Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
roofie
roofie began at the beginning.

Device: ecoreader (maybe or new Kindle)
Cool Hello from Australia

Hello Everyone,

Just joined yesterday, been reading some posts and decided to introduce myself.

Am tossing up between an EcoReader or the new international Kindle. The main differences are cost, EcoReader around AU$450 and Kindle around AU$300; also a bit wary of tying myself to Amazon only, not sure about the availability of titles and cost here in Oz.

I will post a more specific question type post in the appropriate forum.

Look forward to lots of interesting discussion and debate.

roofie
roofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Lo roofie! Welcome!

Have you seen the reviews of the EcoReader on MR?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Welcome, roofie!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Roofie: second Australian to join in over the past twenty-four hours. The Kindle launch there is obviously working there in terms of promoting the very idea of ebook readers ... think carefully, though, before you buy a Kindle. You could perhaps find alternative devices that are nowhere near as restricting in terms of content in your country. Cheers and good luck, Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
Wozzzaaa
Copyright Liberationist
Wozzzaaa is on a distinguished road

Device: Eslick
Gday Mate.. I reckon amazon wins hands down in number of books available, but they are very expensive around $12 US - waay more then I would pay.

I bought an Eslick while our dollar was strong, with shipping & leather cover it came to about $370, but iam not very happy with it.
Wozzzaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do bear in mind, Wozzzaa, that although the Kindle store seems to offer a huge number of titles even outside the US, that Kindle can ONLY carry Amazon titles (many of which are classics, freely available elsewhere, and many others self-published nonsense). Other machines (like my wee Sony) have access to such a great number of book sources for free and bought books that it makes the Amazon store look like the back shelf of a newsagent's shop in Woolabonga. Whatever you choose, Roofie, good luck, mate. Neil
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
roofie

Thanks for the comments people. I am somewhat in a dilemma really. I have looked at EcoReader. I have a friend with one and I really like it, size, looks, ease of use and formats, but the Kindle is cheaper and I have read on this forum that you can use it for most formats. I'm still really not sure.

Nomesque I haven't seen that particular review, but as I say above I have physically held and used an EcoReader and do like it. Just the cost.

If I can get the Kindle to read pdf's I'd be happy. Nothing technical, pretty well just plain text and/or jpegs. Think I'll keep reading and researching. Not in too much of a hurry.

Neil, the friend with the EcoReader also looked at a Sony, don't know the model. She wasn't impressed, it couldn't turn on properly and just didn't seem reliable or value. She is a librarian and is looking at ereader's for use in the library. She really like to EcoReader because of the SD card. This makes it easy to load/read books.

Thanks again, and sorry this got a bit long.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome, roofie!

As far as Sonys go, I've not had a problem with mine (had it just over a year now). It reads plain text pdfs acceptably, can deal with jpgs in them to a degree, but completely messes up things like formalae
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofie View Post
If I can get the Kindle to read pdf's I'd be happy. Nothing technical, pretty well just plain text and/or jpegs. Think I'll keep reading and researching. Not in too much of a hurry.
Crikey, seems to be a fair few of us Aussies here.
roofie, just to point something out which you may come across in your further reading of the Kindle is the list of supported formats is according to the Amazon website;

Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

So it looks like PDFs are not supported natively, they need to be converted through Amazon's conversion service (or possibly through software such as Calibre - if someone can confirm/deny this is possible would be great).

Oh...and welcome.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
roofie

Hey Solicitous, there does seem to be a few of us here. I saw that list too and I am now leaning towards an EcoReader or one of the Astak's.

I see you have the pocket pro. How have you found it and what about the 5" screen? I am a bit concerned about the size compared to the bigger 6" screen. Doesn't seem much but I wonder about the readability of the slightly smaller screen. What are your thoughts. Did you buy yours from the astak web page or ebay? Any other issues you might have?

And thanks for the welcome. Maybe this should go to another forum too?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Kattermole
Kattermole began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Another Hello from Australia.

I live in Sydney, NSW. Discovered this forum today, while looking for info on Kindle-for-Australians. My reader is an iPhone. Great discovery for someone who never moves without a book about her person.

My current hobby is snarling about all the electronic books which are not available to Australians. I just WISH the websites would put filters so you can't see what you are missing out on. Audible manages it, so why can't ebook sellers?

What a nice way to introduce myself, with a grumble.

Kat
Kattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

Nice grumble, Kat. Good to have your company. Hoots. Neil
Old 10-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattermole View Post

What a nice way to introduce myself, with a grumble.
No worries, Kat. You know what they say: the squeaky wheel gets the beer...or something like that...though personally I'm partial to a Zany Carter Deluxe myself. Can I get you a drink?

Cheers,
Marc (that goes for you too, Wozzzaa and roofie)
Unofficial Barman of the MR Lounge
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
frankenstein777
frankenstein777 began at the beginning.

Device: Eco Reader
Another from Oz here! Joined the site yesterday after lurking for a few weeks - the amount of information here is amazing. The release of the international Kindle got me thinking about getting an ebook reader, and I finally decided on the Eco Reader (hopefully it will arrive next week).

Frank
frankenstein777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
Hello Roofi, before you commit to Kindle or Ecoreader suggest yo have a look at Central Book Services, They are in Melbourne and supply a variety of ebooks. I have a Hanlin V3 and buy books from a variety of suppliers.
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote