Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Question How and why to save Calibre books to Disc?

Can you tell me the difference of saving books in calibre to disc and just copying and pasting the calibre folder to an external drive?

Want to back them up Can I store them on a memory stick?

Also if I have a drm free book a friend wants how do I give it to her?

Do I copy the authors folder in calibre to a memory stick and they can add it to their pc?
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Can you tell me the difference of saving books in calibre to disc and just copying and pasting the calibre folder to an external drive?

Want to back them up Can I store them on a memory stick?

Also if I have a drm free book a friend wants how do I give it to her?

Do I copy the authors folder in calibre to a memory stick and they can add it to their pc?
Never Never add or remove any file in the Calibre Library by any method except Calinre GUI (or CLI)
Backup = Just copy the whole Library folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I have my Calibre library backed up to a secondary hard drive I use as storage and backup as well as to a CD and a USB thumb drive.
It may seem mucho overkill but I'd dread losing my library.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Taka B.
Mekh
Taka B. began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Ebook / Kindle 3
Save to Disk is perfect for sharing a book.
Pick a format for their reader first or you may get lots of extra files depending on your library.
Save to anywhere (including USB)
Definately NOT for backup
Taka B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

So can you explain Calibre library more to me please then
I musn't mess inside it then
1. So if I want to give a friend one of my drm feee epubs do I take the whole library to them on a memory stick? - if I dont go inside the Calibre folder .Then what.

2. Also if my Kobo keeps slowing down (as it is doing) if I then reset it(is this a good idea also?) -- How do I re add my books through Calibre again?

3. Plus if I want to stop using Calibre for some reason what happens to my books?
How do I add them then?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka B. View Post
Save to Disk is perfect for sharing a book.
Pick a format for their reader first or you may get lots of extra files depending on your library.
Save to anywhere (including USB)
Definately NOT for backup
But how do I save to disc? Why not for back up is it not the same thing? Well confused here lol
Old 01-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But how do I save to disc? Why not for back up is it not the same thing? Well confused here lol
Because STD does not send everything.
you have the book, 1 or more formats
you have the (external to the book) cover
you have the backup (single title) metadata OPF file
Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
So can you explain Calibre library more to me please then
I musn't mess inside it then
1. So if I want to give a friend one of my drm feee epubs do I take the whole library to them on a memory stick? - if I dont go inside the Calibre folder .Then what.

2. Also if my Kobo keeps slowing down (as it is doing) if I then reset it(is this a good idea also?) -- How do I re add my books through Calibre again?

3. Plus if I want to stop using Calibre for some reason what happens to my books?
How do I add them then?
1: That is a great use for STD, send to an external (to the Library) file: drive, device, email temp folder.

3: Deleting Calibre leaves the Library intact. If you have peeked you notice Author folders with title inside those... Your books, just no friendly librarian to find and deliver them.

2) Select books, Send to device (with it connected )
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
When you save to disk the book is stored in a folder by author's name. Within that folder is a folder for the book. Within that folder is the book by file type(s), OPF file and I think the book cover file.
You can easily send the folder of the book containing the above to yourself, a usb storage device, cd, etc. or another person via email as attachments.

It is quite easy to do. The options for sending to device are failry wide and easy to use. If you're not sure how it's going to work practice by creating a folder on your computer and send the book to it using Calibre and the varied send to device options.
You could also go through the more laborious method for copy/paste the file/folder from the Calibre library found in explorer but the send to device method via Calibre is much easier.

You are sending a copy of the book...not the book itself.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because STD does not send everything.
you have the book, 1 or more formats
you have the (external to the book) cover
you have the backup (single title) metadata OPF file
Sorry
Send to Disc is that copy and paste to USB or external then?
Im missing something here
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
polli
Zealot

(Dont know if just deleting all the boks on it and re adding will make it faster again_

But if not and I reset it - I have all my books in Calibre but only 100 of the same ones in ADE . Wont the Kobo need ADE to set it up again and I end up with 100 of my books duplicated?
Sorry all the confusion
Can you just lead me through resetting and re adding books to Kobo
Grateful of all the help here
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

(Dont know if just deleting all the boks on it and re adding will make it faster again_

But if not and I reset it - I have all my books in Calibre but only 100 of the same ones in ADE . Wont the Kobo need ADE to set it up again and I end up with 100 of my books duplicated?
Sorry all the confusion
Can you just lead me through resetting and re adding books to Kobo
Grateful of all the help here
This question belongs in the Kobo Forum
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This question belongs in the Kobo Forum
Thank you
Will post it in the Kobo forum.