Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
tony68
tony68 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-2
Sony Reader for PC crashes when importing epub

Hi All
New Member looking for help

Sony Reader for PC crashes when importing epub book converted from Kindle format.

Problem is with 2 books purchased from Amazon converted to epub format via Calibre. When trying to import either book into Reader for PC (Windows XP) the program crashes generating the usual Microsoft error message – the program has encountered a problem and needs to close. Do not have this problem with any other Kindle books that have been purchased and converted. The books have been deleted from my system, downloaded and converted again and still have the same problem. Interestingly, the titles are from the same author and as an experiment, one of the titles was repurchased from Smashwords and loaded into Reader successfully. Did not know about Smashwords until this problem showed up. No help could be found on the Sony website and obviously there is no point approaching Amazon.

Any ideas as to the cause of this problem would be appreciated.
tony68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
It could be a gazillion things but I suspect it's a drm issue.... stripping drm can cause problems... have you tried loading the epubs into SIGIL or even into calibre
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
tony68

Hi bla

Both epubs read perfect in SIGIL and Calibre. I suspect something on conversion causes the problem with Reader. Normally once a file is loaded into Reader for PC I transfer using sync to my PRS-T2. I am reluctant to do a direct load in case the problem files screw up the PRS-T2. Any further thoughts.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have side-loaded many converted books on the T1 using calibre with no problems. However one never knows for sure. If you are nervous perhaps put it on an SD card?

I am not a fan of the newer version of Reader for PC so can't address that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Probably not an ideal solution but I think I'd have Calibre convert it to something else and then back to epub. I don't think something like a RTF file could keep the DRM although you are almost certain to lose the original formatting and images that way.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
tony68

I will try a double convert and report back

Tony
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
tony68

Hi
Double conversion worked. First try - "Defective" epub to pdf to epub. pdf file and second epub file loads to Reader for PC OK. Second try "Defective" epub to mobi to epub. Again second epub loads OK. Just to prove a point, title removed from Calibre library and original Kindle file imported and converted to epub. This epub file crashes Reader. One observation is that the Kindle file has extension .azw but shows up in Calibre as .azw3. Is this significant? I have to admit that I do not understand what is going on especially as the second try was via a Kindle format. Ideas please.
Problem solved in a round about way so can now transfer title to PRS-T2.

Tony
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony68 View Post
Double conversion worked. First try - "Defective" epub to pdf to epub. pdf file and second epub file loads to Reader for PC OK.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You should never ever convert to PDF and then back to ePub. That's the best way to ruin the eBook. Don't ever do that.

Now, onto the problem at hand. Just use Calibre to manage your content. Then it wont crash and you won't have to make things worse with a double conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I have never had a problem converting azw3 to epub, yet, but amazon hates calibre, so who knows what the future may hold. Maybe you need to uninstall Calibre and then reinstall it if the problem continues.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
tony68

Hi JSWolf

I think you have missed the point. Converting to pdf and then back was an experiment to see if the conversion solved the initial problem. I would not normally dream of using pdf - file sizes are enormous. Back to the original problem, the initial conversion from Kindle to epub on 2 particular titles so that I can read them on my PRS-T2 crashes Reader for PC. So taking your point I am not sure how to use Calibre to manage content to overcome that initial conversion as it works very well, using the same parameters, on all other conversions I have done. I await your comments.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony68 View Post
Hi
Double conversion worked. First try - "Defective" epub to pdf to epub. pdf file and second epub file loads to Reader for PC OK. Second try "Defective" epub to mobi to epub. Again second epub loads OK. Just to prove a point, title removed from Calibre library and original Kindle file imported and converted to epub. This epub file crashes Reader. One observation is that the Kindle file has extension .azw but shows up in Calibre as .azw3. Is this significant? I have to admit that I do not understand what is going on especially as the second try was via a Kindle format. Ideas please.
Problem solved in a round about way so can now transfer title to PRS-T2.

Tony
Glad it worked. I would not go the pdf route, but maybe I have been brainwashed My pdf to epub conversions are actually usually successful if the input pdf is standard.

Anyway congrats on getting the book readable on your ereader, which is always my first priority. If it is good enough to read, I don't worry about the internal CSS, philistine that I am.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote