Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #151
m4rius
m4rius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Wifi)
Hi inameiname,

that's indeed a helpful hint. Do you use it yourself and have you ever encountered any problems removing these files permamently (until uninstalling)?

One question remains: your install script creates copies in /mnt/us/.kindlesec, but your uninstall script expects the copies in /usr/sbin. Since the files with a "~" suffix don't exist in /usr/sbin, the uninstall script will not work, right?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #152
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Wow, that's really helpful. I'm guessing that I will need to uninstall it to install updates, and then install it again?
I don't believe so. All my way does is to automatically input the commands you would normally have to do via a terminal window on your actual computer using the USB Hack. My way just runs a Launchpad command to run the script I wrote to do the exact same thing. As such, there is no need to uninstall it to deal with firmware updates or anything. That is, unless something changes regarding the actual user logging technique I am using in the script, which I found on this thread.
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #153
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rius View Post
Hi inameiname,

that's indeed a helpful hint. Do you use it yourself and have you ever encountered any problems removing these files permamently (until uninstalling)?

One question remains: your install script creates copies in /mnt/us/.kindlesec, but your uninstall script expects the copies in /usr/sbin. Since the files with a "~" suffix don't exist in /usr/sbin, the uninstall script will not work, right?
I use it myself. I am unsure what you mean by if I have trouble removing these files permanently (until uninstalling). Do you mean the 'user_logging_uninstall.sh script? If so, you can use it to restore the files back to what they were before, OR use the USB Hack and do it manually. All it is is merely an automatic way to input all the commands you would normally input via the USB Hack on your computer. Makes having to install the USB Hack unnecessary. Personally, I keep the USB Hack installed as well, but I am a Linux user, so terminal window use and inputting commands isn't a big deal for me. Also, I found keeping the USB Hack on there a way to see if these scripts actually do their job, and they do upon rechecking. And no, no problems.

And as for your worry about the "~" suffix files, they are indeed there. They are just hidden files. They were created via the user_logging_install.sh script, so they are there. As found in previous postings here, I kept in the /mnt/us/.kindlesec copies as well....just in case. By the way, if you want to check and see if those "~" scripts are actually there, all you have to do is install the USB Hack, connect the Kindle and get into it as found in the USB Hack threads, and then:

Code:
cd /usr/sbin/
ls -ah
cd /usr/bin/
ls -ah
You will then be able to see those "~" files (the 'ls -ah' part).

Last edited by inameiname; 12-21-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #154
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
WARNING: Multiple Kindle Touch owners have reported that their Kindle Touch was bricked (no longer usable) after applying this modification. This may be dangerous for the Kindle Touch!

WARNING: Multiple Kindle Touch owners have reported that their Kindle Touch was bricked (no longer usable) after applying this modification. This may be dangerous for the Kindle Touch!

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-31-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #155
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Hi there,
I wonder if anyone has safely disabled automatic update feature on Kindle Touch! ? If you take a look, you'll see that KT doesn't have /usr/bin/process_update but the files that seem to be related to updating are as follows:

/usr/sbin/updatewait
/usr/sbin/wfm_forceupdate
/usr/sbin/ihbslupdater
/usr/sbin/updatetime
/etc/init/ota-update.conf
/etc/kdb/system/daemon/wand/SIGNAL_UPDATE_TIME
/etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/wand/SIGNAL_UPDATE_TIME
/etc/updater.conf
/etc/upstart/ota-update.conf

Moreso, I guess the last conf file (ota-update.conf) is the file we need to change in order to disable auto update. Does anyone know which parts of the shell program should be changed/removed?

