Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Download ePubs from calibre content server without Stanza?

Stanza can't read the ePub's I've formatted for my Sony reader. So I can't use it to browse my books over wifi unless I convert all of my ePubs, which I'd like to avoid. Are there any other epub readers that can download books from Calibre's content server? Maybe there's one that has the "open in" feature, so I can view my content server using Safari and then open the epub files in the reader?
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
Stanza can't read the ePub's I've formatted for my Sony reader. So I can't use it to browse my books over wifi unless I convert all of my ePubs, which I'd like to avoid. Are there any other epub readers that can download books from Calibre's content server? Maybe there's one that has the "open in" feature, so I can view my content server using Safari and then open the epub files in the reader?
There are a few that respond to "open in", but why dont you just use ibooks? Megareader and Readme (neither are free apps) also respond but I dont know, if you formatted specifically for your Sony, if Stanza failed, its likely the others will too.

What happened exactly... Was Stanza able to download the books and then be unable to open then, or did the connection to calibre fail... theres a big difference which may have nothing to do with the formatting. I havent been able to connect stanza (or anything except iTunes and my Sony REader) to calibre for over a year. I just sideload instead.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Stanza can download books its compatible with, but calibre's Sony output profile generates ePubs incompatible with Stanza. If I create an ePub with the iPhone output profile, Stanza can download it fine.

When you suggested I just use iBooks, did you mean that iBooks can load books from the content server if you access the content server using Safari? Because I can't seem to get the content server to load from Safari at all - the browser never gives me a login prompt if I have a password enabled. If I don't have a password enabled, it doesn't work either.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Stanza can download books its compatible with, but calibre's Sony output profile generates ePubs incompatible with Stanza. If I create an ePub with the iPhone output profile, Stanza can download it fine.

When you suggested I just use iBooks, did you mean that iBooks can load books from the content server if you access the content server using Safari? Because I can't seem to get the content server to load from Safari at all - the browser never gives me a login prompt if I have a password enabled. If I don't have a password enabled, it doesn't work either.
When I run calibre, and want to transfer books to iBooks, I simply let it connect to itunes, and then tell it which books I want transferred. They will then go to itunes which will sync with ibooks (when you select the books in itunes). No safari required for this process.

The thing that concerns me here is that you may get no joy from that either. If the Sony epub formatting is so different that Stanza can't read it, then its probable that iBooks can't, either.

My recommendation: convert everything to a standard epub output. I have always done that, and the Sony reads those, just as well as any other.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Just saw this thread after posting in another about almost the same thing, i2reader works with calibre content server it was my favourite reading app on my iPod although I have no clue about the Sony formatted epubs. I can say I never had problems with it though.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
As far as I know the calibre profile settings are for image and cover sizes only you should be able to open any of these with all epub readers it should not make difference if they were created a sony profile etc
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
There are a copule of ways to get books from Calibre's content server into ibooks.

The first way is simply to use Safari to navigate to your content server and then when you download the book do an "open in ibooks".

Another way is to use a free app called "ebook search". You can add the opds feed of the content server to that app and then also do an "open in ibooks" to get the book into ibooks.

Both work well, though the latter is a little easier from a touchscreen device.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
Quote:
If you are having trouble connecting to the content server, be sure to try appending the port number to the address of the content server computer. By default it is 8080 (set in Calibre Preferences > Sharing over the net > Server port). So if your content server address is 192.168.1.1 (chances are it's something else), try going to to http://192.168.1.1:8080
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoved View Post
If you are having trouble connecting to the content server, be sure to try appending the port number to the address of the content server computer. By default it is 8080 (set in Calibre Preferences > Sharing over the net > Server port). So if your content server address is 192.168.1.1 (chances are it's something else), try going to to http://192.168.1.1:8080
For any number of mysterious reasons, calibre refuses to work, for some people. I am one of them. This advice is good, but doesn't always work. I *used* to be able to get Stanza and Calibre talking to each other, but have not been able to for a very long time.

Just saying.. so those following it don't think there's something wrong with *them* when it fails.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All sounds very complicated i2reader found my Calibre Server on it's own and you can add the books from within the app that's actually what I liked about it, much easier than finding my cable and syncing through iTunes.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
All sounds very complicated i2reader found my Calibre Server on it's own and you can add the books from within the app that's actually what I liked about it, much easier than finding my cable and syncing through iTunes.
Thats how it used to work for me with Stanza. No idea why Stanza can no longer see the server. It has all the info needed to do so, its on the same network, and yet... fails every time. Perhaps this is another thing that Amazon broke in the updates. I don't think I have managed to sync Stanza and calibre since version 2.something.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Perhaps this is another thing that Amazon broke in the updates.
Nope. Mine's working perfectly fine (on both iOS 4.3.5/Stanza 3.1 & iOS 5.0.2/Stanza 3.2). There's probably something that's changed with your set-up that you're not aware of. Maybe even corrupted files or something given your frequent upgrade/downgrade when iOS 5 was first released.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Nope. Mine's working perfectly fine (on both iOS 4.3.5/Stanza 3.1 & iOS 5.0.2/Stanza 3.2). There's probably something that's changed with your set-up that you're not aware of. Maybe even corrupted files or something given your frequent upgrade/downgrade when iOS 5 was first released.
I'd like it to be that, but mine stopped functioning properly long before iOS5 was released. Dunno, its just flat out weird. Also the up and downgrades wont be the reason, the downgrades were complete restores with the stock 4.3.3, and the upgrade just a normal one.

There is only one thing I can think of which may have affected it, and that would be a jailbreak a long time ago, with an app called Greenp0ison which appears to have left remnants behind no matter what I do. On one of my failed restores, the phone seized up with three lines indicating Greenp0ison was at work...and it should not have been, because I had not used it for over a year. If anything is directly responsible, it will be that.

Either way, I can't make it work. I'll be upgrading my phone (4/4S or 5) as soon as I can, so will see what happens then.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'd like it to be that, but mine stopped functioning properly long before iOS5 was released. Dunno, its just flat out weird. Also the up and downgrades wont be the reason, the downgrades were complete restores with the stock 4.3.3, and the upgrade just a normal one.

There is only one thing I can think of which may have affected it, and that would be a jailbreak a long time ago, with an app called Greenp0ison which appears to have left remnants behind no matter what I do. On one of my failed restores, the phone seized up with three lines indicating Greenp0ison was at work...and it should not have been, because I had not used it for over a year. If anything is directly responsible, it will be that.

Either way, I can't make it work. I'll be upgrading my phone (4/4S or 5) as soon as I can, so will see what happens then.
I had a failed Greenp0ison attempt myself but the restore went fine afterwards but took so long I never tried jailbreaking again, I do remember I restored from DFU mode which might make a difference. The IOS 5 update should have wiped everything and started you fresh though, might be worth checking you can connect to the calibre server from another computer just in case it's a router thing.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
r1roller70
r1roller70 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use calibre with my ipad as well. I have never been able to connect to calibre via wireless. You have to connect the ipad to your computer.
r1roller70 is offline   Reply With Quote