Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex 1000S
Better way of merging Scribbles?

I've got my iRex 1000S since yesterday. Overall, I like it - but I am rather disappointed in how the iRex Companion Software merges Scribbles with PDFs. The lines become very blocky - see the close-up of my attachment.

Does anyone know of a way of merging the Scribbles so that the lines will become smoother? For the record, I am using Windows NT (though I have installed cygwin, if that helps).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iRexTest.jpg
Views:	2459
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	34203  
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I did a simular test with Xournal, which seems to be generating 'better' PDF-code which more smooth line-endings. See attached PDF.
How is the 'linux-merger-app' performing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009-08-14-Note-08-50.pdf (2.0 KB, 340 views)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot!

I've installed it, and it seems to work so far. However, I have a very stupid question:

When you choose the "Annotate PDF" function and try to open a PDF, where can you find the folder where all your "normal" documents are located?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
When you choose the "Annotate PDF" function and try to open a PDF, where can you find the folder where all your "normal" documents are located?
Unfortunately Xournal can not annotate existing PDF files on the DR. The implementation of the functionality requires an external pdf to bitmap tool. The bitmaps are then imported as 'background'. Since I think that the 'build-in' pdf-viewer/annotator does a much better job, I did not put any effort in porting that part of xournal. My point was that other programs do a better job, so the limitation is not in the pdf-format, but the generated pdf-document.

Back to your question: Xournal shows the folder in which it was started by default. In the top-left corner of the file-dialog, you see 3 icons. In the first one you recognise an arrow, it for going one folder up. The 2nd bring you to the root of the internal flash (you would normally not want to save/load anything from here. The 3rd is the interesting one, it brings you to the root of the SD-card.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Unfortunately Xournal can not annotate existing PDF files on the DR. The implementation of the functionality requires an external pdf to bitmap tool. The bitmaps are then imported as 'background'. Since I think that the 'build-in' pdf-viewer/annotator does a much better job, I did not put any effort in porting that part of xournal. My point was that other programs do a better job, so the limitation is not in the pdf-format, but the generated pdf-document.
Too bad, but I guess that can't be helped at the moment.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how I could display the xoj files the program generates under Windows?

Quote:
Back to your question: Xournal shows the folder in which it was started by default. In the top-left corner of the file-dialog, you see 3 icons. In the first one you recognise an arrow, it for going one folder up. The 2nd bring you to the root of the internal flash (you would normally not want to save/load anything from here. The 3rd is the interesting one, it brings you to the root of the SD-card.
Thanks, that helped!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how I could display the xoj files the program generates under Windows?
You can use File->Export to PDF to write to a PDF file.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can use File->Export to PDF to write to a PDF file.
Unfortunately, this function does not seem to work when I click on it (unlike the "save as" function). Maybe I installed the wrong components, or in the wrong order?

I copied the contents of first "Programs_PdfV3a.zip" and then "Programs_PdfV4a.zip" from this post and then "xournal.zip" from this post into my device, in that order. Then I used the Installer.

I also noticed that the refresh rates when drawing are extremely, further hinting that I made some mistake during installation. Can you help me out?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Xournal doesn't refresh the display as quickly as one may wish yet, but Mackx is working on it.

As you are a winddows user, you can donwload a copy of Xournal for Windows and it will open the .xoj files adn allow further mods (or so it says, I have a Mac and there isn't a mac version)

As far as I recall, V4a may have a few issues yet and so I've stuck to V3 just now, but keeping a watchful eye on things.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately, this function does not seem to work when I click on it (unlike the "save as" function). Maybe I installed the wrong components, or in the wrong order?

I copied the contents of first "Programs_PdfV3a.zip" and then "Programs_PdfV4a.zip" from this post and then "xournal.zip" from this post into my device, in that order. Then I used the Installer.

I also noticed that the refresh rates when drawing are extremely, further hinting that I made some mistake during installation. Can you help me out?
I have not been very carefull by changing version numbers in the patched software so unfortunately I can not check (from here) which version you are actually running. There are two 'development'-lines, the V3 and the V4. The V3 is a full install which has 'safe'-refreshes, so it lags behind 1 to 2 seconds. The V4 versions are experimental versions, but with quick refresh/feedback. The downside is that it sometimes crashes, mostly when a combination of scribbling and full screen refresh is going on (so better lock the keys on the side)
You should have a Xournal and XournalEx short-cut. The first starts the V3a and the 2nd the V4a.
Some questions:
- When you select 'Export to PDF' you will not see anything (no dialog?)?
- If you do a save as, do you get a tiny dialog (3 or 4 files) or a big one (10-12 files)?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
As far as I recall, V4a may have a few issues yet and so I've stuck to V3 just now, but keeping a watchful eye on things.

Howard
I will upload a newer version this weekend, which has some improved stability for the V4 version. Unfortunately I can not make it comlpetely stable without changes in the firmware.
Note that you can have both V3 and V4 versions installed, since V4 is only an executable that is installed in a different location. So you could switch between both version very easily.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
You should have a Xournal and XournalEx short-cut. The first starts the V3a and the 2nd the V4a.
I only have the former. I guess I should try installing V4a again...

Quote:
Some questions:
- When you select 'Export to PDF' you will not see anything (no dialog?)?
Exactly - no dialog, nor anything else.

Quote:
- If you do a save as, do you get a tiny dialog (3 or 4 files) or a big one (10-12 files)?
A tiny one.

Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 08-14-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

OK, this is strange.

In the /Programs/ folder on my 1000S, there is both an xournal.desktop and an xournalEX.desktop file. But in the Home menu, there is only a link to Xournal, not XournalEx.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
As you are a winddows user, you can donwload a copy of Xournal for Windows and it will open the .xoj files adn allow further mods (or so it says, I have a Mac and there isn't a mac version)
AFAIK there isn't a Windows version of Xournal, either...
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
OK, this is strange.

In the /Programs/ folder on my 1000S, there is both an xournal.desktop and an xournalEX.desktop file. But in the Home menu, there is only a link to Xournal, not XournalEx.
The one in the Home folder is from the original/first port of xournal. The onces that are installed by version V3a and V4a are in Documents/Programs/ folder.

(The one in the home folder you can find in /System/Desktop on your SD-card.)
Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
A tiny one.
The latest V4a update, so the one in post #83, should also have a big file dialog. You can also wait for coming weekend (Sat. or Sun.) I will post an update (and make sure the the version is also shown in the Help->About dialog

Tags
merge, scribbles