Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Sample books

"1984" is great of course, but has anyone read "Excavation"? Sounds like mega pulp to me. (I won't bother with "The Italian's Stolen Bride".)
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I hope no one thinks that the Italian's Stolen Bride is an example of the quality of romances because it is not. I could barely finish it and I am a romance reader. I won't begin to guess how Sony choose it's free books, but it certainly wasn't by quality.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don't know anything about excavation. These Amazon reviewers seem to like it, but their description seems to rule it out for me. I'd rather buy another that I'd really like than read this one just because it's free. As was said in another thread, life's too short to read books we don't care for.

I liked the Star Trek Vanguard book. Unfortunately it's Book 1 of a series, and Book 2 is not available yet. It has, however, got me interested in reading more Star Trek books.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Aw, I dumped 'em all immediately and inserted things I really want to read! (can't beat Jane Austen though, of course) . No accounting for taste. As the cliche goes, so many books and so little time!

As an aside, don't you think a big gorilla like Sony could have popped for inserting a couple of complete works (public domain titles even, geez!) instead of just sample extracts. They probably figured most of us would delete what was there anyway...
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I too thought the Vanguard book was decent, the first Star Trek book I've read. I just went through last night and culled all the samples, I left a few on there that I thought looked interesting from reading Amazon, like Excavation and Cell.

I just finished Ilium by Dan Simmons last night, 1,300+ pages on the reader, available in the Connect store. It was a pretty good sci-fi book, I've never read anything by him before. Some interesting ideas I haven't seen elsewhere. I also grabbed the Sherlock Holmes works from gutenberg and reformatted in Word to RTF, etc... and put it on there. It was my first non-Connect book so it took a few tries to get the formatting how I liked it, but it looks pretty good now.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 10-18-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Well, I bought The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman from the $50 registration credit and just finished the 1st chapter. (Approx. 100 pages) Good book so far and the reading experience itself was completely "transparent". (I've never read an e-book beyond the first few pages because I find reading from LCD too tiring.)

Now if only they accepted non-US credit cards, I would be completely happy.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Laurens, do you have paypal? I'd be willing to try a giftcard swap for you if you'll cover the fees. We can try a small amount first like $5 just to make sure it works?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Speaking of good trek books, the New Frontier series by Peter David is a read I recommend (and it happens to be available at the reader store too)
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Thumbs up Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Laurens, do you have paypal? I'd be willing to try a giftcard swap for you if you'll cover the fees. We can try a small amount first like $5 just to make sure it works?
Just wanted to let people know that buying gift codes this way works well. Thanks, Leaping Gnome!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I too thought the Vanguard book was decent, the first Star Trek book I've read. I just went through last night and culled all the samples, I left a few on there that I thought looked interesting from reading Amazon, like Excavation and Cell.

I just finished Ilium by Dan Simmons last night, 1,300+ pages on the reader, available in the Connect store. It was a pretty good sci-fi book, I've never read anything by him before. Some interesting ideas I haven't seen elsewhere. I also grabbed the Sherlock Holmes works from gutenberg and reformatted in Word to RTF, etc... and put it on there. It was my first non-Connect book so it took a few tries to get the formatting how I liked it, but it looks pretty good now.
I just started the Hyperion series by him. Interesting mix of Sci-fi and Fantasy.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I just started the Hyperion series by him. Interesting mix of Sci-fi and Fantasy.
I only got through the first one, I thought it was more of an interesting mix of delusion and hallucenogenic substances, myself.

Just too bizarre for my tastes.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I only got through the first one, I thought it was more of an interesting mix of delusion and hallucenogenic substances, myself.

Just too bizarre for my tastes.
That is what I feel about fantasy usually. It is the type of writing that is totally up to the whim of a soul. I prefer earthy plausible sound scifi with real bases on science. But this series has just enough to keep up my interest.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, I like fantasy generally, though I do lean toward SciFi for the most part these days. But Hyperion was just way too strange for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Excavation wasn't bad. Clearly not literary prize material, but it was ok enough to provide a decent distraction -- considering it was free.

A bit sci-fi meets Da Vinci Code meets romance novel.
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

A couple of people have recommended the Hyperion books, but I did not see them on the Connect store, and the sequel to Ilium is falling into the "still hardcover price even though out in paperback" category on Connect.