Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Janelle
Janelle began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3
Problems updating Firmware

Hi,
I recenting bought a HanLin V3 and have been having the most frustrating time updating the firmware.
I always get stuck on the "Checking update data please wait" screen. It never progresses further than that regardless of the 4 different SD cards I have used. I have also tried formatting them all with the Panasonic SD formatter that I saw recommended somewhere on these forums as well.
My question is, is there some trick to getting it to work? Am I holding in the V+ and power buttons too long or not long enough?? I usually hear two beeps and let the buttons go.
I have redownloaded the file multiple times with different web browsers and from different sources with always the same results!!
I am at my wits end about now. I am new to ebook readers and gathered from reading these forums that I can use other types of firmware. (I think Open Inkpot was one.) Would this help me and can I ruin anything using these??
Sorry for the longwinded post. Thanks in advance for any help that's provided.
Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Check the name of the firmware file - it should be V3update.bin.

If it is not, then rename it.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Janelle

Thanks for your help Musicman, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem as it is correctly named.
I think I might try downloading again in the hopes that it will work for me this time.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest looking at OpenInkpot 0.2 Installation Guide and Restoring original firmware from OpenInkPot.

A 1 GB SD card is best, although others might work.

Your update procedure sounds right. The other thing is to make sure the battery is fully charged. You could also try attaching the USB charger for the update (although I have never tried this, it is recommended by Jinke). If this works, then most likely you have a sub-par battery. This is the most common problem with the Hanlin.

For a list, of firmware sites see EZReader Firmware. I like the Feb 25 LBook firmware (or OpenInkPot).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
Janelle

Thanks for your help wallcraft. I have tried your suggestions regarding the battery and size of the SD card but no joy.
Maybe I will just not worry about it for now and get through some of the books I have waiting to be read!!
Thanks again for all of your help!
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
vdevan
vdevan began at the beginning.

Device: BEBook
Hi:
One of the most important thing for updating your firmware is to ensure that you have an SD card that is either 1GB or smaller than 1GB. I had similar problems with 2GB SD card. As soon as swapped it with 1 GB card, it worked perfectly well.
Hope this helps
vdevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
leismom
Ebook Believer
leismom began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader V3
I have an Astak EZReader (6") that I've had since Nov. 08, and have had similar problems when trying to update the firmware. The firmware update seems to go along fine until it gets to "Update Resource" and then just stops or hangs. The light is red. I am using a <1 GB SD card. It is also plugged into the USB power adapter so the battery doesn't interfere. Still, no good update and if I stop it, the reader just tries to boot up, gets to the logo and can't go any further. Any ideas.
leismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leismom View Post
I have an Astak EZReader (6") that I've had since Nov. 08, and have had similar problems when trying to update the firmware. The firmware update seems to go along fine until it gets to "Update Resource" and then just stops or hangs. The light is red. I am using a <1 GB SD card. It is also plugged into the USB power adapter so the battery doesn't interfere. Still, no good update and if I stop it, the reader just tries to boot up, gets to the logo and can't go any further. Any ideas.
Turn on your device and press "OK" immediately.
You may see some message then try to upgrade firmware again.
This may help...
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote