Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #16
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito
Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
A) eink is almost mechanical. Each dot is a number of black balls in a milky liquid. They stick on the back or front of the cell.
B) It is a niche market.
C) It obviously is magic, it's even got ghosts.
Ghosts?
Tra Le Righe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra Le Righe View Post
Ghosts?
When the page refreshes and you can still see traces of the old words this is called ghosting.

The latest generation of Carta screens is nearly free of ghosting. If you are hawk eyed and spy some, there is a drop down menue where you can select after how many pages you'd like the device to "clean" the screen completely of any ghosting. I don't realize the cleaning happens while I read, my reader is set to every 10 pages, but it is totally possible I don't see it because I've been using ereaders for a decade now and am so used to. Hard to say. Or there really isn't any ghosting anymore. Or is the ghosting just a ghost?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #18
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito
Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
When the page refreshes and you can still see traces of the old words this is called ghosting.

The latest generation of Carta screens is nearly free of ghosting. If you are hawk eyed and spy some, there is a drop down menue where you can select after how many pages you'd like the device to "clean" the screen completely of any ghosting. I don't realize the cleaning happens while I read, my reader is set to every 10 pages, but it is totally possible I don't see it because I've been using ereaders for a decade now and am so used to. Hard to say. Or there really isn't any ghosting anymore. Or is the ghosting just a ghost?
I understand now what the refresh rate item on the menu is for, thanks!
Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I understand now what the refresh rate item on the menu is for, thanks!
Ah, anything else a mystery? Just ask, please

Oh, I just realized: It is already there!!!

Do you like it?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #20
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Ah, anything else a mystery? Just ask, please

Oh, I just realized: It is already there!!!

Do you like it?
Yes, I do!
For now I have no other doubts to clarify, also because the software seems to me very clear and user-friendly, but as soon as I need some clarification I will write below
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Yes, I do!

Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #22
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
I am speechless... It seems to be in a Harry Potter saga movie, the printed characters are moving! With the smartphone it is different: the mind perfectly realizes that it is a digital screen, but with the Kobo my head thinks it is normal printed paper, but immediately afterwards the writing changes. It's magic! I don't know how I did reading analogue books until now.
Not to mention the one I think is the most important thing, which is that I can literally keep thousands of books in the palm of my hand.
Does the Kobo allow you to make notes? I am worried after using the Kobo Aura HD & H2O that it again just isn't good enough at it.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If using Calibre "Kobo Utilities", then any Kobo with the current or last few years firmware is better than Kindle, Nook or Sony for taking notes / annotations and getting them into something else.

If you want random notes, then use a wordprocessor -> docx -> Calibre -> epub and make an ebook with A - Z, Topics and Dates as headings and a bit of body text (maybe multiple lines) to add annotations to.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #24
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I was rather thinking Pocketbook or Likebook for note taking. For example the Inkpad 3 pro or the Ares.
I found that my first generation Kobo H2O is horribly slow in typing in your notes. I reverted back to pen and paper for that.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Libra though is MUCH faster than the original H2O.
The very first FW I had on the H2O was very very slow to type with. Later versions made it about the same as anything else, but it was still rather slow to select source text. The Libra is much faster than that.

The keyboard on the Kindle DXG and the 6" Kindle Keyboard (gen 3?) I have are terrible. My touch screen phone, H2O original and Libra are all better.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #26
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I am speechless... It seems to be in a Harry Potter saga movie, the printed characters are moving! With the smartphone it is different: the mind perfectly realizes that it is a digital screen, but with the Kobo my head thinks it is normal printed paper, but immediately afterwards the writing changes. It's magic! I don't know how I did reading analogue books until now.
Not to mention the one I think is the most important thing, which is that I can literally keep thousands of books in the palm of my hand.
When I got my very first eReader, I spent a blissful two weeks in my spare time looking at every item on the Project Gutenberg website. I have about 4000 books in my Calibre library, and about 800 on my Forma.

There is a sticky on here about managing shelves with Calibre for Kobos, and it's amazing! It makes it so if you have something like the Discworld books that have like 20+ books, you can label them so it will show up on your reader like "Discworld - 15 - Whatever that one is called", so you don't spend ages trying to figure out which one is the next one you need to read.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #27
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
When I got my very first eReader, I spent a blissful two weeks in my spare time looking at every item on the Project Gutenberg website. I have about 4000 books in my Calibre library, and about 800 on my Forma.

There is a sticky on here about managing shelves with Calibre for Kobos, and it's amazing! It makes it so if you have something like the Discworld books that have like 20+ books, you can label them so it will show up on your reader like "Discworld - 15 - Whatever that one is called", so you don't spend ages trying to figure out which one is the next one you need to read.
Forgive me, I was lost in the depths of a book.
I have seen that, although it is very simple and user-friendly, this Kobo Forma also has many advanced features (especially when combined with good management of Calibre). For now I go quite slow with the advanced functions also because of my job, but thanks for the tip!

Tags
ereader, ereader help, ereader pro, onyx, onyx boox