Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Store staffing levels increased and hired temporary workers for next week.

FCC hasnt as of yet indicated new device.
Where did you see about the staffing?

I saw reports dated from July that indicated that B&N had put a device in for FCC certification.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
A couple of B&N employees at nookboards have posted such. Also, local employees have commented on schedule changes to customers.

That FCC cert most likely is already in nooks as a lower cost 3G component. I believe they replaced tri-band with dual band.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Now Barnes and Noble just announced that Walmart will now be selling the nook on the 24th
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Bam!

Good news. They partner up with Wallie World and put out a slick 2 at a good price and things will be looking up!
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post
How they can have financial issues is beyond me, or could it just be incompetence.
If it is incompetence, it is across the board. All bookstore companies are having financial issues, not just Barnes and Noble.

Personally I find it highly unlikely that incompetence is the problem. It seems to me it is more likely the one-two punch of the advent of the internet coupled with the prolonged economic downturn.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
jedema
jedema began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
It seems to me that it is the retail marketplace as a whole that is struggling. It is all tied to the fact that a book store has to have inventory on hand, same as a clothing store. If you don't have a book on the shelf, it isn't going to sell. unlike what industries have been able to do with a lean inventory, you can't do that with a retail outlet because people are impatient and I would guess that a very low percentage of people will be willing to be put on a waiting list for a book, and I would also guess that people don't want to wait.

All those copies on the shelfs hurt the bottom line and if there isn't a turnover in them, then there can't be any profit. Like you said nyrath, this economic downturn is hurting, but that isn't the only reason. the retail marketplace is going to have to figure out a way to change the way that they do business to stay functional and profitable IMO.
jedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Now Barnes and Noble just announced that Walmart will now be selling the nook on the 24th
Two days before the special event. Coincidence?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Let's hope Walmart demos these right. I was there this morning and they had a Sony 300 on display for $150 and it wasn't working.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20020334-93.html

what do you think guys?
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Interesting. Need specs first.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #26
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Definitely very interesting, but I'm withholding judgement until it's actually unveiled.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
This is all very interesting. nook being sold in Walmart seems like a huge step in growing their percentage in the marketplace.

A colour nook sounds awesome (though too expensive for me if the $250 speculation is right). I wish they'd release a new regular nook though too, that is lighter and with a pearl screen. But I'm happy enough with mine.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

All of the major ereaders are heading to big box stores now.

Best Buy: Kindle, Nook, Sony

Walmart: Kobo, Nook, Sony
Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Rumors are it's 7" color, touch, and android based. If it's LCD screen, forget it. Yet another tiny iPad clone, nothing special other than the price. Most likely that, since there are several already out there and no buzz on other techie sites about 7" color e-ink yet available this quarter (most say 2011 for that). If it's color e-ink and has good resolution, quick page turns, and decent battery, then I may be interested. I just hope they eliminate the annoying and useless lower LCD screen if it is a newer e-ink color screen. Otherwise, I'm sticking with a Kindle 3, because of the light/small size, 6" pearl e-ink, and quick page turns (compared to the Nooks I've used).

Last edited by Bic; 10-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #30
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I will be very interested in this nook. At the $250 price point it will probably be a LCD tablet, but 7" is really the size I want and the price is right for me. If they get a great version of the nook reader on there and it works well I will be tempted. Hopefully they can get some other Android apps on there as well.

If it ends up being a slow, clunky, unstable mess like the rest of the android tablets I will pass.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote