Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Guillaume
Guillaume began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ePub conversion problem

Hi,

I'm working for a photography magazine and we are trying to create an ePub format from the PDF file.

I have a few problem with it!
The PDF file is made of 125 pages and when I read the ePub version, I have 1661 pages. Each photo goes on one page (instead of 5 photos per page) and there's several blank pages. Some photos have also their color changed.
I've read a lot about the problem of blank pages but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Here's a screenshot of the color problem. You can also see that the code is taking one page.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks!
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
I'm working for a photography magazine and we are trying to create an ePub format from the PDF file.
To begin with using PDF as a source for this ePub is doomed to failure. Read this sticky post for more info.

Quote:
The PDF file is made of 125 pages and when I read the ePub version, I have 1661 pages.
This isn't going to change. PDF is a print format with a set number of pages. Epub is a reflowable format where the number of pages vary per device size and font size.

Quote:
Each photo goes on one page (instead of 5 photos per page) and there's several blank pages.
Five photos per page on a 6 inch reader isn't going to work. If you are just creating this magazine to be viewed on a pc or in print then stick with PDF.

I have a few suggestions.

1. Wrap your head around the Pros and Cons of the epub format.2. Avoid PDF as input for creating and ePub.
3. Develop your magazine as html this will allow easy conversion to multiple formats.
4. Try alternative solutions for creating epubs.5. Go back to number 1.

My experience is limited so I can't address specifics. You might want to seek out development help in the Epub sub-forum.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Guillaume
Guillaume began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you for answering me!

It seems to be way too complicated for me, or at least, it will take time!

Are there any free magazines in ePub format I can download somewhere to see how it looks like on an iPhone?
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well... if you liked one option would be to install the Kobo iPhone application, and then try the free subscription to PC Magazine....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, problem