Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #31
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
It would make sense... actually that also seems to be true of the regular Jetbook....

It certainly doesn't make sense for them to have 2 5" readers that use replaceable batteries unless the Jetbook Mini had some capability that the original unit didn't have. It certainly looks to be the best physical design I have seen if the purpose is limited to just reading.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #32
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I use the numbers on the JBL to jump to a certain page and back; and to select one of eight folders on the page, and then one of eight books on the page. I wonder how the Mini does it without number buttons.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #33
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I'm like Russell, I use my # keys on the right for most functions. But I'd love to see how a mini works, and stacks up.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I use the numbers on the JBL to jump to a certain page and back; and to select one of eight folders on the page, and then one of eight books on the page. I wonder how the Mini does it without number buttons.
Ditto.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
Pinnacler
Pinnacler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I had a chance to toy with one and did the same. I wonder if it's even possible to jump pages on the mini, or do you have to manually go through every single one? It most likely has a hold-button feature that increasing page turning speed the longer you hold it.

For ex:
press button= turns 1 page at a time
hold 5 seconds = turns 2 page at a time
hold 10 seconds = turns 5 pages at a time

and so on and so on
Pinnacler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #36
Flyingredgoat
Flyingredgoat is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook mini / Handspring Visor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacler View Post
I had a chance to toy with one and did the same. I wonder if it's even possible to jump pages on the mini, or do you have to manually go through every single one? It most likely has a hold-button feature that increasing page turning speed the longer you hold it.

For ex:
press button= turns 1 page at a time
hold 5 seconds = turns 2 page at a time
hold 10 seconds = turns 5 pages at a time

and so on and so on
We'll soon find out, it's here.

http://www.ectaco.com/jetbook-mini-black/

frg
Flyingredgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #37
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
frg, karma to you for your heads up!

A year ago when Ectaco introduced the JBL, it's primary sales pitch was that it was the least expensive eBook reader with an MSRP of $149.99. Here we see that the Mini has the same pitch, and the MSRP is only $99.95.

Newegg offered the JBL for $117 in mid-December. Can we expect to see Newegg offer the Mini for $69 sometime during the Christmas season?

90 hours reading time!

How does 5.8 ozs. compare to other devices?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #38
Flyingredgoat
Flyingredgoat is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook mini / Handspring Visor
Quote:
frg, karma to you for your heads up!

A year ago when Ectaco introduced the JBL, it's primary sales pitch was that it was the least expensive eBook reader with an MSRP of $149.99. Here we see that the Mini has the same pitch, and the MSRP is only $99.95.

Newegg offered the JBL for $117 in mid-December. Can we expect to see Newegg offer the Mini for $69 sometime during the Christmas season?

90 hours reading time!

How does 5.8 ozs. compare to other devices?
Looks like you get what you pay for. Only 2 gig supported, and only txt and fb2 formats supported.

frg
Flyingredgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #39
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingredgoat View Post
Looks like you get what you pay for. Only 2 gig supported, and only txt and fb2 formats supported.

frg
I agree. With no DRM support for any booksellers or public libraries and being required to convert everything to txt or fb2 formats I'd say this will be a bust. It's 1 step forward and 3 steps back for Ectaco on this one. The one BIG feature that make the jetBook family of products a viable alternative to Nooks and Kindles was the number of formats it supports. The mini would have to be under $20 before I would bite. IMHO, this is a huge disappointment! For Ectaco's sake I HOPE they don't see this as a replacement to the JBL. The JBL is a MUCH better value!
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #40
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Jetbook only supported 2gig SD cards when it came out as well.

My guess is that inside of 4 months you'll see a price below 65$ at newegg, and updated firmware for the SD card.

I like the rotation options, and my wife would love to be able to go a step lighter than the Jetbook.

What I don't love is apparently only 2 formats supported natively, the rest must be converted.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 09-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook, jetbook mini