Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Install koreader on onyx boox monte carlo

I have installed KOreader on my Kobo Clara hd, and like it so much I want to install it on my Onyx Boox Monte Carlo too.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ndroid-devices tells me I can install it 2 ways, using the Monte Carlo's inbuilt web browser and downloading koreader directly into the device, or by downloading to my computer and installing from there with the command
Code:
sudo adb install koreader-*.apk
Downloading directly to the Monte Carlo did not work. It persistently tells me that the koreader download site, https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases is unavailable.

So I download the koreader package to my laptop instead, and attempt to install it using
Code:
sudo adb install koreader-*.apk
which produced the following comments from adb:
Quote:
~ $ sudo adb install koreader-*.apk
[sudo] password for q:
error: no devices/emulators found
error: no devices/emulators found
Performing Streamed Install
adb: connect error for write: no devices/emulators found
I tried the adb install both with the Monte Carlo connected via usb but not mounted, and also mounted (according to Thunar) on
Quote:
mtp://Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/
Same result either way. Could someone kindly advise me here.

Studying man adb prompted me to also try
Code:
~ $ sudo adb -d -s mtp://Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/ install koreader-*.apk
error: unknown host service
error: unknown host service
adb: connect error for write: device 'mtp://Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/' not found
~ $ sudo adb -d -s Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/ install koreader-*.apk
error: device 'Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/' not found
error: device 'Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/' not found
adb: connect error for write: device 'Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/' not found
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:21 PM   #2
jnieland
jnieland began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Boox Leaf 2, Boox Note Air2 Plus
You don't have to mount it.
Did you enable USB debug mode on the device?
jnieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2023, 12:56 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
For adb to work, you first need to enable developer settings and then authorize the connection on the device after you connect to PC.

For apk, why don’t you just move apk to the device and install locally?

Also, KOReader is about to drop support for old Android 4.x (I forgot which exactly), so make sure you are compatible first. There is a pinned issue ticket in KOReader’s github about the dropping support.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:03 AM   #4
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Is this your device? https://onyxboox.com/boox_monte-cristo

If yes then you just need to
  1. Go to download page
  2. Open search in browser, find arm-, download the first file
  3. Place the file in your eink device
  4. Open file manager in your device, and then select the file you just transferred
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #5
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Thank you all, @jnieland, @mergen3107 and @winstonma for your suggestions. I will implement them and report back on the result.

In the event I used the simplest solution suggested by both @mergen3107 and @winstonma, transferrred the *.apk from my computer to the Books folder on the Monte Cristo and selected it as if it were a book to be read. Thank you all again.

PS There doesn't seem to be any method of marking this Thread as 'Solved'. Is that so or am I missing something?

Last edited by porphyry5; 07-28-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Posted solution used, query marking thread as solved
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
adb, koreader, onyx boox, thunar