Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Journeys of an Android, Vox and Playbook Neophyte

Hello,

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to tablets and e-readers and working under Android. Although I have been in the computer game since the 60's (I am 70 years old) I have never entered this arena before.

My wife has a Kindle Wifi that suits here perfectly - she could not tolerate the Touch's swipe approach and just told me as she was looking over my shoulder as I was reading a book on the Vox that she would tolerate it for 5 minutes before throwing it against the wall. And my Vox works perfectly.

So the old adages apply. When it comes to these devices "To each his own" and "Buyer beware"

I have been of many minds as whether to buy a Vox, Playbook or Transformer Prime. I really am not sure what functionality I want in a handheld device. I have a 2 year old PC and laptop that work well for me. I am sick of toting around great numbers of books as I travel (I am an avid reader), want something that allows me to have my Bird Books readily available as I traipse through the bushes, and would like to be able to scan my email as I sit enjoying a coffee without lugging my laptop around.

Decided to give a Vox a try. Bought one at Futureshop (30 day return) them went to Best Buy to look around - decided to buy a Playbook (14 day return) look around. Figured I would run them side by side and keep only one after 14 days of parallel operation. As I go along I will update this note so folks do not have to sift through messages to see how the story ends.

So here are the results of my first day with the Vox and Playbook - both of which setup, updated and run without a hitch.

Dec 29 2011

The Playbook

Plugged it in and based on lack of lights I assumed it was charged. As soon as I plugged it in, it started on its own (Internet search told me this meant it was fully charged). No screen bleeds.

The included screen cleaning cloth and tablet sleeve are nice to have

No hard copy setup instructons except for
1. Make sure you are in WIFI Coverage
2. Press Power Button.
3. Follow the steps on the screen.

Set up Internet, Date and Time Formats, Blackberry ID, etc - screens walked through the whole process.

Found an update (300 plus Megs) on its own and started download. I was not paying attention as I was typing this in an editor and suddenly screen went black - tapped screen and nothing happened so I assumed it was in the process of installing update

About 15 min later screen flashed and told me 'Installation Successful"
BlackBerry Tablet OS Version 1.0.8.6067

Asked me if I had BlackBerry Smartphone - since I did not I ignored this step. If had had one, I could have set up BlackBerry Bridge

'Tablet Basics' screen appeared and gave me options to learn about
1. Home Screen
2. App Menus

Both of these basic items were quite instructive and good for the neophyte.

I am already wondering if I should have bought a 32 gb PB instead of the 16GB version

The Vox

Plugged it in and saw yellow charging light. This eventually turned green after about an hour.

It was difficult to put mini male USB charging plug in female socket in Vox - I am sure that it will not take many installation/removal cycles before the male or female fitting breaks.

Small fold out instructions said the following

Ensure you are within range of an accessible WIFI network
No computer required
1. Plug in your Koba Vox using the wall charger provided. You can continue with setup as it charges.
2. Turn the power on: Briefly hold down and release the on/off button
3. Follow the setup instructions on your Kobo Vox to start reading in minutes.

Removed Vox from charger when green light showed

Held power button down for about 3 sec to start.

Intro screen with tone appeared then offered me a short welcome - this is a video. Lots of propaganda but not much germane to operating the Vox in the video.

Hit 'Get Started' button

WIFI setup screen - network, password,

Check for updates screen - hit Check Now - Checking, Downloading Update (provided notice to not turn off or mess with buttons during the update)

Download completed, powered off and on, gave notice that update is taking place and that system will reboot when update completed. Then another screen saying screen update is almost complete - firmware will be installed then restart when update completed and reader is turned off. Need to hit OK button to proceed. Did so and Installing New Firmware screen shows up, then power off screen appears and Vox shuts down. Vox reboots again and takes us back to Welcome screen. (I did not have to power on as the screen said I would have to do)

Check for Updates appeared again, there were none, then we continued with Setup - time zone, date, time,

Then Sign In or Register for Kobo Account - I signed In

Offered to connect Kobo Account to Facebook to access Kobo Pulse - I do not Facebook so Skipped this

Then Congrats screen came up telling me setup is done. Also told me there were 3 free ebooks waiting for me with button to go to library which I did

Checked again for updates - none. My build number is the Dec 19 version.

I noticed my serial number was the latest of the other Vox on the shelf at Future Shop - I wonder is this is why my setup and update went so well.

Noted that Vox seems lighter then PlayBook (the are within 2 gms of each other)- faux padded plastic back of Vox is easier to hold.

Hope this is of interest.
PS
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
northbeach
northbeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch
I found the greatest issue I have with the Vox is the lack of The Android Market.

I believe The Playbook also cannot access all Android apps easily.

I do understand that there is some kind of fix for this in the early spring when Blackberry updates The Playbook's OS.
northbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have a Vox. there is a thread about adding the Market in the forum threads. I do not have the market but have been able to add pretty much any app I want by searching on the browser and doing a direct download. Also, you may want to take a look at the thread "jefftheworld'd best app package", it has links to some essential apps such as Astro file, Dropbox and others...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbeach View Post
I found the greatest issue I have with the Vox is the lack of The Android Market.

I believe The Playbook also cannot access all Android apps easily.

I do understand that there is some kind of fix for this in the early spring when Blackberry updates The Playbook's OS.
Playbook with BBOS 2.0 will load Android apps but from RIM's store.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
jsokal
jsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: vox
As it is today the Playbook does not run any android programs as the os is QNX. The OS 2 is a very rudimentory beta version which is meant only for developers at this time. Many people are concerned by the Vox not readily accessing the android market, but keep in mind the Vox is an e-reader that can run some android apps. Many of the apps in the market either will not be compatible with the android version, or the Vox will not be able to run them adequately due to processor limitations,...because its an e-reader
jsokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsokal View Post
As it is today the Playbook does not run any android programs as the os is QNX. The OS 2 is a very rudimentory beta version which is meant only for developers at this time. Many people are concerned by the Vox not readily accessing the android market, but keep in mind the Vox is an e-reader that can run some android apps. Many of the apps in the market either will not be compatible with the android version, or the Vox will not be able to run them adequately due to processor limitations,...because its an e-reader
Which apps specifically can't be run?
From what's been posted on this forum, not too many limitations yet other than for apps that need a camera or gps, which the Vox doesn't have...
Netflix plays well, music streams with no problem in Slacker Radio, TuneIn Radio, VLC Media Player plays well and some posts mention Angry Birds as working well. It is not a $600 iPad but works adequately for most Android apps.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
bbell
bbell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, HP Touchpad
How does the screen look on the Vox in bright light? In particular in comparison with the Playbook (or other tablets).

From what I understand it has an FFS+ screen which should make it possible to easily read it outside, where other LCD's tend to wash out.
bbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Which apps specifically can't be run?
From what's been posted on this forum, not too many limitations yet other than for apps that need a camera or gps, which the Vox doesn't have...
Netflix plays well, music streams with no problem in Slacker Radio, TuneIn Radio, VLC Media Player plays well and some posts mention Angry Birds as working well. It is not a $600 iPad but works adequately for most Android apps.
Games that require dedicated gpu like tegra obviously don't work.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

Of course, games...not playing any myself they just weren't on my radar!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I find the Vox screen to br beautiful. To behonesy, it's likely the main reason I don't own a laybook. The availability of apps is higher on the Vox as well i own an android hone, so I have access to anything I want.

Regarding apps not running, Madden Football for sure won't work.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I find the Vox screen to br beautiful. To behonesy, it's likely the main reason I don't own a laybook. The availability of apps is higher on the Vox as well i own an android hone, so I have access to anything I want.

Regarding apps not running, Madden Football for sure won't work.
Weren't you the guy who said he shouldn't post from his phone anymore?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Weren't you the guy who said he shouldn't post from his phone anymore?
Communication is about transmission, not technicality.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote