Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #481
bopsis
bopsis began at the beginning.

Device: POCKETBOOK PRO 903, Microsoft Surface Pro, Onyx BOOX Max2
Thank you for the advice. It's really a bug, other apps are displayed under the active applications menu, only Neo Reader is absent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
You should raise a bug notice / feature request at Onyx.
The operative suggestion is the same, same as that to Randy.
bopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #482
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
What browser are you using? Lightning - for one - allows opening local files...
And if you need tabs, Firefox has them.
hello,

I've installed Opera (https://www.opera.com/mobile/android), the standard version. The capacitive touch is not well recognised. It's necessary to push a button to refresh the display.

I'm looking for the APK version of Firefox, but I don't know how to download it from the Mozilla's site. Yes, there is a the Google play store, but I don't want create an account or connect my Max2 to Internet. There is some sites that propose an APK version of Firefox, but I don't know if they are sure : a hacked version is always possible on a non official site.

How to obtain the APK version of Firefox without Google Play ?

Could you propose an other Web browser that is usable with the capacitive touch ?

Thanks.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #483
eater
Enthusiast
eater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it is

Device: linux desktop
Looks like you can download the APK directly from here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android
eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #484
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eater View Post
Looks like you can download the APK directly from here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android
Thanks Eater

I've downloaded the APK version of Firefox 'Fennec'.

But same trouble ... that could be saved with the A2 mode for the refresh of screen. Firefox (Fennec) is better than Opera, but navigate and scroll in the HTML documentation is ugly

Any Idea for an other WEB browser compatible with the standard mode for the screen (not the A2 mode) and with multitab, that can be download without the Gooble Play store ?
Old 11-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #485
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Any Idea for an other WEB browser compatible with the standard mode for the screen (not the A2 mode) and with multitab, that can be download without the Gooble Play store ?
Potentially all Android software which does not require purchase is available from websites that allow to "download APK".
Those packages are not supposed to be hacked.
There exist websites that allow for malware scanning.

All applications are supposed to work in greyscale the same way as they work in A2...

Quote:
but navigate and scroll in the HTML documentation is ugly
As noted other times, auto switch to A2 when scrolling a WebView seems to be a feature from Onyx.

Last edited by mdp; 11-24-2018 at 06:36 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #486
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Potentially all Android software which does not require purchase is available from websites that allow to "download APK".
Those packages are not supposed to be hacked.
About the hacking, the case for Windows of Ccleaner was remarkable : even the code on the editor's site was dangerous, many hours spent by the IT teams to remove the software off all PC.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #487
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
About the hacking, the case for Windows of Ccleaner was remarkable : even the code on the editor's site was dangerous, many hours spent by the IT teams to remove the software off all PC.
Very different matter.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #488
Randy11
Wizard

This is why I prefer download an application directly from the source.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #489
Randy11
Wizard

Browser without Wifi - firmware 1.9.1 : solved by Opera and Firefox :confused:

Quote:
Hello,

I try to use the browser to read the Ruby's documentation, core and stdlib which they are in HTML format : http://ruby-doc.org/downloads

The browser ask continuously to active the Wifi and I don't activate it. The browser is useful because there is the 'tab' function.

At this point, I can't read my doc.

How to use the browser for local files without Wifi ?

Thanks for your help.
With your help, I installed Firefox with an APK. I've retested the Max2's native browser : now is working Even when I remove Opera and Firefox and reinstall the 1.9.1 firmware, the Max2's browser keep usable : when the question to activate the WIFI is ask and the reply is 'Cancel', the choice is keeped and asked only when a new tab is opened. I've post on Onyx's BBS forum.

I suppose that with Opera and Firefox, when the question to activate is ask, the reply is well managed and create a missing directory, file or change some files's properties ignored by the Max2's browser, after Firefox or Opera, it could work as expected.

But if someone could confirm, it will be good.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #490
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
This is why I prefer download an application directly from the source.
But of course, but that is the most basic common sense - knowing that software can be tampered with; unfortunately, on Android it may be impossible [to «download an application directly from the source»], because of Play as the main source [and developers only seldom releasing elsewhere]...

Fortunately, nonetheless, Android packages are signed... So you can compare signatures...

EDIT: ...although it may not be straightforward, since I am not sure there exists a repository of keys for comparison.

