Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 02:29 AM   #61
scanner
scanner began at the beginning.

Device: sony
I asked them by email and they answered a little more than 20 seconds for an A4 300dpi greyscale, disappointing...

but I don't trust that they understood my question well lol
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #62
scanner
scanner began at the beginning.

Device: sony
also I asked them for a sample but they don't respond
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #63
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
nope, it's not about thin paper, it's about book page (the half of the book is at the back of the page I scan)
This is bleed-through from the pages behind the one that you're scanning, and/or from the reverse side of the page itself.

The Opticbook 3600 comes with a thin sheet of black plastic (stored behind the white background on the lid). In order to improve the scan quality on pages with a lot of bleed-through, you need to insert that sheet of black plastic between the page-to-be-scanned and the pages following it. Because it's solid black, it will counteract most if not all of the bleed-through. That will produce a cleaner, crisper scan with letters that are more easily recognized by the OCR software, plus it will reduce or eliminate the presence of the "black dot" artifacts that you mentioned.

When scanning manga printed on either finer or cheaper paper, for example, using the black sheet for backing is often essential to getting an acceptable scan. The same holds true for scanning text content from, for example, fanzines, which are often printed on thinner, cheaper paper, and, in the case of older publications, may have even been originally produced by a dot matrix printer and then photocopied. Using the black plastic sheet slows down the scanning process considerably, as it means adding an extra step to move the sheet between scans, but it's time well spent.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #64
RogOhio
RogOhio began at the beginning.

Device: Optibook 3600 plus
Caution

I have one of these. Thought it was pretty good after doing about 50 -60 pages as a set-up test.
The project got sidelined till a few weeks ago. Tried to start again but the bulb would not light completely.
So far plustek has not seen fit to respond.
Google this unit and you will find that others have also had problems with ultra short bulb life.

If I ever get plustek to stand behind their product I will post here.
RogOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #65
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Thanks. Keep us posted.
Good luck with Plustek.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #66
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Problem posted sorted...

Last edited by PieOPah; 01-30-2009 at 09:47 AM.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #67
ctkierst
Enthusiast
ctkierst began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook IQ
Does anybody know of a comparable product that works with a Mac? I don't really want to buy a Windows machine just for scanning, and I'm dubious about using the virtual machine software.
ctkierst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #68
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

I do not have a Mac myself (and never used one), but Plustek have a “beta” driver for the Opticbook 3600… one can (per example) get it here: http://plustek.com/oeu/products/opti...downloads.html

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #69
ctkierst
Enthusiast
ctkierst began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook IQ
Thanks, I'll have to check that out!
ctkierst is offline   Reply With Quote