Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
drmadhupk
Connoisseur
drmadhupk began at the beginning.

Device: android
Calibre as wifi hotspot

is it possible to implement a wifi hotspot functionality in calibre?
when one uses calibre on laptop which is not connected to wifi router, if there was a option to launch calibre content server as wifi hotspot, we would be able to connect cc on device to this wifi hotspot and can transfer data from calibre to cc. This way there won't be a need to have wifi router. Most laptops now a days can function as wifi hotspot.
drmadhupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why not just setup that laptop as a WiFi hotspot???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why not just setup that laptop as a WiFi hotspot???
But that hotspot can't be used by calibre as content server.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre will broadcast over whatever network you happen to be connected to at the moment. It should not make any difference if that network is an Ad-Hoc Network.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Quote:
calibre will broadcast over whatever network you happen to be connected to at the moment. It should not make any difference if that network is an Ad-Hoc Network.
I will try once more.
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
To avoid futzing around with my laptop's network settings, I use an Asus WL-330NUL pocket router. One of its modes is a "private wifi network" where it is the access point. I turn that on and my devices can easily connect to my laptop. It does a lot of other useful stuff too, such as sharing a cabled connection or a single wifi connection found often in hotels. Finally, it can be a fast cabled connection for my laptop that doesn't have an RJ45 port.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
To avoid futzing around with my laptop's network settings, I use an Asus WL-330NUL pocket router. One of its modes is a "private wifi network" where it is the access point. I turn that on and my devices can easily connect to my laptop. It does a lot of other useful stuff too, such as sharing a cabled connection or a single wifi connection found often in hotels. Finally, it can be a fast cabled connection for my laptop that doesn't have an RJ45 port.
Thanks. will buy one very soon.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Using a WiFi device as a 'Hot Spot' may not be allowed for a number of reasons, not all due to your laptops (peer and firewall) settings.

Out of the box, my Business grade Access Point blocked (Great for public user security) access to other wireless clients on the same AP.
(This drove me up the wall until I figured it out. Laptop Wired... CC worked. Laptop WiFi...CC failed. Yes, I was using the corrected IP's )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Using a WiFi device as a 'Hot Spot' may not be allowed for a number of reasons, not all due to your laptops (peer and firewall) settings.

Out of the box, my Business grade Access Point blocked (Great for public user security) access to other wireless clients on the same AP.
(This drove me up the wall until I figured it out. Laptop Wired... CC worked. Laptop WiFi...CC failed. Yes, I was using the corrected IP's )
I suppose that is true.

But then the solution really is to get a device where it isn't blocked in the hardware/firmware? I doubt there is anything calibre can do about it.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suppose that is true.

But then the solution really is to get a device where it isn't blocked in the hardware/firmware? I doubt there is anything calibre can do about it.
Not a Calibre problem
As Chaley suggested. BYOAP

That avoids the 'unknown AP' configuration issues,
It avoids opening your device to 'Peer' connections.

It allows the host to manage the AP (access rules...)

For the lurkers out there : (very simplified) Access Points are like a dedicated WiFi section of your home router, just on Steroids. Businesses use them because they allow more that 1 and still play well together (cellular mode). They have extensive access/security options
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a Calibre problem
As Chaley suggested. BYOAP

That avoids the 'unknown AP' configuration issues,
It avoids opening your device to 'Peer' connections.

It allows the host to manage the AP (access rules...)

For the lurkers out there : (very simplified) Access Points are like a dedicated WiFi section of your home router, just on Steroids. Businesses use them because they allow more that 1 and still play well together (cellular mode). They have extensive access/security options
My apologies for perhaps appearing to "sell" here. That isn't my intention.

The device I suggested, a USB dongle about the size of a USB memory stick, is designed to deal with the problem of creating small and secure wifi networks. In its "full" mode, it is simultaneously:
  • A NAT wireless router connecting to either a local wifi network (assuming there is one) or the local cabled network (again, assuming there is one).
  • A USB network adapter for the computer it is plugged into, if there is one.
  • An access point for a private unblocked encrypted wifi network.
  • An access point for a public wifi network on which devices can connect only through the router
The above functions allows sharing a single internet connection between several devices. Devices that connect to the private network can see each other; this is what I use to connect my devices to calibre. Devices that connect to the public network cannot see each other. You can of course shut off any of the networks. For example, to make a simple local wifi net, one would turn off the router and the public access point.

The dongle can be powered by a laptop or by a standard USB power supply. More than once, after arriving at a hotel I plugged it into the wall and left it there. After configuring it (done using a program on the laptop), my family had full access to each other's devices (think multi-player games as well as calibre) and to the 'net without any requirement that my laptop be running.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Sounds like a device (I am a hardware junkie ), especially for those on the go.
I believe you are just 'Enthusiastic' about the product, and not trying to 'sell' it
Old 08-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #13
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

@chaley will that device work just as a wifi router without Internet connection? because to communicate between calibre and cc there is no need of a Internet connection. only requirement is that both should be connected to same wifi network. I have really not understood the difference between content server and wireless device connections.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhupk View Post
@chaley will that device work just as a wifi router without Internet connection? because to communicate between calibre and cc there is no need of a Internet connection. only requirement is that both should be connected to same wifi network. I have really not understood the difference between content server and wireless device connections.
That is the third mode of the four I listed in post 11, access point for a private network. It can run in that mode with all the other modes shut off, should that be what you want. And note terminology: what you want is an access point, not a router. You will need to make that distinction if/when you set up the device or one like it.

If all you want is a private local wifi network then you might be better off getting a dedicated access point, something like this one (NB: I have never tried this brand/model). Although it does much less than the Asus, it is probably easier to configure.

As for the difference between content server and wireless device, at the networking level there isn't a difference. The phone/tablet makes a network connection to a service in calibre. The difference is which service, which is chosen by the "port". The services are totally different. The content server requires a pull client (e.g., a web browser or CC where the device is in control) while the wireless device connection requires a push client (e.g., CC where calibre is in control).