Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Possible to restrict Spell-Check to selected or current file?

Just wondering if there is a way to do this, similar to Search and Replace, other than loading the desired single file into a separate epub.

Sometimes, especially when dealing with multi-language files, it would be handy to isolate a single “page” to deal with.

But loading it into a separate book is really not a huge job, so no big thing if that is the way I must go.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Just delete all other files except those you wanna check.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply.
I am glad it doesn't come up often, but it is really not a horrible situation, just mildly frustrating.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
How about turning on auto spellcheck on that page and look for the red squiggly lines?
Or am I mssing something?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:19 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Oh, I always have the squiggly lines turned on. But being able to use the Spellcheck dialog on an isolated file would allow to "automatically" correct a word only on that file, but not on others.

For example, I am working on a book with some stories that have "British" spelling, and others that use "American" spelling. So it would be handy if "color" appears on a British file and needs correction to "colour" in *that* file, but not in the files that use American spelling.

As it is now, I must go through the file and correct manually, either by typing over the word, or by using Search and Replace to find multiple instances of that word --- using the Spellcheck auto-correction would change every occurrence in the book in one step, even the places I don't want changed.

It is only a lazy granny's wishlist -- don't worry about it overmuch!
Thanks for responding to my post.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 02-14-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Advert
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
For example, I am working on a book with some stories that have "British" spelling, and others that use "American" spelling. So it would be handy if "color" appears on a British file and needs correction to "colour" in *that* file, but not in the files that use American spelling.
Yep, usually happens in books with collections of articles from various authors.

Quote:
As it is now, I must go through the file and correct manually --- using the Spellcheck auto-correction would change every occurrence in the book, even the places I don't want changed.
I almost never rely on that auto-corrector, who knows what edge cases it might botch. :P

Quote:
It is only a lazy granny's wishlist -- don't worry about it overmuch!
Thanks for responding to my post.
I agree with Vroni. If it was that important, I sometimes split each HTML into their own EPUBs and combine them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
How about turning on auto spellcheck on that page and look for the red squiggly lines?
Or am I mssing something?
Hmmm, although it does make me think of a potential addition to the Spellcheck List.

Maybe a dropdown, like we have in Find/Replace:
  • All HTML Files
  • Current File
  • Selected HTML Files

Then you can set it + click Refresh, and the Spellcheck list will get repopulated with the info.

Then when you use the auto-corrector, it'll act on the files like Find/Replace does.

Side Note: Also, think it would be helpful to have a CSV export somewhere. Similar to Calibre's Tools > Reports > Words > Save.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-14-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Quote:
Just wondering if there is a way to do this, similar to Search and Replace, other than loading the desired single file into a separate epub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
SNIPPAGE....
Hmmm, although it does make me think of a potential addition to the Spellcheck List.

Maybe a dropdown, like we have in Find/Replace:
  • All HTML Files
  • Current File
  • Selected HTML Files

Then you can set it + click Refresh, and the Spellcheck list will get repopulated with the info.

Then when you use the auto-corrector, it'll act on the files like Find/Replace does.[/B].
@Tex --- yes, this is pretty much what I was imagining in my OP.
I just don't know how much fiddlin' extra work it would make for Kevin and DD, and whether it would be a worthwhile addition to the feature set. Are there enough of us wanting this to be more than a very small niche group?

PS -- When using the Spellchecker, I usually display multiple occurrences by double-clicking the word in the dialog until I have viewed each and I am sure I want to use the auto-correct on all. Disaster can lurk in the corners! But even doing that, and then using the auto-correct, is quicker and easier than over-typing by hand.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 02-14-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
@Tex --- yes, this is pretty much what I was imagining in my OP.
Ahhh, of course. I must have skimmed right by that. I read "Possible to... Spellcheck... Multi-Language... single page." This is what happens when you try to post before bedtime.

Well we independently thought of the same type of solution then. Great minds think alike!

Another use-case: When you want to ignore front/backmatter, and focus purely on the main text. (Current workaround, delete front/backmatter, readd later.)

Side Note: One of the issues with Calibre's Spellcheck List is that it also includes the toc.ncx (and other metadata files) as well. (Should definitely be optional.)

Quote:
PS -- When using the Spellchecker, I usually display multiple occurrences by double-clicking the word in the dialog until I have viewed each and I am sure I want to use the auto-correct on all. Disaster can lurk in the corners! But even doing that, and then using the auto-correct, is quicker and easier than over-typing by hand.
I just use the Spellcheck List to inform and easily compare words/amounts, and then I go doing all the Find/Replacing manually as I'm checking each case.

After all those oddities with ' or numbers over the years (or how it deals with "words" in URLs), I've just found it easier to replace the words as I come across them.

But yeah, your typical Fiction probably isn't going to have many numbers or URLs floating around.

Side Note: Also, there's the edge cases of code like:

<i>pre</i>eminent

which will show up as 2 words: 1 "pre" + 1 "eminent" and not 1 "preeminent".

In a lot of older books, they used the partially italicize only pieces of words. I haven't really seen it being used often in modern books.

Or when dealing with horribly generated code (InDesign, etc.):

<span>word</span>s = 1 "word" + 1 "s"

or sub/superscripts:

H<sub>2</sub>O = 1 "H" + 1 "2" + 1 "O"

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-14-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Side Note: One of the issues with Calibre's Spellcheck List is that it also includes the toc.ncx (and other metadata files) as well. (Should definitely be optional.)
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️

ot: do you know of an html text editor with a Sigil/Calibre like spell checker - i.e a list rather than one at a time?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote