Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #6361
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@fbone - under Aus law the GST has to be in the price shown, or else clearly shown and then added.

In Kobo's case - the price you see already has the GST calculated in. It's a standard 10%.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #6362
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@fbone - under Aus law the GST has to be in the price shown, or else clearly shown and then added.

In Kobo's case - the price you see already has the GST calculated in. It's a standard 10%.
Thanks. I have to pay 7% sales tax on the purchase price which in this case includes GST. At least it makes the math easier for me.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #6363
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I wish we only had to pay 7% or even 10%. GST in New Zealand is 15%!
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #6364
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I wish we only had to pay 7% or even 10%. GST in New Zealand is 15%!
That may explain why a few of my books were slightly more expensive in NZ than Aus.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #6365
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I learned something new yesterday that I will share here in case others also didnt know.
I bought a book that had no download link and after speaking to Kobo I discovered the book can only be downloaded to an Android device or an iPad.
I told Kobo I had checked the 'Available On These Devices' link before I bought it and on the list it said Windows. So to me that meant I could read the book on my Windows laptop, via the Kobo app.
This is not the case at all. They explained the Windows reference means the book can be read on a tablet or phone that runs Windows, not a PC or laptop running Windows. To be able to read it on my laptop, I needed to have seen "Desktop" on the list, which in this case wasnt there.
I believe this is something that Kobo need to make clearer. Surely I cant be the only one who would think "Windows" means the book would work on their computer?
So to be sure of a books compatibility with your devices, you need to look for what is listed, but you also need to know what isnt listed.
This may mean consulting a crystal ball, as it seems Kobo themselves arent too keen on being up front with all the relevant information needed to make the correct purchases.

Actually I'm having a similar problem with a book I purchased during the big 90% off bargain period. It did not download to the Kobo application on my computer, nor is the Adobe DRM Epub link there. The only one of the books that this is so. The thing of it is that the book is listed as being able to read on a desktop. I've exchanged some emails with Kobo about this and so far I have not gotten any satisfaction. Either they are clueless or being deliberately uninformative.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #6366
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
That may explain why a few of my books were slightly more expensive in NZ than Aus.
Books, both ebooks and treebooks have always been expensive here, often considerably more expensive than in other countries, even after you factor exchange rate and GST into it.

This is the number one reason (among many reasons) why I love ereaders so much.
Before I got an ereader I was lucky if I could buy myself one or two new release books a year. Now I have so many new books I could read one a day for the rest of my life and still die with an impressive list of unread books.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #6367
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Thanks. I have to pay 7% sales tax on the purchase price which in this case includes GST. At least it makes the math easier for me.
O.O

You have to pay sales tax on sales tax? That's pretty abusive taxation.

Where are you located?
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #6368
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
That's what confused me. So was I shown a different price than that of local Australians?

What price is shown for this title Fiendish Schemes?
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-au/Sea...endish+schemes

I suspect Kobo's email may be incorrect.
I did a bit of a comparison a while back to see the difference. I was comparing prices in Ontario, Canada vs Australia. Here is the link to the post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211615 I want to expand the comparison but just haven't had the time. Also, note that comparison was done almost a year ago now so it really needs to be redone and expanded.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #6369
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
O.O

You have to pay sales tax on sales tax? That's pretty abusive taxation.

Where are you located?
New Jersey. I can claim credit for sales taxes paid to other states but, after reviewing the law, not on taxes paid to foreign countries. The law says I must pay 7% on the "purchase price" of foreign goods. Kobo's (and perhaps all Australian) receipts include the tax in the purchase price. Edit: If their receipts itemized the tax paid, like ours do, then I may be able to avoid the tax on tax situation. I probably should call the Division of Taxation to confirm.

Last edited by Fbone; 03-06-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #6370
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Kobo's (and perhaps all Australian) receipts include the tax in the purchase price. Edit: If their receipts itemized the tax paid, like ours do, then I may be able to avoid the tax on tax situation. I probably should call the Division of Taxation to confirm.
While prices in Australia already include the GST all receipts in Australia MUST itemise the GST that has been paid.
For example if a book was $10 plus $1 GST the price would be listed as $11 but the receipt would show that the price was really $10 and the GST was $1.
I have just checked my recent Kobo receipts and for some reason they show $0.00 for the GST. Admittedly the books I purchased were pretty cheap (thanks to the 90% off code) but even on a 66 cent book I should have paid 6 cents GST.
I don't know why that happened as previous receipts (from last year) show the GST at the correct amount.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #6371
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Thanks, HarleyB. My initial guess may still be correct. Kobo's email receipts are not entirely accurate. If the recent batch were similar to yours previously, then I probably could avoid the tax on tax as GST is not a taxable product in NJ.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #6372
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
...I have just checked my recent Kobo receipts and for some reason they show $0.00 for the GST...
Most likely that is because the "shop", although called the "Australian" one and may even have an Australian domain name, is as a business probably not domiciled in Australia (it would seem to me to be an unlikely place to centre their international internet sales from) and so immune from Australian tax legislation.

GST, as expected, is also shown by Kobo as zero in NZ.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #6373
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
New 50%off coupons:

yournext738
fbr50
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #6374
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
New 50%off coupons:

yournext738
fbr50
50%? That's like practically full price!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #6375
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
50%? That's like practically full price!

I agree!!!!!!!

That's half full price!!!!!

This is unacceptable!!!!!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals