Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I expect Windows is the issue.

USB mass storage support is ubiquitous at this point. Meanwhile, pretty sure Windows didn't get native USB networking until Windows 8 or 10 and I wouldn't be surprised to find that Windows XP still has greater desktop market share than all desktop Linux distros combined.
And WiFi did not appear until the K3.
And once a zillion bucks have been spent following a certain path, regardless of how wrong, a company will find themselves committed to that path, like it or not.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And WiFi did not appear until the K3.
And once a zillion bucks have been spent following a certain path, regardless of how wrong, a company will find themselves committed to that path, like it or not.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Amazon views USB access deprecated at this point with no plans for further development. No doubt they want us to get all our books from their cloud via always-on wifi.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I use very few tags, in Calibre, the only use for a tag on the device would be the one for collections. I seldom download directly from Amazon, none are currently on device.

I will try the template below.

Where are the .sdr folders supposed to be? This concerns me, as they are in main Documents on both of my Kindles. If they are not supposed to be there, I need to fix that!

My system is Windows 7 and I send to device from several different Calibre libraries.

Quote:
If you have ~2000 or more authors or if you load from both Calibre and direct download from Amazon, then quite possibly.

If most of your books are in the same tag or genre (or you don't use tags), then this template might be better.

Code:
{author_sort:.1}/{author_sort}/{series_index:0>3s} {series} - {title} - {authors}
It gives you top level A, B, C, D, ..., Z folders for your authors. That should greatly reduce the chances of hitting the 2000 item per folder limit.

That said, if you're seeing .sdr folders in the main documents folder (that were from books transferred with Calibre), it seems to me that your Send to device path below is being overridden somehow.
Code:
{author_sort}/{series_index:0>3s} {series} - {title} - {authors}
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That would imply that the books you moved were not at all following that device template?

Manually side-loaded? Downloaded on-device?
All had been sent to device via Calibre using my template. I manually moved them via Windows file manager.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Where are the .sdr folders supposed to be? This concerns me, as they are in main Documents on both of my Kindles. If they are not supposed to be there, I need to fix that!
The .sdr folders should be in the same folder as the books they're linked to.

e.g.
Code:
documents/
  T/
    Tolkien, J.R.R./
      The Hobbit.sdr/
      The Hobbit.azw3
Based on your other posts though, it seems like you're putting the books to the main documents folder instead of using Calibre's Send to device path. If your books are in the main documents folder, then that's where the .sdr folders will be, too.
Advert
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
.sdr folder should be at the same folder level as the book file (mobi, azw, kfx) it belongs to. Each book gets a .sdr with the same filename as the book file's filename.

sdr folder is the place for storing extra "metadata" (things like ".apnx" file that contains page numbers, couple of files for storing bookmarks, notes and last-page-read position, X-Ray info for retail ebooks from Kindle Store).
Calibre creates it when it sends apnx file alongside the book file itself, and. Kindle would create it anyways the first time you open newly transfered book.

I'm curious as to why are you manually moving the books using Explorer? And/Or why you insist on having a folder named "Downloads" inside "documents" folder?

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-14-2019 at 10:48 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was under the impression that it was only the root directory in a FAT file system that had a limit on the number of items it could contain?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was under the impression that it was only the root directory in a FAT file system that had a limit on the number of items it could contain?
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Based on the above, seems like maximum 4,194,304 files on volume. No specific limit per directory. As I mentioned earlier though, I suspect the 2,000 limit is Kindle-specific likely due to performance reasons or bugs.

I have folders on a FAT32 partition with more than 6,000 EPUB files (and perhaps even one that contains 20,000 XML files). EPUB folder is slow to load but other than that it works just fine.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
FAT32 does not have a defined size for its directory (name entries), it is dynamically allocated and chained together.

IIRC, it is the way it stores long names that becomes unusable with a large number of entries.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Or why you insist on having a folder named "Downloads" inside "documents" folder?
I am curious about this too. Amazon's instructions say to place books into "documents".

I have noticed that with recent firmware versions on my Oasis instead of downloading books to the "documents" folder, Amazon instead places newly downloaded books into "documents/Downloads/items01". I assume that this change is intended to reduce the number of books in any single folder.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #26
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
"documents/Downloads" folder appears on KOA2 and PW4 only.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
"documents/Downloads" folder appears on KOA2 and PW4 only.
Hmm...
The two "Androidized" file system layouts.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The .sdr folders should be in the same folder as the books they're linked to.

e.g.
Code:
documents/
  T/
    Tolkien, J.R.R./
      The Hobbit.sdr/
      The Hobbit.azw3
Based on your other posts though, it seems like you're putting the books to the main documents folder instead of using Calibre's Send to device path. If your books are in the main documents folder, then that's where the .sdr folders will be, too.
I used your template and have the same result. The book file and the .sdr folder are both in the main documents folder. In the file it shows 01 - title, with a corresponding .sdr folder. I would like to see them organized by letter, as you describe.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post

I'm curious as to why are you manually moving the books using Explorer? And/Or why you insist on having a folder named "Downloads" inside "documents" folder?
As described in the message in post one, which recommended doing so. The "downloads" folder was already there, so I created a "documents" folder inside of it.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I used your template and have the same result. The book file and the .sdr folder are both in the main documents folder. In the file it shows 01 - title, with a corresponding .sdr folder. I would like to see them organized by letter, as you describe.
Question is how exactly are you transferring ebooks to your Kindle? If you manually copy to the documents folder via Windows file manager, then that's where they'll be. Changing the Calibre template will have no effect on that.
Quote:
All had been sent to device via Calibre using my template. I manually moved them via Windows file manager.