Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Wall Street Journal - Kindle Fire rumors

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) recently published an article detailing what they are hearing about hte new forthcoming kindle fire. When I read the article what stood out to me is that the new kindle fire will include an add supported version. The WSJ is directing its readers to this site for the full article on the news:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...le-fire-rumors
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
No one actually said it was going to have ICS, I actually speculated that on MacRumors and maybe in The Verge comments and I guess people are going with it now. LOL.

- The new interface will be similar to the Amazon Appstore refresh from last week. I'm predicting they're ditching the carousel due to cache issues in the current Otter launcher, so no more dead looking wood. It will still have the nice big icons, but I'm pretty sure it'll be in a much nicer layout.

- No more Kindle Fire Edition apps, the menu is now normal sized.

- Special Offers will only be on the launcher at the bottom, and on the lock screen (interactive still/video with a button to launch the site, deal directly in Silk, or using the Amazon store API). They will introduce a new Amazon Local app to go along this.

- Original Kindle Fire will not get the update due to the poor original hardware choice and broken drivers.

- At least ONE model will have HDMI, bluetooth, front facing HD camera, volume buttons, and a working dimmer sensor.

This is all MY speculation though after looking at what we have so far.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 09-04-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The more powerful of the two new Kindles really needs to match the specs of the Nexus 7:
  • 16GB= $249
  • 8GB= $199 (??? maybe - but probably not - see below)
  • 1280x800 IPS display
  • 1.2MP front cam, mic (video chats)
  • GPS, compass (monetizing location services)
  • bluetooth
  • 1.2 GHz quad-core
  • 1GB RAM
  • OS= 4.1 Jelly Bean
Since they're supposed to be producing a cheaper ad-supported variant of last years Fire, I really don't see them making an 8GB version of the above. Its price would be too close to the ad version.

By completely selling out the first gen Fire, Amazon won't be placed in the position of having it compete with its new ad-supported successor; thereby taking away sales. As to pricing for the ad-supported variant, I'm guessing anywhere from $149 to $169.

This will give customers two distinct choices. They can either get the more powerful version for $249 or the less powerful ad-supported version for a price even lower than the Nexus 7's cheaper variant.

...or, I could be wrong

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-04-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: forgot a few specs
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

It still amazes me that bloggers who don't know their backsides from a hole in the ground can wildly speculate and have those speculations picked up and regurgitated by the so-called news sites as though the speculations meant anything other than being the speculators' wish lists. News sites used to be run and written by educated journalists with true journalistic skills. Now almost anyone with a keyboard can write for them.

One thing is for certain, we will see Thursday what Amazon has in store for us. I just hope they did a better job on the tablet this time around, but judging from the historical record of Amazon I suspect much of what people dislike about the Fire's firmware will not change much, just like much of what we dislike about the Kindle eInks rarely seems to get much better. Amazon tends to update the hardware end while not improving the firmware that much.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It still amazes me that bloggers who don't know their backsides from a hole in the ground can wildly speculate and have those speculations picked up and regurgitated by the so-called news sites as though the speculations meant anything other than being the speculators' wish lists. News sites used to be run and written by educated journalists with true journalistic skills. Now almost anyone with a keyboard can write for them.
Whatever brings in that ad revenue. It's annoying having to sift through the big "legit" sites to find an actual article that wasn't pilfered from some blogulator just pulling stuff out of the air.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Nexus is overkill for 99% of KF owners who primarily use it for reading and browsing and playing some games.

Probably a new Fire would be overkill for those as well. Taking it from a standpoint of a gift and no more of the current available, it will sell like hotcakes again over the Nexus with Amazon's ecosystem.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
The Nexus is overkill for 99% of KF owners who primarily use it for reading and browsing and playing some games.

Probably a new Fire would be overkill for those as well. Taking it from a standpoint of a gift and no more of the current available, it will sell like hotcakes again over the Nexus with Amazon's ecosystem.
I disagree. The Nexus 7 is an excellent alternative for simply browsing, reading or playing games and does it better than the current Fire, IMHO. It is far more pleasurable to use. A very good value at $199.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote