Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are no Kindle editions being 'sold' for lending. It's been stated various places by both Amazon and Overdrive that libraries won't have to buy books separately for Kindle.
That's true, I'd forgotten that. Amazon must be absorbing the cost of the ebooks then.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
You know, if I were a conspiracy person I'd say that Amazon knows that this will both clog up a lot of library lending while at the same time removing a competitive talking point from Sony and from everyone else.

Well played Mr. Bozos. Well played.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #33
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt seriously that Amazon purposely intends to clog up the waiting lists. But remove a competitive advantage? Definitely.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #34
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
thats why i put sold in quotes. they probably are getting some kind of licensing fee.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I doubt seriously that Amazon purposely intends to clog up the waiting lists. But remove a competitive advantage? Definitely.
No, but there will be those who, not being able to get at a book they want or need, will purchase it.
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #36
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No, but there will be those who, not being able to get at a book they want or need, will purchase it.
Sure there will be some, but given that this not going to be a cheap operation for Amazon (at least not any way that I can see), I don't think it's a viable marketing strategy. I think they're going to spend way more implementing this than they'll ever make back from directly increased sales. Plus you have to factor in all the people who will be borrowing books rather than buying them.

I think this is about selling Kindles, and eventually more ebooks, rather than a possible immediate gain in ebook sales.

Last edited by carld; 05-14-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
RockdaMan
Banned

Agreed.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #38
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Sure there will be some, but given that this not going to be a cheap operation for Amazon (at least not any way that I can see), I don't think it's a viable marketing strategy. I think they're going to spend way more implementing this than they'll ever make back from directly increased sales. Plus you have to factor in all the people who will be borrowing books rather than buying them.

I think this is about selling Kindles, and eventually more ebooks, rather than a possible immediate gain in ebook sales.
I'm not sure about that. I don't think that Amazon is actually buying the copies it lends out. I think that Amazon has simply reached and agreement with the publishers that one copy of the book may be lent out, either in epub or .azw, as long as only one copy of the book (or however many were purchased) is lent out at the same time.

While there are going to be some initial start up costs as well as ongoing costs (which may or may not be covered by a 22 cent fee), there will probably also be a lot of people who check out the first book or two in a series, and then buy the rest because of the wait. Or who give up waiting for a book and just buy it on the kindle. I think that is a pretty good business opportunity.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #39
RockdaMan
Banned

I'm starting to think that there is going to be something vaguely controversial about it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:13 AM   #40
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
... Wasnt this thread about a potential new Amazon tablet? How did it become a mob scene beating the "library ebook" dead horse?

never mind, carry on.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote