Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Exclamation Extracting a cover image from lit file

How can I do this? Which converter should I use?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What's the warning about?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Worldwalker I don't understand your post. What warning?
Paul

You mean the yellow triangle? I just used that to draw atterntion to my post. No warning intended.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Never mind I figured it out! Convert to epub, open epub as zip, extract cover. Ta Da!
Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good work on figuring it out. That's certainly faster than I figured out how to pry an image out of a PDF. (if you care, there are image-extraction programs) Why some people think the best way to email an image file is to put it into a freaking PDF (thereby doubling its size) and then leaving you to extract it so you can actually use it boggles the mind. But yeah, epub is easy to take apart. That's one of its great virtues.

If you want to do it the quick-and-dirty way, right-clicking on the cover image in calibre and selecting "copy image", then pasting it into the graphics program of your choice and saving it, is probably faster. Whether gives you the full resolution image or not, I can't say.

As for the icon issue, you picked the international warning symbol (you've probably met it in a manual somewhere, flagging "do not use this hairdryer in the bathtub") for your icon; that is, or should be, normally applied to posts like "if you do this, all your ebooks will go away." I always check those posts first for that reason -- so in that sense, yes, you did succeed in getting special attention -- but when they're just someone's question, not an actual warning, I end up feeling rather peeved. You don't have to worry on MobileRead -- everyone will read your post anyway without you calling extra attention to it; that's what we do.
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
How can I do this? Which converter should I use?
Just adding the lit ebook to calibre takes the cover from the lit file and saves it as cover.jpg in the folder for that ebook. No conversion needed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

<--- just learned something