This command, for example, will return keys:
Code:
unzip -p MyAndroidPacKage.apk META-INF/CERT.RSA | keytool -printcert
For example, if the SHA1 key, is the following, the package has to be from holders of the Onyx key:
20:55:FA:A2:A5:9A:FB:30:C6:08:2E:CC:F9:31:EF:01: DF:00:82:19

As per:
Code:
> unzip -p onyx--monitor-release.apk META-INF/CERT.RSA | keytool -printcert 

Owner: CN=Zeng Zhu, OU=Onyx International, O=Onyx International, L=Guang Zhou, ST=Guang Dong, C=CN
Issuer: CN=Zeng Zhu, OU=Onyx International, O=Onyx International, L=Guang Zhou, ST=Guang Dong, C=CN
Serial number: 50c3e49a
Valid from: Sun Dec 09 02:08:42 CET 2012 until: Thu Apr 26 03:08:42 CEST 2040
Certificate fingerprints:
	 SHA1: 20:55:FA:A2:A5:9A:FB:30:C6:08:2E:CC:F9:31:EF:01:DF:00:82:19
	 SHA256: 02:5A:F5:EC:E2:A5:C5:0A:A9:CC:78:5B:81:B6:45:1F:49:98:64:15:A5:E6:A8:36:C8:AD:0B:54:04:85:BD:86
Signature algorithm name: SHA1withRSA
Subject Public Key Algorithm: 2048-bit RSA key

Last edited by mdp; 11-29-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #491
johey
johey began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Max2 Pro and M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by coddingtonbear View Post
After the 1.9.1 update (and the most recent Neo Reader update from "Apps Update Check"), I've been encountering a new problem in which PDF files cannot be opened if the screen is rotated from its normal orientation. I recognize that using screen rotation isn't officially supported, but I've lately been using my Boox upside-down so the USB connector is at the top of the device, and I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue, and if so, found a workaround.
Have you found a solution to this? I’m suffering from the exact same savage. This is severe. I have tonnes of sheet music with custom annotations, so I cannot easily switch app, and not rotating the screen makes it shut down when put on the piano.
johey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #492
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johey View Post
Have you found a solution to this? I’m suffering from the exact same savage. This is severe. I have tonnes of sheet music with custom annotations, so I cannot easily switch app, and not rotating the screen makes it shut down when put on the piano.
Perhaps it's a silly solution, but have you ever tried to use felt strips to apply on the base of Onyx Boox?
Something like this

amazon link
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #493
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johey View Post
I use this app to rotate the screen.
When started, it displays possibilities for rotation in the notfication bar.
I either use it in 180 degrees (Portrait Reverse), then the power button is on top and cannot been accidentally pressed. (This also works with the stock neoreader app.) I can even charge the reader while playing, e.g. by an external battery pack.
Or I use it in 90 degree mode - then two pages fit on one screen in Landscape mode in other apps than the stock neoreader - e.g. MobileSheetsPro which I use to work with sheet music.

Only drawbacks:
- the rotation app does not autostart on boot - you have to manually activate it (two taps)
- the hardware buttons don't change and are in the Portrait Reverse the wrong way - you could remap them with an app, but I just use taps/swipes on the screen anyway.

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #494
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
This afternoon, my Max 2 suddenly deleted every single pen annotation I have ever made on every single file on the device. Luckily, I export annotations to PDF and automatically sync them to Dropbox every evening, so only today's work was actually lost. It is nevertheless annoying. I assume some sort of database corruption is to blame. Does anyone have any idea as to why this may have happened, and how I might avoid it in future?
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #495
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddingtonbear View Post
After the 1.9.1 update (and the most recent Neo Reader update from "Apps Update Check"), I've been encountering a new problem in which PDF files cannot be opened if the screen is rotated from its normal orientation. I recognize that using screen rotation isn't officially supported, but I've lately been using my Boox upside-down so the USB connector is at the top of the device, and I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue, and if so, found a workaround.
I noticed this the other day too with the "upside-down" rotation...I found (as was suggested by eater) that using another reader app worked.

Oddly enough, when I try now it appears to work...in both cases I used the app "Rotation Control". Not sure if it's related, but when it worked, I had just tried a sideways rotation first (after which a PDF was viewable but unrotated), backed out of the app, adjusted the rotation and now it is displaying fine. Strange...
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote