Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
libertytrooper
libertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Speedup Metadata download

Hello,

I've used Calibre off and on for a long time; always abandoning it in search of something more sexy but always returning because sexy just isn't enough.

The thing that makes me search for something new is usually the slow metadata downloads. This time, however, in the interest of helping out, i"m here to say we need a 'Metadata download FAQ' (apologies if it already exists, it needs to be made much more obvious for idiots like me then).

I've purchased ISBNDB access. Shouldn't this make things much faster? Can other 'purchases' or such make MdD faster? For example, were I to log into Amazon somehow, would the metadata searches then returns results faster?

This doesn't even begin to talk about merging metadata results which would be my next 'abandonment issue'.
libertytrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The time taken for metadata is dependant on many things as I understand it. How many and which plugins are installed/enabled. How sources are configured. Internet speed, the load on the metadata source and your connection.

I have canceled metadata downloads because they were taking forever and tried again a few minutes later and the result was almost instantaneous. I am sure that the same search was performed in both cases, so it is often outside of calibre's control.

Post by kiwidude in this thread explains things a bit.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140210

I prefer to exercise a bit of patience and use the calibre metadata download then any other method I have come across, It has been very helpful with my many, many ebooks, but I can understand your frustration.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertytrooper View Post
I've used Calibre off and on for a long time; always abandoning it in search of something more sexy but always returning because sexy just isn't enough.
More sexy than Calibre???? I can do crazy complex searches, cause the columns to light up in colors when specialized criteria are met, have it send files to my phone ..... I could go on and on. I've never seen a program that has anywhere near the power Calibre gives me to control it. Maybe I just find power sexy.....
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
More sexy than Calibre???? I can do crazy complex searches, cause the columns to light up in colors when specialized criteria are met, have it send files to my phone ..... I could go on and on. I've never seen a program that has anywhere near the power Calibre gives me to control it. Maybe I just find power sexy.....
You're scaring me now
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
You're scaring me now

I suppose if we can apply the term "sexy" to a program, we're going to have to assign a sex to the program, and if we assign a sex, we have to have a reason to assign it .... and now I'm starting to scare myself .... I don't think I'll go any farther down this road....
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert