Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
pamur
pamur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Hello from another clueless newcomer

Hi everybody,
Just got a Kindle2 for Father's Day and I am trying to figure out what I can do with it. Stumbled on this site but so far haven't really found out how to use the files available here. Hope to catch up with the rest of you in time.
pamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, pamur, and welcome to MobileRead.

What you can do with your K2 first and foremost is read books.

You can download free ones from here, (see our ebook tab), or other sites such as

www.feedbooks.com
www.manybook.net

and many others.

You can download books almost instantly from Amazon thru your wireless, provided you are in the US. You can also download books to your laptop and then upload to the Kindle via the USB cord provided.

It has a built in dictionary, a very useful feature.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
pamur

Thanks

Thanks desertgrandma, I think I am starting to get the idea. I haven't yet tried to download my own files. It looks like you can just upload .mobi and .prc files directly into the Kindle via USB. Sweet. That is what I was puzzling over. The built in Kindle/Amazon interface is way too easy. I am going to get into big trouble I am afraid. Thanks for the links.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamur View Post
Thanks desertgrandma, I think I am starting to get the idea. I haven't yet tried to download my own files. It looks like you can just upload .mobi and .prc files directly into the Kindle via USB. Sweet. That is what I was puzzling over. The built in Kindle/Amazon interface is way too easy. I am going to get into big trouble I am afraid. Thanks for the links.
Sounds right to me. Try it, then if you have problems, post in a Kindle thread. Someone will come to your aid quickly.

Try it now, now!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello pamur, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome word5.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	31205 to Mobileread.

Don't worry, you won't be clueless (or a newcomer) for long.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead!

If you feel clueless, this is the best place to find the answers! Good luck with your Kindle.

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi pamur and welcome to MR!

Wow, nice Father's Day gift! If you end up enjoying your Kindle as much as I've enjoyed mine, you'll be one happy guy!

I got an electric shaver for Father's Day. I asked for one, because I got tired of shelling out for disposable blades. Still trying to get used to the shaver, though. Every day I miss a different part of my face. It's a little embarassing.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
pamur

Thanks for the encouragement

Wow. It is always great to find such a helpful group when you have a new technology to master. I think my son got tired of watching me wade through my piles of books looking for something to read. He bought me the Kindle for Father's Day. It would have to be a Kindle because he works for Amazon.

I am starting to load it up. I am amazed at the availability of free classics. My next step is to grab something from the forums to try out the manual process. I do have a question in that regard. I see that .mobi and .prc files may include DRM and, as such, couldn't be loaded into the Kindle. Are all of the files uploaded in these forums without DRM?

Thanks again for the all of the positive support. I am sure I will be talking to you all soon.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi pamur and welcome to MobileRead. Don't worry about being confused and a newbie. Before long you'll be an experienced addict, er, eBook user like the rest of us.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamur View Post
SNIP
I am starting to load it up. I am amazed at the availability of free classics. My next step is to grab something from the forums to try out the manual process. I do have a question in that regard. I see that .mobi and .prc files may include DRM and, as such, couldn't be loaded into the Kindle. Are all of the files uploaded in these forums without DRM?
SNIP
Welcome to MR, pamur.

All of the ebooks uploaded here are non- DRM. The books have been beautifully hand-formatted by the dedicated members on MR. We also have many authors who participate in the forums and very generously offer their work to us (usually free). Check out the writers' corner and the Deals, Freebies, and Resources threads. Also check out avatars and signature lines (where some authors have information about their work).

Many of the classics are also in our ebook section.

Have fun with your new Kindle, and I hope you learn to love it as much as I love my Sony 505.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome! What cassidy says is true- I was a confused newbie about 6 months ago, and now my vocabulary is much bigger, and I change my avatars and signature with the best of them

Congrats on your wonderful gift for Father's Day!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hello pamur and welcome to Mobile Read!
I'm glad you successfully started to download books!
Enjoy reading!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote