will even power on without a battery to go through.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I disagree w/you. Have a T1 bought in 2011 @ Walmart for $100, still working. Also purchased a T2 refurb unit for $35 from Tiger Direct in 2012 which I'm presently using. Guess the bargains are in the eyes of the beholder.
That was then, this is now. Now a Sony Reader is not worth $100.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony Reader....

1. Older eInk screesn with less contrast and less resolution,
2. Slow processor
3. Old versions of RMSDK
4. No hyphenation except for the T3
5. No front light
6. 600, 700, & 900 are awful

Given what you can get these days, $100 for a Sony Reader is not worth it. I know newer Readers can cost more, but you get a lot more.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #39
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
My PRS cost

T3 £25 (boxed, new, unused)
T2 £20
650 £20
500 £15

None of them were from eBay. All fit my needs perfectly and perform admirably.

If I'd have been patient I'm sure I could have found them for less.

Look at sold prices, not the prices people are asking. Look elsewhere than eBay.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 12-20-2017 at 06:16 AM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
My PRS cost

T3 £25 (boxed, new, unused)
T2 £20
650 £20
500 £15

None of them were from eBay. All fit my needs perfectly and perform admirably.

If I'd have been patient I'm sure I could have found them for less.

Look at sold prices, not the prices people are asking. Look elsewhere than eBay.
You did get cheated for the 600.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
EDIT: Both sold now.

In case someone is looking for a T2, there's one currently on sale at eBay for $20.99 (Buy It Now) and $7.95 s/h. My brother has bought Kindle Fires from this seller in the past and they were as advertised. I can't personally vouch for this listing, however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-e-Read...cAAOSwjlBaOo0y

Same seller has a T3 (in standard case) for $50 plus $6.25 s/h.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-E-Read...0AAOSwQlJZw7ZZ

(T3 now sold.)

Last edited by rcentros; 12-21-2017 at 09:30 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 AM   #42
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
In case someone is looking for a T2, there's one currently on sale at eBay for $20.99 (Buy It Now) and $7.95 s/h. My brother has bought Kindle Fires from this seller in the past and they were as advertised. I can't personally vouch for this listing, however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-e-Read...cAAOSwjlBaOo0y

Same seller has a T3 (in standard case) for $50 plus $6.25 s/h.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-E-Read...0AAOSwQlJZw7ZZ

Thanks for the info. I have bought from this seller too. I got a Kindle Voyage with 3G and Wi-Fi for about half price. Item looked to be new except not in original packaging. Not a visible scratch on it. They still have a bunch of them for the same price I paid if you visit their ebay store.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #43
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

I have now watched three PRS-950 units actually sell on ebay. The first, with some small dead spots on the screen, went for $50 with shipping. The second, from Russia, went for $88 with shipping and the latest, from Canada, with Sony accessory original case and shipping went for $120. I suspect that the higher price listed units sell very slowly if at all at the asking prices.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #44
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Crazy! I got my 950 from Shopgoodwill.com and it was $8.99 plus shipping of $12.99. No dead spots, original box and charging cable too. They don't come up often but if you watch on there, you'll find them.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone know how to change the battery of a 950? What battery does it take?

If you buy a 950, you risk getting one with a battery that's on it's way out if not already and if you cannot change the battery, it's not worth the risk. My 650 needs a new battery and if I still used it, I'd have changed the battery. But chances are it may never get used again.