Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Question Preserving format from ePub (Sigil) to Mobi

I've been using Sigil to clean up some PDFs I want to view on my Kindle v3. My goal is to get a Mobi file that looks as close to the original PDF as possible, but with flexible flow.

Right now, my workflow is PDF -> ePub using calibre, cleanup in Sigil, then ePub -> Mobi using calibre again. Generally this works great, although I'm open to alternatives if there is an easier way. (Mac-based)

A few formatting choices, however, are lost during the ePub->Mobi conversion. I can't tell if this is a calibre issue, or an intrinsic limitation of the Mobi format.

Some examples:
  1. I have a book that has footnote/endnotes. In the ePub, the reference is a superscript. This is gone in the Mobi, and the baseline of the endnote number is the same as the regular text. I've tried using <sup> or a css style with {vertical-align: top; } with no change.
  2. I have a dropcap, created as suggested in the Sigil documentation. Again, it appears as expected in the ePub but is gone in the Mobi format.
  3. Can I do font choices without embedding? This is a very minor issue, but a number of books use sans-serif for chapter titles and serif for the main text. At least with the books I've created, I can't seem to switch back and forth. My {font-family: serif} style appears to be ignored.

I apologize if there is a reference for these things - and I realize that editing an ePub when what I really want to look at is a Mobi is a bit backwards. But it seems to be the way best supported by available software under OSX.
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Mobi doesn't support at least some of the features you're describing. Dropcaps for instance are definitely not supported in Mobi. I think the same is true of font embedding, not sure about Superscript.

Mobi is based on html 3.2, which is quite old and outdated. As to specific features it supports, you should probably ask on the mobi subforum on Mobileread instead of Calibre. Once you know what's supported you should get good results as long as you keep your epub sources within those confines.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Thanks - I will check in the Mobi forum too. Part of my rationale for asking here was because, AFIAK, at least superscript is supported in Mobi. So I wondered if my way of implementing it (and its subsequent loss) might be a calibre conversion issue rather than a format limitation...
Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you need to put the superscript in <sup> tags. All the rest are not supported in MOBI.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
jeff47
Connoisseur

Thanks - the problem was the order of the tags that confused me.
<sup><a ...>1</a></sup> didn't work, but <a..><sup>1</sup></a> does.
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
james.villacorta
james.villacorta began at the beginning.

Device: None
i have an epub file and convert it to mobi using calibre but the fonts i embed in the epub were not displayed correctly on mobi. Does mobi supports font embedding? Could someone advice me if there are other threads that i can read about this issue? thanks
james.villacorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
jeff47
Connoisseur

Mobi does not support font embedding.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
james.villacorta
james.villacorta began at the beginning.

Device: None
thank you jeff, i am creating a dutch book to mobi and it is really hard to convert this book as I really don't know Dutch Language. It's a good thing that there's a forum like this. Another thing is that in epub I have a problem displaying he small caps in ADE but displays correctly in MOBI. Have you encountered this before, or ADE does not support font variant properties.
james.villacorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
jeff47
Connoisseur

I don't know much about ADE, since my goal is to make things look good on the Kindle.
You could try making a style for smallcaps instead, it might not be exactly the same but would probably replicate the effect fairly well. That's what I do - I didn't realize Mobi would display the smallcaps variant.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
jeff47
Connoisseur

Aha, thanks for that tip, BTW - Sigil doesn't display the 'small-caps' variant but it comes up fine in Kindle reader. That will be useful to me. Cheers!