Thanks

Note: I edited Kindle Touch Hacking wiki page too to reflect the massive bricking we experienced recently mostly because of this thread.
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #156
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Umm... What I did to stop getting ToDo's from Amazon was add the following line to /etc/hosts:
Code:
127.0.0.1 todo-g7g.amazon.com
I did it not because of force-updates (I won't share the reasons btw), but I think updates came in form of "ToDo"'s as well.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #157
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
Umm... What I did to stop getting ToDo's from Amazon was add the following line to /etc/hosts:
Code:
127.0.0.1 todo-g7g.amazon.com
I did it not because of force-updates (I won't share the reasons btw), but I think updates came in form of "ToDo"'s as well.
Does this change have any other side effects? (and we're talking about Touch now) because what I want (well at least for now ) is to just disable automatic firmware update!

NOT that I'm not concerned about my data being sent or accessible by Amazon but simply because I had a disaster in disabling logs (ending up in a gorgeous bricked device) and I want to take steps that are safe, one step at a time!

P.S. Personally I don't like any of the methods used in this thread (yes I know they're for Kindle 3)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 02-12-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #158
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, I did this quite a long already, and my device is working.
Usually I have Wi-Fi turned off, so I'm not quite sure if it really stops Amazon from pushing updates to my device tbh...

Last edited by JustAMan; 02-12-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: stupid typos
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #159
kiler129
kiler129 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
What about Kindle 4 non-touch? I disabled updates by editing /usr/bin/process_update
I've changed two parts:

Code:
if [ $BATT -ge ${_MIN_BATT} ]; then
		#msg "Immediate update requested.  Starting" I
                msg "Trolololo ... big brother disabled by user"

# Kill any running updatewaits processes
		killall updatewait 2>/dev/null

#Disable forced updates [send no update file code]
                exit 130

${_UPDATE_WAIT} $@
		exit $?
Code:
# Start updatewait in background and exit
	#${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
	#msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I
	msg "Trying to start update-spy - trololo, disabled by user"
	exit 130
Code #130 mean "no update file" so it should be safe.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #160
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Hello. I've been messing around with my showlog file and just wanted to be sure I leave all "as it was". Yes, I made a backup of it, but it's a bit strange, it already was:

NUMFILES=0
ALLFILES=

Could anyone please send me a copy of showlog for a DXG so I can compare both files?
In any case that's mine: http://www.mediafire.com/?9722ldbe78y963r
Thank you in advance
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #161
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If any Kindle Touch owners are following this thread, I have posted a thread about a different method I have developed to stop logging which I believe to be safe (and has passed tests I designed to check that it's safe):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176972
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #162
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: O_o
Tried this earlier today with a K3.
Using WinSCP, I edited showlog, then it said it was read-only.

How do I change it to re-write and back using WinSCP?
I don't recall even seeing anywhere to type.

Quote:
If any Kindle Touch owners are following this thread, I have posted a thread about a different method I have developed to stop logging which I believe to be safe (and has passed tests I designed to check that it's safe):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176972
Would this method be good for a K3?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #163
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
Tried this earlier today with a K3.
Using WinSCP, I edited showlog, then it said it was read-only.

How do I change it to re-write and back using WinSCP?
I don't recall even seeing anywhere to type.

Would this method be good for a K3?
mntroot rw read write

mntroot ro read only

Quote:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
#################################################
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to switch back to a writable rootfs.

: )

It's under SEND CUSTOM COMMANDS I believe, let me look

EDIT:
CNTRL + T opens a terminal.

CTRL + P open in putty

SHIFT CTRL +N - Local command prompt (etc...)

You should just use putty really

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_287.png
Views:	358
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	94711  

Last edited by twobob; 10-23-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #164
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatolond View Post
Did anyone had success finding out how to obtain the Latitude/Longitude information that OP got from log (apparently, from wand)?
I have yet to get a good look, but I have a K3g and upon lookin my log, could not find those informations. I was looking forward to be able to get the info for my own tracking purposes.
I remember long/lat were included in one of the ;X11 reports, (X = 1 .. 7). It used to show me long. and lat. but I can't get those info in my ;X11 on this firmware anymore!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #165
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That may have been a feature of only the K2/DX(G)
The Kindles using the AData 600 modem does not have on-board GPS.
But those could still report the cell tower's GPS.
Closed Thread