Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Apple's Sample ePub Fails Validation

Today, Apple made available a Sample ePub describing what it can do.
ibookstore_sample_v1_3.epub It can be found on the updated iTunes Connect.

I discovered two things after I downloaded it. First, no ereader on my computer or online displays it as Apple intends. Second, it FAILS validation.

I've already written to Apple about this, but I'm hoping there are other iBookstore publishers here to have a mutual hair-pulling session. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
No surprises there... Apple ignore the IDPF specs when it suits them.

e.g. sans serif display support forcing everyone to add extra lines of code into their epub just to get to display on the iPad
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
Today, Apple made available a Sample ePub describing what it can do.
ibookstore_sample_v1_3.epub It can be found on the updated iTunes Connect.

I discovered two things after I downloaded it. First, no ereader on my computer or online displays it as Apple intends. Second, it FAILS validation.

I've already written to Apple about this, but I'm hoping there are other iBookstore publishers here to have a mutual hair-pulling session. - Fabe
What do you expect when they can't get the iOS 4.1 User Manual PDF to actually work? I've been trying to open or download that for over a week, and I keep getting complaints from Firefox the file's broken (it grabs the previous version with no trouble).
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
Seanette:

I downloaded it using Google Chrome and it opened in Adobe Acrobat Pro. It all seams to be working and I have saved an optimised version at the following links:

I uploaded the file four times you can try downloading any one of them.

http://hotfile.com/dl/81659752/bdca2...Guide.pdf.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/81659754/92153...Guide.pdf.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/81659761/20911...Guide.pdf.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/81659766/a9f05...Guide.pdf.html

Or my personal website:
efk.me/iPod_touch_iOS4.1_User_Guide.pdf

If you are still having problems, I recommend getting the Acrobat Pro trial available at:

http://download.cnet.com/Adobe-Acrob...-10266904.html

Good luck!

---
stunjelly.com
ebook formatting and repairs

Last edited by KLUTCH; 11-10-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Updated with links
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote