Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Poke2

6 inches in black and white or in color.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
pinko
pinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox C67
yes, Poke 2 is out!
https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-boox-...tecniche-29651

and some informations about Poke2 color:
https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-boox-...immagine-29652

It supports mixed mode, so it could detect the contents automatically. color-mode for images with resolution 100 ppi, B&N mode for text with 300 dpi.
pinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
Kind of tempted... for when I can actually leave my house again! I’d get rid of my Oasis for this.... wonder if waiting for the Color is worth the wait.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm guessing that color mode has low picture quality, dull color, things like that. Also, although I haven't seen a price, my gut feeling is that it's likely to be expensive.

So probably DoA.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I’ve been looking for a compact reader that could replace my Kobo Mini and this one is awfully close in size. The weight is nearly the same as the Mini (135g) - only 1g more which is impressive.

BUT, with Onyx announcing the Poke Color I’m going to hold off. A color eInk device running Android 9 opens up a whole world of possibilities.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I’ve been looking for a compact reader that could replace my Kobo Mini and this one is awfully close in size. The weight is nearly the same as the Mini (135g) - only 1g more which is impressive.

BUT, with Onyx announcing the Poke Color I’m going to hold off. A color eInk device running Android 9 opens up a whole world of possibilities.
If you're looking for a mini ereader, you may want to consider the Hisense A5 phone. Although it is an eink phone, a good number of people are using it primarily as an ereader, myself included.

Hisense will also apparently be coming out with a colour eink phone in the near future.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:

i think android 9 will be out of date long before color e-ink becomes affordable
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #8
adrians
Enthusiast
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
There's yet another 6" colour reader coming out from Pocketbook. I wonder if it has the same specs as the Poke color.

Price is set at 200 Euros
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:55 AM   #9
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
According to Boox's online shop it is 150g.

The weight improvement seems to come mostly at the expense of battery capacity -- it only has 60% of the capacity of the Poke Pro (1500mAh vs 2500 mAh).

Last edited by Hrafn; 04-23-2020 at 12:59 AM. Reason: battery capacity
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #10
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians View Post

wait, like the same price as an monochrome device ?
either they are bad merchants or the screen is so bad that you don't want it
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians View Post
Actually, what the (Google-translated) article said was "PocketBook Color will be available in the third quarter of 2020 (June?) At a price that should be around 200 euros." "Should" & "around" = not "set", but rather a guestimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
wait, like the same price as an monochrome device ?
either they are bad merchants or the screen is so bad that you don't want it
I'm under the impression that most current color technology doesn't involve much extra tech, just a filter and inherently-lower resolution.

Last edited by Hrafn; 04-23-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Two thoughts.

1. I am not sure if a flush screen is as clear to read on as a bevel screen. Does flush screen involve an extra layer? Is it more glossy? (edit: flush is fine.)

2. Color will change everything. If Onyx sells a color device, then it is not vaporware. It is finally here. That said, I personally see no value in a 6" color device. For me, it must be large enough to read larger format documents like magazines and comics for it to have an application. But it's still impressive and exciting, and they must start somewhere. In any case, Onyx continues to innovate.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-23-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
This preview of the Onyx Color looks pretty impressive:

https://youtu.be/GRkAAc4x-JI
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
This preview of the Onyx Color looks pretty impressive:

https://youtu.be/GRkAAc4x-JI
100 dpi?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The firmware on the 10" Onyx is, to put it mildly, disappointing. While the Pocketbook's is very nice. On the other hand, the only place in the US I could find to buy a Pocketbook was GoodEreader. If you decide to get an Onyx I recommend ereader.store, in Germany; I had no problem with them shipping to the US; it's a shame they don't carry Pocketbook.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote