Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

As far as I can tell, gumbo will happily parse all types of doctypes and return then to their original condition including html5 doctypes !DOCTYPE html.

If you find a case where it does not do that, please report it and I will try to track down where things are getting messed up.

Take care,

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6055 View Post
Hello:

Very nice release guys!

I do, however, have a question:
Will the next non-beta release rewrite the tags:

at the top of html documents? Sigil 8.6 did so, depending on how clean source was set, but the new gumbo-parcer and gumbo-pretty print seem to handle this differently.

I sometimes start with html from the web, and the initial declaration is sometimes different, so short of copying the snippet to before the <body> tag, is there a more efficient way (perhaps a plugin)?

Thanks….
Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #32
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
I installed this latest version today and the ePub I made it in will not display properly in any of my ePub testing apps (ADE, Aldiko), nor my Kobo; it's as if the CSS cannot be read. Yet it displays properly in Sigil, and I can convert the file to Kindle using Kindlegen and the ebook displays as coded.

All my ePubs built using earlier versions display properly in my ePub apps. I have compared the header code and Content.opf code between the old ebooks and this new one and cannot find anything amiss.

Any ideas?
Advert
Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #33
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
I installed this latest version today and the ePub I made it in will not display properly in any of my ePub testing apps (ADE, Aldiko), nor my Kobo; it's as if the CSS cannot be read. Yet it displays properly in Sigil, and I can convert the file to Kindle using Kindlegen and the ebook displays as coded.
Well isn't this the way ... no sooner do I post this message than I found the problem. Odd that Kindlegen converted properly...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post

All my ePubs built using earlier versions display properly in my ePub apps. I have compared the header code and Content.opf code between the old ebooks and this new one and cannot find anything amiss.

Any ideas?
Check the CSS for Errors (ADE will barf on the tiniest malformed rule that others deal with)
Right-click on the CSS in the Book browser: Validate with W3C (the red ones)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yep. Looks fine using WebKit, but not with ADE/RMSDK = CSS syntax error. Nine times out of ten. The tenth time = an embedded font that's incompatible with ADE/RMSDK.
Advert
Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #36
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Check the CSS for Errors (ADE will barf on the tiniest malformed rule that others deal with)
Right-click on the CSS in the Book browser: Validate with W3C (the red ones)
I did find it earlier, but the CSS was indeed the problem. A missing closing bracket. (I had added a new style by copying and pasting and missed the closing bracket.) I was too busy checking all the other code, trying to find the problem, that I missed the typo in the CSS.

Thanks for the tip to validate with W3C. Will try that next time I run into a problem.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:55 AM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
The change you want makes no sense as it removes whitespace that may in fact be part of the paragraph both before and after the exact text (up to one character of each.

Now it doesn't work, I tried it with the two Cleaning types (at Windows machine).

Yes, pretty print has changed a lot, It will no longer trim whitespace from inside of paragraph tags as it should not since whitespace can be important both before and after any text (at least up to one character's worth).

And how would you expect this to turn out? Is there at least one char of white space after the footnote marker and before the "Some text." and after the text?

I am not sure either of these are bugs. You seem to be asking for the old Tidy approach of a deep clean. I am sorry but those days are pretty much gone. If you want me to modify prettyprint to reduce multiple spaces into one space inside of the p tag, that may be doable, but stripping it all away is simply incorrect.

KevinH
Also spaces from the beginning or end of the paragraph.

FWIW, calibre preserves whitespace entirely, on the rationale that when using <pre>, whitespace matters.
IIRC, only whitespace outside a block-level tag gets reformatted when pretty-printing.

Sigil may or may not wish to follow the same approach.

Seems like an unwise (and unlikely) thing to use, IMHO, but I'd hate to be responsible for Sigil breaking a book because of this.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi eschwartz,

Yes, I agree. That is why we moved away from Tidy (it cleaned too much and did not fully support all html5 tags, svg tags, and math tags). Regular gumbo serialization, changes no whitespace whatsoever. gumbo prettyprinting will now condense multiple whitespace on any allowed tag (and that is quite a specific list to prevent problems) and will trim leading and trailing whitespace from inside p tags only. All other places, people will just have to live with it or edit it by hand.

I am thinking of creating a "Clean-and-Sanitize" plugin using the html5lib's parser and sanitize code and a few things like that just to give people the option of "heavy cleaning" if they end up starting with heaping piles of crap html code (ie. read that they have unpacked an entire mobi7 book to one huge html file with lots of out of date html 3.2 pieces flying around.

Thanks!

KevinH
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm think that in the future (not immediate mind you ), we may want to add a new pretty-print plugin type. One that can be used in the"traditional" PluginRunner dialog setting (for debugging purposes), but can also be "assigned" via the clean source settings using a combobox populated with installed pretty-print plugins.

I've been mulling the idea around in my head for a bit. And it'll probably mull a little longer. The bottom line is: Sigil's not overly concerned with making your code look "pretty" any more. It's more concerned with not breaking anything. We are, however, dedicated to providing a framework that offers users a way to manipulate their code in any way they see fit--through a robust plugin system.

My two cents anyway.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #40
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Windows 10, 32-bit.
Sigil crashes repeatedly
a) at uploading a cover image (in "Tools"->add cover, not at uploading other Images in the respective Folder of the book browser)),
b) when trying to create TOC via Tools->TOC->create Toc.

No Problem when I add a cover/TOC in a different program and open the epub afterwards in Sigil.

Am I the only concerned Person?
Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #41
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
When you release Sigil 0.9.0 are you including "make uninstall" target for Linux users?

Maybe have them use "checkinstall" instead of "make install".

bernie
Old 10-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Leonatus,

Those are all problems with Sigil 0.8.900 released about two weeks ago, not the just released Sigil 0.8.901 build which was specifically made to fix those issues (and others).
Are you sure you are using Sigil-0.8.901 instead of Sigil-0.900?
Which are you using?

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Windows 10, 32-bit.
Sigil crashes repeatedly
a) at uploading a cover image (in "Tools"->add cover, not at uploading other Images in the respective Folder of the book browser)),
b) when trying to create TOC via Tools->TOC->create Toc.

No Problem when I add a cover/TOC in a different program and open the epub afterwards in Sigil.

Am I the only concerned Person?

Last edited by KevinH; 10-07-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi bernie,

Are you talking about a cmake target for people building their own or something else?

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
When you release Sigil 0.9.0 are you including "make uninstall" target for Linux users?

Maybe have them use "checkinstall" instead of "make install".

bernie
Old 10-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #44
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi bernie,

Are you talking about a cmake target for people building their own or something else?

KevinH
If you are not releasing packages--i.i. deb or yum-- then the answer is yes. What I am interested in is giving people who are causal users an easy uninstall option.

bernie
Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No, I have no current plans to include a make uninstall target for Linux. Maybe someday, though. As for telling people to use checkinstall; the people who need that sort of functionality already know how to use it. I see no reason to suggest every one needs to do so.

Feel free to submit a patch/pull request to have cmake generate an uninstall target, if you like. If it's mergeable and doesn't break anything else, I'll be happy to include it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-07-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Closed Thread