Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
How does music playing drain the battery?

I've got a 3 hour train ride tomorrow and was wondering how long the PRS-505 lasts when playing music? Will it last the whole trip, or should I ease off on it?

I just want a little background music to drown out the sound of the train. I suppose I should invest in active noise-cancelling headphones someday.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I tested it once, and found that the battery lasted about 5 hours for music playing only.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
ecmartinjr
ecmartinjr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
External Battery & Sony Reader Music

The Sony Reader clearly works great for books. I can only listen to a relatively few songs before the battery is depleted. Is there an external battery pack that would supply the 5.2 volts and enough power for perhaps 15 to 20 hours of music and reading? Even better if it would recharge with the Sony included charger cord (but this wouldn't be required. Thanks. Ed
ecmartinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hmmm.... I could always bring along my iPod mini, I was just trying to travel light.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
duracel makes a charger that runs on 2 AA batteries and is available in a variety of plugs; usb being of them. i bet that would work on the 505 since sony changed how the reader charges via usb
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmartinjr View Post
The Sony Reader clearly works great for books. I can only listen to a relatively few songs before the battery is depleted. Is there an external battery pack that would supply the 5.2 volts and enough power for perhaps 15 to 20 hours of music and reading? Even better if it would recharge with the Sony included charger cord (but this wouldn't be required. Thanks. Ed
This one is rechargeable.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3303
Less that $12. The PSP plug should work with the reader.
Dealextreme sells cheap stuff. Sometimes the quality is not as good as that of higher price counterparts. In general, it works ok for me.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Greymage
Greymage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wireless Reading Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
Dealextreme sells cheap stuff. Sometimes the quality is not as good as that of higher price counterparts. In general, it works ok for me.
I love dealextreme - they are a great source for cheap high-power flashlights (Luxeons and Crees, not the little LEDs), but I had never looks around at their other offerings before.

The only downside to them is it takes a couple of weeks to deliver, unless you spring for express shipping.
Greymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
2 AAs would only give 3.0 volts at best, well below the 5.2 volts the Reader requires. I also once tried to use the Reader as a music player. After one album the battery meter had dropped to 2 of 4 bars.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
ecmartinjr
ecmartinjr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Battery Power when playing music

After placing my query concerning an external battery so one could listen to extensive music I called Sony tech support. I spoke to several people in ascendingly elevated employment positions. Ultimately, no one had a clue as to either an external battery pack or even how much power the Reader uses per hour when it is playing music. "They don't tell us that." All they knew was that you could turn 7500 pages. I have asked for some input from the www.dealextreme.com on point and will report when and if I learn more. Ed
ecmartinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmartinjr View Post
[snip]All they knew was that you could turn 7500 pages.[snip]
What they're not told is that you can only get 7500 page turns (I thought the advertised page turn count was 7200) out of it if you set up an automatic button pushing machine to turn the page without pausing to actually read the page.

For normal usage, it is time which is more critical to battery life, not page turns. My battery seems to lose about 1/4 charge over the course of 5 or 6 days whether I'm reading or not. And I certainly don't read 1800 pages in 5 or 6 days! I realize that for battery usage, "page turn" is simply another expression which means "screen redraw" but even with that concept, I don't get 7200 out of a charge!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's absolutely right. Unless you're an extremely avid reader, the Reader will need charging roughly once every three weeks, no matter how much or little you use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I'm not sure I see the point of adding a battery pack to my "carrying around stuff" that's almost as big as an iPod Classic just so I can listen to audio on my Reader. But that's just me.

I recently decided to go with Audible.com books for my plane flights (I'm less weary with them than with regular reading on a plane flight), and went for a dedicated MP3 player that's about the size of a pack of gum, and gets 16 hours of play time.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm not sure I see the point of adding a battery pack to my "carrying around stuff" that's almost as big as an iPod Classic just so I can listen to audio on my Reader. But that's just me.

I recently decided to go with Audible.com books for my plane flights (I'm less weary with them than with regular reading on a plane flight), and went for a dedicated MP3 player that's about the size of a pack of gum, and gets 16 hours of play time.
If you go on a long trip to an island with no electricity, it may help recharge your reader for reading books But then you may want to use a Solar charger like this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4923.
Save the planet

Last edited by mdhuang; 10-16-2007 at 10:54 AM.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
If you go on a long trip to an island with no electricity, it may help recharge your reader for reading books But then you may want to use a Solar charger like this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4923.
Save the planet
Well, see, that idea I totally grok. I just don't get it for the purpose of listening to music.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote