Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #1
kausar
kausar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch(4th Generation)
Onyx Boox Air doesn't show the arabic/urdu text properly

Hi,

I have a unicode urdu books that I want to convert and read on Onyx Boox air device. I have tried multiple formats like html, epub, docx etc. None of these seem to work. I get individual characters as opposed to joined characters needed for arabic and urdu text. I had the same problem on an old Kindle device previously as well which is explained here

Has anyone seen this issue before, is it limitation of Onyx devices or am I missing something?
kausar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
It might be a limitation of Neoreader. Are you using the V2 engine in Neoreader (It's in Neoreader's Other settings)? Epub is also your best bet as it's the best supported format.

If you download this Arabic epub 3 sample does it render correctly with V2?

https://github.com/IDPF/epub3-sample...er-arabic.epub

I can't read Arabic so I'm not sure what's correct or not but they look joined to me. You could also just use a third party app.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Is it simply a problem of rendering?
Have you tried with adjusting the CSS and putting in "letter-spacing"?
Can you copy something that doesn't look right and paste it elsewhere and it looks correct?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
This is pretty interesting topic.
I see that on google play there are specific ebook readers app for Urdu language so i guess is though enough to handle properly
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try KOReader. There has been a really deep discussion recently and improvement of complicated text rendering. They are also open to suggestions if you show them how it renders now and what you would like to see. Checkout their github
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:14 AM   #6
kausar

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
It might be a limitation of Neoreader. Are you using the V2 engine in Neoreader (It's in Neoreader's Other settings)? Epub is also your best bet as it's the best supported format.

If you download this Arabic epub 3 sample does it render correctly with V2?

https://github.com/IDPF/epub3-sample...er-arabic.epub

I can't read Arabic so I'm not sure what's correct or not but they look joined to me. You could also just use a third party app.
You are right. It is limitation of NeoReader. I downloaded the sample file from your link and I am using V2 engine but it still doesn't render properly. KOReader renders the text properly when Font Kerning is set to best.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:18 AM   #7
kausar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Is it simply a problem of rendering?
Have you tried with adjusting the CSS and putting in "letter-spacing"?
Can you copy something that doesn't look right and paste it elsewhere and it looks correct?
Found out that combining characters like these is called ligatures. So it was ligatures issue. This link explains it.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
kausar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Try KOReader. There has been a really deep discussion recently and improvement of complicated text rendering. They are also open to suggestions if you show them how it renders now and what you would like to see. Checkout their github
Tried KOReader. It renders the text properly. I hope they fix it in NeoReader so I can use the stylus to annotate
Old 04-22-2022, 07:26 AM   #9
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Or if you really want to get deep into the whole Arabic rendering:
https://www.w3.org/TR/alreq/
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #10
kausar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Or if you really want to get deep into the whole Arabic rendering:
https://www.w3.org/TR/alreq/
Thanks. That was a good read.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #11
kausar

I found something interesting and weird.
Same ePUB and doc files work fine in NeoReader when they are embedded in zip file. This is so weird.

epub file - copy to device - cant render properly
epub file - create zip - copy to device - everything works
Old 03-09-2023, 12:06 PM   #12
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kausar View Post
I found something interesting and weird.
Same ePUB and doc files work fine in NeoReader when they are embedded in zip file. This is so weird.

epub file - copy to device - cant render properly
epub file - create zip - copy to device - everything works
Just came to say no... no, it doesn't work properly. A Boox device (I'm on Poke4) appears to revert to V1 engine when opening a ZIP file...

The V1 engine does seem to support LTR text a bit... but doesn't support embedded fonts and a lot of other features.

So, if you need LTR and you have the proper fonts on the device, you can just turn off the V2 engine in Settings-Other Settings...

Still wondering how Boox has let this slip for so long.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:08 PM   #13
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try KOReader
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arabic fonts, arabic script, onyx boox, rendering issue, urdu