Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
LittleBiG
Connoisseur
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, PW1, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Enforce saving the settings

I use KOreader on an Onyx Boox Nova 3, and my problem is that when I start the update process, and choose the button install, KOreader closes so the update could happen. But it doesn't save the settings first, so I lost everything I did in that session. As a result, I will be back at a previous place in the book on the next restart, without that changes I made in that session. Doesn't an automatic save happen sometimes? Is it possible to invoke it somehow? To work this around, I close and restart KOreader every now and then, but this is not really comfortable.
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
IIRC, it's enabled for *document* settings by default (something like every 5/10/15 minutes).

A better solution would be to make sure the Android close-before-update actually does save the settings, which is something that vaguely rings and bell (as in, I think it was fixed like 2 days after the introduction of the revamped Android OTA updates).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The fix was in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/7753.

When the download is ready and you click "install" the first thing it does is broadcast a request to save settings (see https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L485-L498). Maybe the broadcast is not received before the app is killed.

The broadcast itself ought to work, as is the same used to save settings in the rest of scenarios.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
LittleBiG
Connoisseur

I tested it a bit more. Yes, the regular save happens and it seems to be 5 minutes. (However, once or twice I lost a lot more reading - an hour at least -, something probably prevented the autosave). Pazos, that broadcast doesn't arrive in time I am afraid, the last update also thrown me back a bit.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@LittleBig: I reopened https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/7724. In the mean time please don't read while the app is being downloaded. Or do read and cancel the prompt, exit your document and check for updates again. Since the update is already downloaded it will prompt again without delay.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:22 AM   #6
LittleBiG
Connoisseur

"AFAICT the bug cannot be reproduced killing the app (as in: 1. open app, 2. read a few pages 3. kill app from recents)."

Of course it can be reproduced. If I understood you and your comment was related to this problem. No save happening on killing, or actually there is no save before suspending either. If I open the case, start reading, then kill the app, I am thrown back to a location before suspending.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@pazos meant "on a sane device". Onyx is known to break a lot of the Android lifecycle assumptions in fun and interesting ways.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro

Even on a sane device YMMV. Probably a better way of saying the same is: "The bug cannot be reproduced when the onSaveInstanceState callback is triggered".

Last edited by pazos; 07-14-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
LittleBiG
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pazos meant "on a sane device". Onyx is known to break a lot of the Android lifecycle assumptions in fun and interesting ways.
Ah, I see. It makes the development harder, but for book reader point of view there is a definite advantage: my Nova 3 could achieve 30 days with one charge, more than 30 hours on-screen time, never switched off but sent into sleep. I think this is unbelievably good for an Android based ebook reader. It turned out that onyx and koreader could be really great together as koreader is really efficient in resource usage.