Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #106
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Costco reviews don't seem to be very good, though.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #107
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It is a customized device, much like the Kindle Fire, but aimed at the Vizio Entertainment market. Only 2GB storage but it does have an sd card slot. ..

It might be right for some people, I have a Vizio TV so it would integrate well, but even so I'm not compelled to purchase it. (also that 4:3 thingy )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #108
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
CVS has CRAIG 7inch tablet back for $99.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Another thought for Blossom. The Coby Kyros 7024 is well built and is my carry ereader. I have not installed Mantano but CoolReader, Aldiko, Nook, FBReader and Kindle all work well (side loaded and installed). Anroid Market does not come pre-installed but I installed Amazon Market and Mantano is there.
Regards - John
The Coby Kyros 7024 is really nice for the price. My only thought is if you only used a capacitive screen before how hard is it to accumulate to a resistive screen?

I just saw the weight on it! Over 2lbs!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-15-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #110
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
I'll allow that it's ok for reading books -- I do love my eink kindle (like most of us), and didn't know that the k3 is 4:3...

But. I'll stick to my guns for ANY sort of video use. 4:3 sucks beans for that -- and I'm willing to bet that even Blossom might occasionally watch something, if she gets a tablet.
I don't watch TV at all. I get my news from my phone in RSS feeds. Hubby likes to watch old reruns of Little House other then that I read an ebook or play Sims 2. I occasionally watched movies like when the new HP movies comes out we will get that but it's very rare for me.
I have a bandwidth cap on my net so I don't see me using Amazon's Prime movies. I have a $5 credit right now and have not even used it because the files are so big to download.
I do use YouTube on my phone when I need to see a review or tutorial but other then that I am here buggin' y'all
Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #111
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Coby Kyros 7024 is really nice for the price. My only thought is if you only used a capacitive screen before how hard is it to accumulate to a resistive screen?

That must be shipping weight. The specs say that it is .87 lb and my kitchen scale agrees. The Coby and Fire are almost identical in size and weight.

I don't have any problem going from resistive to capacitive screen. Use your fingernail on the resistive and the soft pad of your finger for the capacitive screen.

Regard - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But. I'll stick to my guns for ANY sort of video use. 4:3 sucks beans for that -- and I'm willing to bet that even Blossom might occasionally watch something, if she gets a tablet.
I guess it all depends what the primary use of the device is. If it's primarily intended for video, then yes, 16:9 is a better aspect ratio than 4:3. But 4:3 is better for reading, web browsing, and probably most other applications which involve reading text. Pros and cons, as always.

I would note that the iPad has been reasonably successful despite its 4:3 aspect ratio screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #113
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess it all depends what the primary use of the device is. If it's primarily intended for video, then yes, 16:9 is a better aspect ratio than 4:3. But 4:3 is better for reading, web browsing, and probably most other applications which involve reading text. Pros and cons, as always.

I would note that the iPad has been reasonably successful despite its 4:3 aspect ratio screen.
I agree! And, this is a site about reading, right?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #114
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I have two tablets with resistive screens (Pandigital Novel and Asus T91mt) and I think that I would never buy another device without a capacitive screen. I would strongly discourage buying any device that still uses a resistive screen!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #115
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Costco reviews don't seem to be very good, though.
I heard that a recent software update improved the device. I also read that installing launcherpro improves the device's speed tremendously.

Here's a good overview:

http://www.androidcentral.com/vizio-tablet-review
Old 10-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #116
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Resistive vs. capacitative: I used to have the 7024 and didn't mind the screen, because the calibrator seemed to work pretty good for my touch, and if it wasn't being very responsive, a fingernail or the stylus would do the trick. However, I didn't have experience with the capacitative screens before. My fiance, who's used to the swipes from the iPhone and other smartphone essentially freaked out on the tablet and would get angry - especially when I said, "Here, give it back" and it would work for me. ;-)

I like the 8-inch screens for e-reading and surfing (I've played with a couple in stores), but I like the feel of the 7-inchers in my hand when I'm reading, probably because they're more "book shaped" and usually a little lighter. Coby's are thick and hefty, but they honestly didn't bother me that much, and I think part of it was the shape. My work Galaxy is lighter, I think, than the Coby 7024, but after a bit of reading on it (holding it in portrait) it starts to feel heavier, and I think it's just the weight distribution. Overdrive also displayed funky in the 7-inch, so I would basically *gasp* break the DRM to reformat it into a normal e-pub, read it, and then return it on Adobe and delete it.

When looking at reviews of budget tablets, keep in mind that many people who buy them might not know what they're getting into in lack of Android Market and certain apps, so some negative reviews are stemming from that disappointment and confusion. A budget Android is not an iPad, and even if someone hasn't used an iPad before, there's this general sense or idea of what it's like. If you want sideloading and some ereading apps, then I don't see why a budget tablet wouldn't work, unless you want really good screen resolution. I would've gone budget again (I was looking at the Skytex Skypad Alpha, $150 on Amazon), but I didn't want to root, periodically trick Android Market, go back to resistive, and fell in love with the resolution on the Galaxy. Hence, the A1 (Netflix is the bonus); our household has had good luck with that brand, and I got the 16GB for $229. :-) As long as it ships, of course :-\ I'm not a gamer, so I won't miss the dual core (though I have triple core on my laptop and love it when I've got a bunch of programs running). I was buying into the screen, brand, and Android/Netflix perks. ::

On the Coby, I used Aldiko (it comes with it, and most tablets I've seen out there do), and experimented with Moon Reader and a couple of others, but always came back to Aldiko. I can't remember what apps came through Coby's AppsLib and which were taken from Market. I think you could get Kindle, Nook, and Kobo, but I won't swear to it. If not, you could pretty much sideload anything, the only trick was Market, since it looks for a licensed device.

PDFs are crummy on a 7-inch screen, I'd imagine they would be better on an 8-inch. And this is another long post ...
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #117
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's primarily intended for video, then yes, 16:9 is a better aspect ratio than 4:3. But 4:3 is better for reading, web browsing, and probably most other applications which involve reading text. Pros and cons, as always.
When I play 16:9 videos on my 4:3 screen it is played at 16:9 with black space top and bottom. Since my 8" 4:3 screen is 6.4 inches wide and my 7" 16:9 is 6.1 inches wide, a 16:9 video displayed on the 8" screen is 5% larger.

If you want to watch old TV shows, as I do, that were filmed in 4:3 you are far better off with a 4:3 tablet. On a 7" 16:9, the old shows are only 4.6X3.4 inches with black space left and right.

It seems to me that an 8" 4:3 might be the best all around tablet format. But as the saying goes:"to each his own".

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I have decided to not to get another E-Ink reader seeing the K4 meets my reading needs. So I am going to get a tablet right now it's between the Velocity Micro Cruz T408 or Kindle Fire they are both the same price. I think I really need a Capacitive screen and I read on QVC that the Pandigital Nova even though it's suppose to be Capacitive it's very unresponsive so that is out.

Hubby likes the Fire though he doesn't understand why I am looking for alternatives if turns out we can't sideload.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #119
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
That must be shipping weight. The specs say that it is .87 lb and my kitchen scale agrees. The Coby and Fire are almost identical in size and weight.

I don't have any problem going from resistive to capacitive screen. Use your fingernail on the resistive and the soft pad of your finger for the capacitive screen.

Regard - John
Okay thanks It's good to know I was like 2 pounds!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #120
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
On the Coby, I used Aldiko (it comes with it, and most tablets I've seen out there do), and experimented with Moon Reader and a couple of others, but always came back to Aldiko. I can't remember what apps came through Coby's AppsLib and which were taken from Market. I think you could get Kindle, Nook, and Kobo, but I won't swear to it. If not, you could pretty much sideload anything, the only trick was Market, since it looks for a licensed device.

PDFs are crummy on a 7-inch screen, I'd imagine they would be better on an 8-inch. And this is another long post ...
You should try Mantano. It's wonderful! I've tried them all. I know it's the price of a paperback but It's well worth it but they do a have a free trial you can try before buying. It looks like I am going to have to buy it again at the google market because thanks to Amazon's delay in validating apps I wont get the new version for a very long time.