Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
nogre
nogre is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Kindle 3 lightweight web server for local browsing?

Hi,
I'm new (and I'm not much of a programmer), but a quick search of the forum didn't answer my question.

I'd really like to be able to access local files through the web browser, but local access seems to be blocked. So I thought that instead of getting the browser to look at local files, why not try to fool the Kindle into thinking that they were 'online'.

To that end I ask: How hard would it be to implement a lightweight web server to run in the background on the Kindle? Could we then access files via http://127.0.0.1/myHtmlFile?

Thanks!
nogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
lrizzo
lrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogre View Post
Hi,
I'm new (and I'm not much of a programmer), but a quick search of the forum didn't answer my question.

I'd really like to be able to access local files through the web browser, but local access seems to be blocked. So I thought that instead of getting the browser to look at local files, why not try to fool the Kindle into thinking that they were 'online'.

To that end I ask: How hard would it be to implement a lightweight web server to run in the background on the Kindle? Could we then access files via http://127.0.0.1/myHtmlFile?

Thanks!
There is a web server integrated in the merged terminal/launchpad program at http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/kind...indle-terminal

However, note that the browser refuses to run if it cannot turn the wireless/3g on, so you might be out of luck even with a local webserver. There is probably a way (through entries in the filesystem, or perhaps messages on dbus) to make the browser think that the network is on, but I have not investigated the issue yet.

cheers
luigi
lrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
browser, html, kindle 3, offline